U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,817,892 times

Advertisements

Didn't know you were a pro! Donate them. The George Gervin Acadamy could always use books for kids and non-fiction, perhaps the womens or homeless shelters, senior or community centers could use some too. Places like Goodwill or the library will likely just try to sell them, and if they are "dogs", they will probably just discard them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:18 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,110,104 times
We have found that no matter how many books you take to Half-Price, you can't get more than $8.00

In fact, one of their employees told me that the more you bring the less you get per book as they don't like to look at a big pile. Oy!

Also, most of their stock is remainders for the hard covers. If you want quality used books - Powells, or other online sources. When I live in the NW - you could find neat old stuff there but never here at Half-Price.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 AM

431 posts, read 1,122,738 times
The Great Exchange Bookstore @ Brookhollow/281. In the HEB parking lot, next to La Taza coffee shop.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 AM

12,919 posts, read 14,994,944 times
The last time I was at Half Price I was told that I could NOT donate them. What would they do if I left them there, call the police and report me?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 AM

94 posts, read 211,442 times
Depending on what you are trying to sell, you can list them on homeschooling boards in the sales section. They buy tons of books if they can be used for the subjects being taught.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
Smile Boerne Public Library Friends of the Library Bookstore

I was reading this thread looking for a place that I might sell several sets of used college textbooks that were donated to my library recently.

As I was reading through, I noticed many people asking for a good used bookstore in town. There is a nice used bookstore off Pat Booker Rd near Randolph AFB that does book exchanges. Also, Plato's Closet, that trendy used clothing store in the Forum, buys books sometimes. I don't know how much they pay for them, but I do know that they buy them. I picked up a copy of the 1 Sookie Stackhouse series novel I hadn't been able to find yet there for $2.

However, I wanted to mention that if you're looking for a really good used bookstore, please do yourself a favor and make the short drive to Boerne and visit their Friends of the Library bookstore. You will be SO glad you did. [url=http://www.ci.boerne.tx.us/index.aspx?nid=226]Boerne, TX - Official Website - Friends of the Library[/url]

The people that run it are so friendly and helpful and the book selection is amazing! They even have books for free. I picked up all of my Christmas presents for my husband's family last year for $40. I even managed to find a rare copy of a children's picture book that turned out to be worth several hundred dollars and I paid $1 for it.

Also, it is worth the trip to visit the Boerne Library complex. It is quite beautiful. It has a park with hiking trails next to the river. [url=http://www.boernelibraryfoundation.org/]Boerne Public Library Foundation[/url]

Pack a picnic lunch, and enjoy an inexpensive Saturday in Boerne, except for the shopping you do of course.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 PM

17 posts, read 50,719 times
The Book Rack on Pat Booker in Universal City

Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM

4 posts, read 3,106 times
Hastings in San Marcos....

LR001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio