Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
What part of this do you not get? They pulled his truck over to conduct an inspection. Not for an expired inspection. He never elaborated on what exactly they found.
you are right, I didn't understand what he was saying. Thanks for setting me straight. I will add, he obviously had some problems or would not have gotten sighted. Again, you are right though, I didn't read it correctly.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, I didn't understand what he was saying. Thanks for setting me straight. I will add, he obviously had some problems or would not have gotten sighted. Again, you are right though, I didn't read it correctly.

Nita

You still dont get it

SAPD goes Truck Hunting (literally) Even if we are doing nothing wrong, they will hop on the freeway cause people to nearly crash, just to pull a truck over.

and this insnt a regular citation you would get (Ie. Speeding nuff said) its just a Federal Motor Carrier Regulation Violation. I was ticketed (does not go on driving record) for Violating a Regulation. I did not break the Law.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM

113 posts, read 446,088 times
Ok, so go to court fight it and win. Enough said.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,325 times
svg210 -Could you please answer a question about gravel trucks?
I have bee told by Local and State Law Enforcement that those "Stay Back 200' -Not Responsible for Broken Windsheilds" signs are not legal. Is this true and if so why do we see so many trucks with the signs?
Please don't get me wrong,I'm not arguing. I see many trucks driving down the Highway and small gravel /sand is blowing out of them. As you know they chip windsheilds, paint, etc.

A local driver once told me that the signs are posted on the trucks as a way to stop someone from filing a claim against the Trucking Company if their windsheild is broken, chipped, etc..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
They were used in a business law class I recently took as an example of an exculpatory clause. You can write whatever you want on something, but a sign doesn't relieve you of liability if you mess up. If something gets kicked up from the road and hits your car, it's road debris and it's your own problem. If someone is transporting something (gravel, drums, pianos ...) and it falls from their trailer and hits someone's car it's the fault of whoever dropped it.

In the case of gravel and trucks, it's really one person's word against another. In other words, good luck proving anything unless you have a video of it falling and hitting your car.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
svg210 -Could you please answer a question about gravel trucks?
I have bee told by Local and State Law Enforcement that those "Stay Back 200' -Not Responsible for Broken Windsheilds" signs are not legal. Is this true and if so why do we see so many trucks with the signs?
Please don't get me wrong,I'm not arguing. I see many trucks driving down the Highway and small gravel /sand is blowing out of them. As you know they chip windsheilds, paint, etc.

A local driver once told me that the signs are posted on the trucks as a way to stop someone from filing a claim against the Trucking Company if their windsheild is broken, chipped, etc..
Quote:
They were used in a business law class I recently took as an example of an exculpatory clause. You can write whatever you want on something, but a sign doesn't relieve you of liability if you mess up. If something gets kicked up from the road and hits your car, it's road debris and it's your own problem. If someone is transporting something (gravel, drums, pianos ...) and it falls from their trailer and hits someone's car it's the fault of whoever dropped it.

In the case of gravel and trucks, it's really one person's word against another. In other words, good luck proving anything unless you have a video of it falling and hitting your car.

well, yes and no, we (gravel haulers) wont be responsible if we follow regulations like: Have Mud Guards, Mudflaps, and Tarp our loads. Tarping alone saves lots of rocks flying through. and you'll definitely have to prove that the rock came from the bed (if the load is not covered) because most of the times rocks are flung from the ground up. It happened to me once, there was another driver leaving the quarries and he accelerated and flung two rocks on my newley replaced winshield.

and to answer the issue about the sign is just a precausion (but who would be able to read it 200ft behind?) from rocks that get flung from the ground.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Are cube trucks required to have flaps? Some Mexican imports store truck kicked back a rock pretty well the other day. My car is low to the ground so I was fine... don't know about the person behind me though.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:34 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times
Wait a minute....I don't get it....

SAPD pulled you over to conduct a DOT inspection?

Don't they have to have probable cause to pull someone over?

So you were not violating any traffic laws and they pulled you over?

If so, then that is scary!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:37 PM

20 posts, read 35,866 times
Default Tickets for dumb things

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
That is why sa has high crime rate. Instead of fighting crime gans murders they are giving tkts for dumb things
I totally agree with you on that!

If they would stop hiding in the corners waiting to ticket someone, perhaps they can patrol and assist in a real crime.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Are cube trucks required to have flaps? Some Mexican imports store truck kicked back a rock pretty well the other day. My car is low to the ground so I was fine... don't know about the person behind me though.

only on the last Axle, for Commercial Trucks, and by cube trucks, what do you mean?

A bobtail? (Kinda like a Uhaul)

Or a Tractor, Hauling a Boxed (Van) Trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio