Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM

136 posts, read 568,951 times

Advertisements

Bring it on, I'll drive to SO for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 09:27 AM

62 posts, read 143,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Right...because suburbanites are renowned for their adventurous palates...
Ha.... well, far be it from me to comment on the taste and culture of suburbanites, or suggest that San Antonio has a large urban community of hip, monocle-wearing, mustachioed chefs who would walk to an Italian market in summer heat to purchase authentic Castelmagno.

In the context of the question, Stone Oak is unquestionably the best place to open such a business - slapping an Italian grocery store on Hildebrand or South Presa Street is a recipe for vandalism and brankruptcy. It might gall many people here, but the nexus of household wealth, conspicuous consumption, asipirant Rachel Ray housewives and Northeastern transplants is now the Stone Oak area. Sure, it might be horrific to think that a Dentist's wife would dump a $20 block of Pecorino Sardo into an HEB "Hill Country Fare" marinara suace, but that is the taget demogrpahic. People with yards.

I'm not sure the Nascent downtown Condo scene or pedestrian traffic from Cherry Street would provide ample demand for such a store, regardless of how pure their culinary tastes might be. Can you think of a better place to start up such a business?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLumbergh View Post
San Antonio has a large urban community of hip, monocle-wearing, mustachioed chefs who would walk to an Italian market in summer heat to purchase authentic Castelmagno.

I'm not sure the Nascent downtown Condo scene or pedestrian traffic from Cherry Street would provide ample demand for such a store, regardless of how pure their culinary tastes might be.
This post made my morning. Seriously. The snobbery regarding suburbanites and their palates is just hilarious to me. Because someone eats a meal at a chain (one of THOUSANDS of meals over a lifetime) they are automatically somehow lower on the class scale. What a douchebag way of thinking. And if that's the kind of people who are living downtown, count me the hell out. Way out.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:08 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,258 times
Quote:
Ha.... well, far be it from me to comment on the taste and culture of suburbanites, or suggest that San Antonio has a large urban community of hip, monocle-wearing, mustachioed chefs who would walk to an Italian market in summer heat to purchase authentic Castelmagno.

In the context of the question, Stone Oak is unquestionably the best place to open such a business - slapping an Italian grocery store on Hildebrand or South Presa Street is a recipe for vandalism and brankruptcy. It might gall many people here, but the nexus of household wealth, conspicuous consumption, asipirant Rachel Ray housewives and Northeastern transplants is now the Stone Oak area. Sure, it might be horrific to think that a Dentist's wife would dump a $20 block of Pecorino Sardo into an HEB "Hill Country Fare" marinara suace, but that is the taget demogrpahic. People with yards.

I'm not sure the Nascent downtown Condo scene or pedestrian traffic from Cherry Street would provide ample demand for such a store, regardless of how pure their culinary tastes might be. Can you think of a better place to start up such a business?

Great post, thanks you made my day!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 AM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:

You definitely get style points for your response. But it won't surprise you (or my stalking victims) that I don't agree that Stone Oak (or any suburban location, for that matter) is "unquestionably" the best location for a business. Suburbanites (as a general statement) like safe, predictable, homegeneous stuff. That's why that part of the world tends to feature chain stores & a mass-produced environment.

With respect to your contention about "people with yards" being the "target demographic"......most neighborhoods in SA (including SA's historic neighborhoods) have yards. They also have trees, by the way. I would argue that the "target demographic" for non-chain, independent stores (of any type, this one included) are intellectually-curious folks who are well-traveled & well-educated, and who support local businesses. Bolner's Meat Market is a great example.

Before the suburban contingent here freaks out (I'm looking in your direction, Sapphire), I'm NOT suggesting that these people aren't in the suburbs (or that people in the suburbs are stupid, etc.). But I do think there are fewer of these folks "up there" than "down here". There's a reason that AH has Central Market, and Stone Oak has HEB Plus.

It's the same reason our neighborhoods have more independent restaurants with more ambitious menus (Il Sogno, Sandbar, Liberty Bar, Oloroso, etc.) and the burbs have more "safe" chain restaurants. It's not because there's no $$$ in the burbs (or because suburbanites are all hicks, or uncultured, etc.), or because we're somehow superior to suburban dwellers. It's simply a question of how different folks prefer to spend their $$$.

So, to answer your question directly, I think any of the neighborhoods near downtown would be better locations for an authentic Italian food market than Stone Oak.

Of course, as I posted earlier, there's no real need for such a market, since you can get virtually any Italian ingredient at CM. That said, I'd still support an independent market, provided it had the goods...like Bolner's...

Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
As I said, count me out. Here's lookin' back at ya!

Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
You definitely get style points for your response. But it won't surprise you (or my stalking victims) that I don't agree that Stone Oak (or any suburban location, for that matter) is "unquestionably" the best location for a business. Suburbanites (as a general statement) like safe, predictable, homegeneous stuff. That's why that part of the world tends to feature chain stores & a mass-produced environment.

With respect to your contention about "people with yards" being the "target demographic"......most neighborhoods in SA (including SA's historic neighborhoods) have yards. They also have trees, by the way. I would argue that the "target demographic" for non-chain, independent stores (of any type, this one included) are intellectually-curious folks who are well-traveled & well-educated, and who support local businesses. Bolner's Meat Market is a great example.

Before the suburban contingent here freaks out (I'm looking in your direction, Sapphire), I'm NOT suggesting that these people aren't in the suburbs (or that people in the suburbs are stupid, etc.). But I do think there are fewer of these folks "up there" than "down here". There's a reason that AH has Central Market, and Stone Oak has HEB Plus.

It's the same reason our neighborhoods have more independent restaurants with more ambitious menus (Il Sogno, Sandbar, Liberty Bar, Oloroso, etc.) and the burbs have more "safe" chain restaurants. It's not because there's no $$$ in the burbs (or because suburbanites are all hicks, or uncultured, etc.), or because we're somehow superior to suburban dwellers. It's simply a question of how different folks prefer to spend their $$$.

So, to answer your question directly, I think any of the neighborhoods near downtown would be better locations for an authentic Italian food market than Stone Oak.

Of course, as I posted earlier, there's no real need for such a market, since you can get virtually any Italian ingredient at CM. That said, I'd still support an independent market, provided it had the goods...like Bolner's...
"ambitious menus?" really? Has there been an action bases research study that proves "suburbanites" prefer to spend their $$$ on "apathetic menus." It's much easier on the digestion if the fare isn't so gung-ho, scrappy and opportunistic. Especially those pushy appetizers and self seeking desserts. I'm sure people in the suburbs prefer shiftless couscous and lethargic lamb shanks.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:54 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
I live near Alamo Ranch. If it gets built in SO I probably will never step foot in it because I don't want to drive there. I love Central Market but I never go because I don't want to drive there. I agree that it completely sucks the NW Side gets the shaft when it comes to getting the 'good stuff' but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:48 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
"ambitious menus?" really? Has there been an action bases research study that proves "suburbanites" prefer to spend their $$$ on "apathetic menus." It's much easier on the digestion if the fare isn't so gung-ho, scrappy and opportunistic. Especially those pushy appetizers and self seeking desserts. I'm sure people in the suburbs prefer shiftless couscous and lethargic lamb shanks.

I don't know what an "action bases research study" is. But it sounds awful technical...

Old 11-27-2009, 07:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
I don't know what an "action bases research study" is. But it sounds awful technical...
no biggie....I'm sure all the suburbanites got your message, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio