Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Main and Commerce is not just the center of downtown but the very center of all of San Antonio. Going south from Main and then onto S. Flores then back north along certain parts of N. Main, Howard, and 281, all forms a line that divides the city into East and West. Any road that is long enough and crosses any of those streets in italics above will be called, for example, East Basse and West Basse form at 281.

Now to divide the city from North and South you would go down E. Commerce a long way until E. Houston becomes the diving line by the time you reach N. Foster and S. Foster Roads. Going in the other direction of W. Commerce, then roughly Culebra, and W. Commerce again.

It all begins on Main and Commerce. For those who date the beginning of the city to the Canary Islanders, not all San Antonians do, the actual center is San Fernando Cathedral, it was the center of the village that eventually expanded to meet the Alamo and the missions further south in which they all contributed in forming San Antonio. The very northeast corner of San Fernando's property is of course Main and Commerce.

When it comes to road signs though that display how many miles it is to a city or town, such as 24 miles to San Antonio, those distances are actually measured from courthouse to courthouse.

On another note Houston Street used to be the street of downtown, it had all the best storefronts, etc... during that era Commerce was the quiet back street. There have been pushes to revitalize Houston but nothing that has came to fruition.
Thanks. That's a good point. Main Plaza is the "town square" of San Antonio, literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Another spot is the Aztec Theater. It's located at the intersection of St Mary's and Commerce. Commerce is further south than Houston, but it's the middle of the big 3 streets that run east and west in the heart of downtown. The southern one being Market.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 PM

I think the tall building on the Northwest corner of Houston/St Mary's is what used to be the AT&T headquarters, until they moved out of San Antonio a couple of years ago. I really miss that place. On their ground floor they had a cafeteria where me and some coworkers used to eat at when we would venture around downtown. I suppose anyone off the street could just go in and eat there. You could eat and watch the people walking down Houston street. I don't think many people knew about the place. We did because they were one of our clients.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
I don't go downtown much, but when I do, it seems the Houston street/Majestic Theater area is always buzzing and the place that really impresses me the most.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
I think that large orange present from Mexico is the heart of downtown.
I second that. There's something about being right there looking at the sculpture...in front of McDonald's seeing that beautiful sculpture...seeing the Tower of Americas, Palacio Del Rio and Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center. It gives me that special feeling when I pass by there.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
I think that large orange present from Mexico is the heart of downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I second that. There's something about being right there looking at the sculpture...in front of McDonald's seeing that beautiful sculpture...seeing the Tower of Americas, Palacio Del Rio and Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center. It gives me that special feeling when I pass by there.
Wrong!!! It's the site of the biggest traffic congestion in San Antonio!! Gift from Mexico?? Please send it back!! Clear out the intersection. What a major traffic jam!! I saw SAPD trainees everywhere in front of McDonald's as traffic sat stalled for long periods. Hello, get some traffic training please!! Geez !! In reality who knows .. I grew up going to all the great places down there but they're gone now!! Except for the Majestic!!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Where is this Mexican-statue/McDonald's area anyway? I've never seen the statue.

The only McDonald's near downtown that I know is the one right outside of 35 near UTSA campus. I love it because it's been there like forever. Even before they rebuilt the expressways in that area. It's also pretty close to Market Square (another cool downtown spot).

The 2-story McDonald's that used to be on the Riverwalk/Houston/StMarys is gone.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Where is this Mexican-statue/McDonald's area anyway? I've never seen the statue.

The only McDonald's near downtown that I know is the one right outside of 35 near UTSA campus. I love it because it's been there like forever. Even before they rebuilt the expressways in that area. It's also pretty close to Market Square (another cool downtown spot).

The 2-story McDonald's that used to be on the Riverwalk/Houston/StMarys is gone.

Corner of Commerce and ALamo Sts, diagonally across from the former Dillard's.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Corner of Commerce and ALamo Sts, diagonally across from the former Dillard's.
Thanks. I know that intersection.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Wrong!!! It's the site of the biggest traffic congestion in San Antonio!! Gift from Mexico?? Please send it back!! Clear out the intersection
That 'orange gift' is also known as The Torch of Friendship and one of San Antonio few pieces of large-scale format public art. It's not the torch that slows down traffic: It's improper signage, badly timed traffic lights and an SAPD traffic beat that can't seem to direct vehicles in a steady flow.

I see this problem everyday as a resident of King William and having to travel frequently on Alamo/S. Alamo.

Part of making a city unique is HAVING public art: We don't need to get rid of this piece. We need to encourage more artists, both local and international, to mount their work here. For balance, part of a city's growth needs to come from within it's artistic community, not just pushing how fast we can populate and attract even more fast-food chains to San Antonio.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio