Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

The American College of Sports Medicine is out with its annual 'Fitness Index,' and San Antonio, as expected, ranks 48th out of fifty cities.
Study Ranks SA 48th Out of 50 in Fitness - 1200 WOAI San Antonio's Breaking News, Traffic and
They also stated: Essentially, the Colege says San Antonians are fat and lazy.

Full report:
http://www.americanfitnessindex.org/...sanantonio.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,500 times
refer to my post in the "Who kissed Tony Parker"

Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Fit and Fat are two different things. Writers need to remember that. They also didn't provide the source of the article and misspelled college in the article. Thumbs up to that article. It was a winner.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Don't know what golf courses have to do with fitness? Most people on a golf course are riding in a cart and drinking beer.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Also, I don't understand the correlation between dog parks and fitness? Are the pet owners running around obstacle courses and smelling each others butts?

Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM

340 posts, read 586,424 times
Golf is a fitness sport? Really? Really? Because you walk from a motorized cart to the tee?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:11 PM

500 posts, read 969,642 times
Riding in a golf cart is a personal choice. So is eating poorly, smoking, and driving aggressively. And while I personally prefer to walk a course, you would be surprised to learn the number of calories burned while riding a golf cart over the course of a round.

Golf is a very good form of fitness exercise. Walking a course is the equivalent of walking over 5 miles. Add to that, just the motion of swinging, bending down and back up over 150 times over the course of a round, are the reasons the experts include golf in fitness studies, and why golf is an important component of any city's parks and recreation program. Add the fact that golf can be enjoyed by people in their 80's and 90's. A lifelong form of exercise, as opposed to basketball or football. Show me an 80 year old who still plays tennis or baseball!

You would be surprised to see how many senior citizens in San Antonio walk the course as opposed to riding. I play with folks in their late '70's who still walk, and they are quite fit. Now, I will say that when the temperature hits 100 during the summer months, I will ride a cart. I will also say that I consider myself pretty fit, and that after playing a round of golf (riding in a cart) in August or September, I feel more wiped out than if I had walked for more than 2 hours (which is what I do on days I don't golf).

Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
When these types of rankings put San Antonio into a favorable spot, it seems as if the people on this forum will laud them. When a different ranking using pretty much the same criteria puts us in a bad spot, people will nitpick over the criteria used. I really don't think that the number of fitness activities around town should be used; but, you can't really argue with statistics on obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM

500 posts, read 969,642 times
Personally, I believe that by including these statistics does illustrate the value the population puts on such activities. And that where general lifestyle priorities lie within the population.

And yes, unfortunately you can't argue with the heath statistics.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:40 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Personally, I believe that by including these statistics does illustrate the value the population puts on such activities. And that where general lifestyle priorities lie within the population.

And yes, unfortunately you can't argue with the heath statistics.

These statistics are pointless when it comes to being fat. Playing golf doesn't make you fit and not playing doesn't make you fat. I don't have great access to a dog park so their for I must be fat...what?

The only statistic that you should look at would be the rate of obesity/over weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio