U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

609 posts, read 2,003,758 times

Advertisements

Is the depletion a temporary situation until the rains come and the drought goes away.

Is this simply due to growth, or is it a combination?

Is this problem enough to make someone not move to San Antonio?

We are/were thinking of moving to the NW side outside the 1604 loop. Not sure now if that would be the right move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,194,281 times
Is the depletion a temporary situation until the rains come and the drought goes away. HOPEFULLY

Is this simply due to growth, or is it a combination? NO RAIN, IS THE ISSUE

Is this problem enough to make someone not move to San Antonio? THAT'S "SOMEONE'S" CHOICE

We are/were thinking of moving to the NW side outside the 1604 loop. Not sure now if that would be the right move. GOOD LUCK

Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,500,107 times
It is a combination of unusually high temperatures, drought and--in my opinion most of all--over development.

That said, while there are water restrictions in effect, and more stringent restrictions coming very soon (we are less than a foot away from Stage 3), it is not like the NW part of town is a 1930s dust bowl! You can't water your lawn but once a week (soon two be every two weeks) and only during specific timeframes during the day, and you can't handwash your car, but those are probably the biggest restrictions (See full Stage 2 restrictions here, and Stage 3 restrictions here).

Obviously, the more development there is in the Edwards Aquifer area, the more drain it puts on the water table. It won't get any better, and it is bound to get worse. Until the state does something about it, water restrictions much of the year are going to be commonplace.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,248,651 times
From the Edwards Aquifer site (www.edwardsaquifer.net)

Quote:

Will we run out of water? Unless we start mining the resource by using more than goes in on a long term basis, we will always be able to get plenty of good water for critical uses like eating and bathing. We have never seen the Aquifer less than 90-95% full, so there is lots of water down there we can use if we have to in an extreme drought. However, we sometimes DO run out of water in the top 5-10% of the Edwards formation, and when that happens the springs stop flowing. Lots of people, along with endangered plants and animals, depend on water from the springs. To keep them flowing we have to keep the Aquifer almost full.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:20 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,500,107 times
True...

Quote:
Theoretically, there is enough water in the Aquifer to supply the region for 200 - 300 years, even if another drop of rain never fell. In reality, only a small portion of that water is available to us. In total, the Aquifer may hold between 25 and 55 million acre feet (Maclay, 1989). However, most of that water is not available in legal or practical terms. Springflow depends on the upper five to ten percent of the formation, so the Aquifer is still 90-95% full when all the springs run dry. But even if we were not concerned with maintaining springflows for endangered species, recreation, and downstream interests and we were free to draw the Aquifer down below its historic low, the level would eventually get so low that it would become prohibitively expensive to pump water out. In the long run, we cannot use more water from the Aquifer than what goes into it. A sustained overdraft will result in a mining of the resource (Source).

Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,802,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Is the depletion a temporary situation until the rains come and the drought goes away.

Is this problem enough to make someone not move to San Antonio?

We are/were thinking of moving to the NW side outside the 1604 loop. Not sure now if that would be the right move.
Just read the below thread, so we don't have to rehash everything again....

Stage 3 Water Restrictions (it's getting serious, folks!)

Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,197,381 times
[quote=gregandvicky;9574834]Is the depletion a temporary situation until the rains come and the drought goes away.
Is this problem enough to make someone not move to San Antonio? We are/were thinking of moving to the NW side outside the 1604 loop. Not sure now if that would be the right move. quote]

Is the depletion a temporary situation until the rains come and the drought goes away. Whan the rains come back so will the aquifer level. For a while.

Is this simply due to growth, or is it a combination? Too much growth certainly aggravates the problem.

Is this problem enough to make someone not move to San Antonio? Apparently not.

We are/were thinking of moving to the NW side outside the 1604 loop. Not sure now if that would be the right move. Moving to NW SA outside the loop would make you part of the problem

Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,595,841 times
gregandvicky -Make the move. You'll be fine and I would tell that to anyone.

The current water situation is due to lack of rain over the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone. When we get rain and we will, things will get back to normal but in due time. Everytime we go into a different Stage we must remain in it for 30 days.

When you have time go to www.saws.org and read about the SAWS Conservation Program. Our population continues to grow but water consumption is down. This is due to what you read on the SAWS webpage and the citizens of San Antnonio and surrounding areas.

There are some that are against the City of San Antonio Water Ordinance but you will find many more people that want and are complying. This is the first year that the Water Ordinance extended 5 miles outside the City Limits of San Antonio. I wish that Stage 1 Rules were in effect year round. We can get away with watering our yards once per week. We should not wait until the Aquifer falls below a given level before we get serious about conservation.

Today I was out near O'Connor and 1604 at 2:00pm. Even during the extreme heat people were hand watering. That's OK (as per the Ordinance) but in this heat its' insane.

It's not only the Edward's Aquifer that continues to drop but also the Trinity Aquifer. Trinity Wells are being deepened or new ones are being drilled on a daily basis. This is sad for those homeowners. A current Trinity Well (Complete with pump, pressure tank, etc) with PVC Well Casing and drilled to 900' to 1200' is costing $20,000.00 to $24000.00 . Aren't you glad we just have to turn on the faucet and water flows out?. Thank Goodness for SAWS and yes Bexar Met.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 PM

214 posts, read 466,594 times
Watering (by hand or otherwise) in the middle of the day is pure ignorance and insanity. You are simply giving the water to Louisiana. It evaporates immediately!

There is also a magnifying-glass effect that scorches your plants and grass.

Please do not water in the middle of the day so that I don't have to cringe when I see you.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,595,841 times
I guess those people thought they were going to do some good. All they did was increase their SAWS Bill.
I cringed when one lady sprayed her tree leaves and flowers. I would like to see then in the next 1-2 days. I wonder how loud she can say "Brown and Dead".

I'm going to have to hire someone or get one of my neighbor's to hand water our yard and plants at the end of the month. We have planned a trip to Kansas City, KS. to visit my Stepson. Thank goodness my wife loves cactus. I won't have to worry about them.

Anyone? I'll pay you or bring you back some Kansas City BBQ.

Last edited by wellguy; 07-02-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio