Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 12,349 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm moving to San Antonio in 7 weeks and I need to pick out an apartment in my price range that isn't too far from work. The best part is that I'm going to have to pick it blind!!! I will not have a chance to actually visit the complex before I move out there. I found 2 apartments that offer the floorplan I want at the price I want... there are definitely some tradeoffs.

Mission Ranch (5600 Babcock Rd.) about 6.5 miles away from work, and Abbey at Medical Center (5450 Rowley Road) about 9.3 miles from work.

I've looked at dozens and dozens of apartments and I've found much nicer than these, but these meet mine and my boyfriend's needs and the price is right. However, I'm not going to get stuck somewhere for 12 months that is a miserable place to be.

I just need honest opinions about which location is better for a first-timer in San Antonio. Is one place safer than another? Is one more centrally located than the other in terms of things to do? Is location prettier than the other? ANY information you can provide me with would be AWESOME!!!

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:17 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Here you go:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 PM

63 posts, read 227,238 times
Mission Ranch Apartments Ratings

Abbey at Medical Center Ratings

Moderator cut: links from above phrases

These are listings from apartmentratings.com. Mission Ranch seems to get slightly better reviews. I used to live in that area and can give you a fair bit of info about AREA, if not so much about the complex. I do know that Mission Ranch is newer and more modern. Both are actually very close to each other even if it doesn't look like it on Google maps. Both are pretty centrally located for most anything. There's an HEB right on Babcock and the general area has a wealth of diverse eateries. The Medical Center area has always been my favorite part of town to live in due to its proximity to things and also the diversity.

For me, if both places had roughly equal prices, I would go with Mission Ranch. What I do like about Abbey at MC's location is that fact that it is OFF of Babcock. I hate having to turn across traffic when it is a busy main road. This will happen with Mission Ranch if you are making a left out of the complex onto Babcock. With the Abbey, you connect to Babcock via Medical Dr and there is a stoplight, so it is a lot smoother especially during heavy traffic periods.

HTH,
Libra1018

Last edited by Bo; 07-03-2009 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, links to real estate sites should not be posted.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyBernardi View Post
Ok, so I'm moving to San Antonio in 7 weeks and I need to pick out an apartment in my price range that isn't too far from work. The best part is that I'm going to have to pick it blind!!! I will not have a chance to actually visit the complex before I move out there. I found 2 apartments that offer the floorplan I want at the price I want... there are definitely some tradeoffs.

Mission Ranch (5600 Babcock Rd.) about 6.5 miles away from work, and Abbey at Medical Center (5450 Rowley Road) about 9.3 miles from work.

I've looked at dozens and dozens of apartments and I've found much nicer than these, but these meet mine and my boyfriend's needs and the price is right. However, I'm not going to get stuck somewhere for 12 months that is a miserable place to be.

I just need honest opinions about which location is better for a first-timer in San Antonio. Is one place safer than another? Is one more centrally located than the other in terms of things to do? Is location prettier than the other? ANY information you can provide me with would be AWESOME!!!

Thank you!!!
It would be helpful if you could tell us what you guys like to do for fun.

My initial comment is that both of these apartment complexes are in the suburban, generic part of San Antonio that was mostly built in the 70s and 80s. Some people like that sorta thing, though.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post

My initial comment is that both of these apartment complexes are in the suburban, generic part of San Antonio that was mostly built in the 70s and 80s. Some people like that sorta thing, though.
It sounds like she's done a really good job doing her homework. She knows there are nicer complexes, but these meet her criteria....and proximity to work.

SB...there is a lot to do all over San Antonio. The Medical Center area is definitely close to a lot of restaurants, shopping, clubs, theaters etc. Once you get settled in, you would be close to two main freeways that will take you to just about any part of SA that you want.

I personally do not know anything about either complex. The ratings on the apartment websites are very suspect due to management posting raves, and disgruntled residents posting horror stories. If it's got a middle of the road review, that's about the best you can expect.

You may want to check out the San Antonio Police department for crime stats in either area or complex. That might help you make up your mind.

Good luck! Hope it's a bit cooler when you get here. If not, just know that this heat this summer is not the norm. It's HOT, but not usually roasting.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM

9 posts, read 12,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post

Well, we both decided that we're not going to have ANY extra money when we get there so we plan to do a lot of sightseeing on the weekends- checking out different areas in San Antonio. We're both into photography, so we'd like to find some good points to take pics. If we do have money to spend, we love going to the movies and checking out new restaurants. We're pretty simple for the most part.

Ultimately we plan to spend most evenings at home... we like being at home with our dogs so I do want to make sure that we enjoy our new apartment. This is our FIRST time moving out, so we want to be able to come home and enjoy our place.

All your comments are much appreciated!!! We're looking for any assistance we can get.

Are there any complexes anyone can recommend that I may not have thought of???

Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 12,269 times
How many bedrooms & what price range? How large are your dogs? I may be able to help you find something.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:07 PM

546 posts, read 1,499,782 times
My husband and I looked at Abbey at medical center and the upgraded units are fairly nice.

Mission Ranch is a newer property and is gated which personally i prefer. Both are nice complexes one much newer than the other.

I would say check san antonio police department website and see how often theyve had to respond to each address in the course of a year...that will tell you a lot about a property and the type of people living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio