Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 02:26 AM

10 posts, read 99,299 times

Advertisements

I Lived in NYC (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx) all my life for 45 years.

I'm sick of the Winters and Snow and can't wait for spring and summer again.
I don't care for Theater , Art , Night life and the fast pace enviroment.
I hate the bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour.

I do enjoy the outdoors (Parks, Pinics, Greenery and Scenery, Barbeques,Theme Parks, Zoos, Lakes, Beaches in the 70's - 90 degree weather range.

I would also like my commute to work to be within 40 minutes max and not Bumper to Bumper. I don't mind high volume as long as it's moving.

Is there anyone who lives in San Antonio that came from NYC who can compare the two cities and give me an Idea if I will be happier in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 AM

283 posts, read 1,835,806 times
In the past week alone I have met 4 families and 1 single female who has moved from New York City to San Antonio within the past 3 months.

They all love it.

3 of the familes live in Stone Oak, the other family lives in the Dominion.

The single female lives in an apartment in Stone Oak.

Come on down, yankee.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:38 AM

283 posts, read 1,835,806 times
On a side note, I have also been introduced to countless familes and singles who have relocated from San Diego, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Seattle in the past few months. Seems like there are A LOT of people relocating to San Antonio for all sorts of reasons.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:23 AM

554 posts, read 2,306,463 times
I didn't live in NYC, but I lived in Philadelphia, in Center City. I also traveled to NYC frequently, and still go at least once a year. So I have an idea of the fast paced environment you're talking about.

If those are all the things you dislike about the city, then I think that you will find great alternatives in San Antonio.

Depending on where you live, your commute to work can still be 40+ minutes, sometimes in heavy traffic. But if a short commute is important to you, there are certainly opportunities to live very closely to your office in order to shorten your commute. My commute right now is 15-20 minutes. 30 at the most if it's heavy traffic.

Of course, I anticipate that the San Antonio definition of "bumper to bumper" is quite different from the NYC definition, just based on a few cab ride experiences I've had. =)

The weather will get hotter than the specific range you're looking for. For at least a month in the late summer San Antonio is in the high 90s and low 100s.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 AM

82 posts, read 545,964 times
Hi eaaslny!

I am from NYC and I'm moving to San Antonio in 2 weeks. I don't have much to tell now since I'm still in NYC but I am excited about warmer weather...especially since its been so cold here lately. Summers in NYC are awful too. No breeze, hot subway platfoms, etc. The parks are nice though.

My husband and I are actually moving for his job so we probably wouldn't have relocated if this didn't come up. But I do know that I am looking forward to driving. I know the traffic in SA can be bad but waiting for 5 trains to go by every morning before I can *squeeze* on to one just to go 2 stops is unbearable. NYC is an amazing place to live but we've realized we don't have to be broke every month paying an extremely high rent for a 5th floor walk-up that is a 15 minute walk from the nearest subway stop.

Good luck in your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio