Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,373,459 times

Advertisements

We are busy lovin' life since we moved in....have attended several very fun functions (one per weekend), enjoyed dinner or visiting with great neighbors. BBQing and sitting on the deck watching the sun set with new friends and a great bottle of wine, and getting the house settled and getting back to work. On a scale of 1-10 I have to rate this place a 12+ and at the end of our first month here, it has far exceeded our expetations. I can't tell you how much fun it is to "play with kids your own age" and have so much to choose from. Once the other home is sold (and we have had excellent showings with 3 couples back for a "second showing" already, I am seriously considering retiring early to enjoy the benefits of lving here. That being said, we are hoping to see an offer soon on our other place. 9 showings with 3 of them being 2nd showings sounds promising...but having been on the market 2 weeks now, I am looking forward to an offer soon.

Welcome aboard Vicky and Greg...you will LOVE it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,048 times
Any solo residents at the Hill Country Retreat?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Lots and LOTS of them...both male and female. There is a VERY active "Uno's" club here that offers everything from singles mingles/BBQ/local trips to extensive travel. The one thing that we have heard time and time again from the singles that live here is they feel safe, have the opportunity to socialize and never feel like a "5th wheel" regardless if they are attending one of our daily activities or a trip out state. We are all one big, happy family here...and it is WONDERFUL!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 PM

325 posts, read 1,016,694 times
Paka,
Thanks for keeping us up to date with how you like it there. It gets me excited too. I wish there was more information out there on Hill Country Retreat. It looks more beautiful than most communities I've seen. I am still waiting for my husband to make the BIG decision to move.

Are there many people in their 50's that live there now?

I hope you and Vicky will keep posting. I love reading about your excitement. Good luck on selling your home. We are working on the final touches of our hometo get it ready for the market. My husband wants to wait until next year to put it up for sale. Let us know when yours sells.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 AM

Yes, a certain number of homeowners can be between the ages if 50 and 54, not certain what the percentage is (I think it is not more than 10%, but not certain) check with the sales office (just ask for Janice Burdick, she is VERY helpful) and they can let you know. It is very beautiful, and quiet, and busy. Funny how when folks say that we moved into an "old folks neighborhood" how shocked they are to find that we do more in a day than they do all week!!! We are a very active group who refer to ourselves as "kids playing with other kids their own age" and do we PLAY!!! Great "sock hop" last night serving pizza as a fund raiser from the Lions club here with donations going to the S Texas blood and tissue center, Tuesday we have the ladies luncheon group with a physician guest speaker, Tuesday evening the golf club committee has a party, Wednesday evening the wine club has their dinner,and we are having a costume party golf cart parade with the party/dinner/dancing at the resort afterwards for Holloween. If you have ever cruised, that is the atmosphere here...the agenda is chocked full of fun stuff, and you are welcome to do as much or little as you care to take part in.

The current average age is 61, with lots of folks still working either full/part time. You should call Janice and get out to see her...she will get you hooked in so that you can attend some of the functions they allow our future residents to participate in...you can see for yourselves the fun we have. The ONLY thing I and others have said was "why did we wait so long to make the move"...it has far exceeded our expetations in the short time we have lived here. As I sit and type this with all the windows open enjoying the beautiful cool breeze this morning, I am struck by the fact I hear NO traffic, not a single car...just the peace and quiet of the hillcountry to enjoy this beautiful morning in.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM

I would love that peace and quiet. We live only 3 lots from the freeway and it is loud. I know that will be a factor when selling our home but my husband feels the pretty decorating will sell it.

Quiet is my first desire and then a beautiful natural backyard would be really nice. I was sent photos that looked like that was very likely. I go and forth between having an acre lot or moving into an active adult community. Both sound great to me.

Do people drive golf carts there much even though there is no golf course? I would love to have one to zip around. Can you drive a golf cart to any shopping, especially grocery stores? Is 30 minutes from the airport a realistic travel time during rush hour?

Thank you for the information. I hope it just keeping better and better for you. I told my husband about your post.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 PM

YES, this IS a golfcart community and we certainly do enjoy having ours. We drive it all over the community, and as for driving it to the Alamo Ranch area I am not sure at all...but don't think I personally would. We are only 3miles from AR shopping center...not a single traffic light between us and all that Alamo Ranch has to offer (everything from Lowes to Super Target, all kinds dining places as well) but we drive the car. I think that since the laws changed here on 1 Sept, there MIGHT be a chance that it is ok to drive your golfcart down to the shopping area since the AR Parkway has a posted speed limit of 45MPH...but have not seen any. Besides that, folks drive around all the time in their carts here...funny to see someone having a get together at their house and about 20 carts parked all over in front.

My advice would be FORGET THE ACRE LOT!!! First, you have the taxes...then the upkeep. Come here and enjoy all the benefits without all work. An acre within the city limits is going to run VERY high property taxes....you HAVE to come and visit here and see for yourself. All of the benefits of living in the middle of everything on our own little island of tranquility.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,479,401 times
We just moved in last week. Still getting unpacked. The community center is great. Everyone we have met here is very friendly and helpful. Seems you could not hand pick a better bunch of people.
The only thing so far is we bought on a new street, we are the first house, and it is in a construction zone, but it will be over soon and we knew that going in, so it is okay.
We wish we had moved here a year ago, before we made another move, would have saved us some money and the extra move.
We are finally home and it feels good.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 PM

Paka,
You should be a salesperson. I get so excited everytime I read your posts. I so want to get down there to see it. Like I mentioned, the photos were more beautiful than I would have imagined. Lots of trees and curves and hills.

Thank you also, AliveandWellinSA, I hope you will also love your new home and community.

I am more familiar with Georgetown and Sun City there. I have not had a chance to see much of San Antonio yet. We are waiting for an opening in the area.

I'll post when we finally get to come down. We are saving vacation days for the big move but I think we will make one more trip. He will be working at the airport. We think about so many areas and I keep coming back to Texas. I just love the people there. It really felt like home. I hope it will be SOON.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 AM

Do let us know when you are headed down this way (you can DM me if you want) and we would love to help you get connected with those that can help answer all your questions for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio