Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times

Advertisements

Man, that sounds like a dream come true. My best friend just had sod laid a week ago then immediately left the state on vacation. Guess who's watering? Yes. It's a pain in my ass and takes forever (handwatering, of course). I'm splitting the time with another friend of hers, but dang.

Plus I HATE the thought of wasting all that water. I don't know how to justify that (if it were my own lawn). Now granted, my husband and I haven't even bought a house yet, but honestly, I don't think I have it in me to waste water like that. I have been looking at alternatives like xeriscaping, using all south-Texas plants, even using different types of mulch (including glass mulch), etc.

All that being said, I would miss the look and feel of grass. I'm a midwestern girl; I LOVE grass.

Anyway. Thanks for providing me with another option to explore if we ever buy a house (we will eventually!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:46 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Man, that sounds like a dream come true. My best friend just had sod laid a week ago then immediately left the state on vacation. Guess who's watering? Yes. It's a pain in my ass and takes forever (handwatering, of course). I'm splitting the time with another friend of hers, but dang.

Plus I HATE the thought of wasting all that water. I don't know how to justify that (if it were my own lawn). Now granted, my husband and I haven't even bought a house yet, but honestly, I don't think I have it in me to waste water like that. I have been looking at alternatives like xeriscaping, using all south-Texas plants, even using different types of mulch (including glass mulch), etc.

All that being said, I would miss the look and feel of grass. I'm a midwestern girl; I LOVE grass.

Anyway. Thanks for providing me with another option to explore if we ever buy a house (we will eventually!).

Not a good time to lay new sod! We almost didn't do it at all this year - I had planned to do it in March since last year, but when it was looking like no rain, held off another week. Then it rained with more rain in the forecast, so I went for it (the area was all dirt/weeds before). Fortunate timing as for the first 3 weeks I did water but not much. Still, am kicking myself for not doing it in 2007 when it rained non-stop....

Anyway, grass is indeed a water hog. Best to think about your intended uses and alternatives. With a small kid, we wanted a place to run and play so some of the other hardscaping wasn't appealing. FOr that reason we finally went with zoysia, which is at least drought tolerant. I kind of wish I had done something else with the bermuda portion last year - at the time it was the only area we used, since everything else was dirt/weeds. But now we have the zoysia stretch, we don't use the bermuda portion. Could have done more hardscaping or xeriscaping there, but I don't want to pull it out now. Fortunately, it can kind of be ignored for long stretches. I don't think I could have convinced my husband to go with artificial grass, but had I thought of it before, I would have at least looked into it and made a case for it. Maybe.

All the plantings I've done (around the borders) have all been either south Texas natives or drought tolerant. There are sooooo many beautiful options to xeriscape - usually need water to get established, and occasional watering in a prolonged drought, but generally do ok. My firebushes, totally ignored this summer, look amazing! As does my passion vine which is basically a weed (as in I never planted it). btw - we use our a/c run-off water for a lot of landscape, and if I can rig it this weekend without creating a huge mess, will use the laundry machine water as well. I used to bucket-out the bath water, but have been too lazy lately.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Great ideas, Chaka - thanks! I'm not some big crazy person about the water deal, but I do like to do what I can (sounds like you feel the same way). I'll keep all your suggestions in mind. I love the wash water idea!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,173,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Not a word on price, though...I don't feel like getting spammed by the vendors, so does anyone have an idea of what the price per square foot would be?

--Dim
I found this chart thru google. It says $6000 for 1000 sq. ft. I'm not sure how accurate this is, it is the only website I've found that gave a price.

Residential Artificial Grass

Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM

214 posts, read 499,240 times
I can definitely market artificial grass at a price like that. That's cheaper than a lot of paver stuff, and the money you save with not having to hire me to mow pays for the thing in just a couple years.

Who wants some artificial grass! I'll give my Guinea Pig 15% off labor. (Not an actual offer - I'm joking, and not advertising on here :P)

Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
I was about to make a thread about this, but luckily did a search and found there already was one (amazing how you can do that isn't it?)
anyhow, mySA has a story on this topic (Artificial grass has grown a lot (http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/Artificial_grass_has_grown_a_lot_since_the_60s.htm l - broken link)) and it peaked my curiosity. Having perfect grass with no work sounds like something I would love, but they also mention HOA's resistance to it and I can see where that could be a problem, especially when not so bright people are involved.. the price is also a serious issue. I'm all for saving money in the future, but that's a serious outlay to get it going

Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 AM

I've contacted several suppliers and I'm in the process of getting in with one as I type this.

As far as pricing is concerned, the stuff has a 10 year lifespan with heavy usage (read: sports field!) and can be expected to last for 30+ years on a lightly traveled lawn (like your front yard). A quick query into mathematics shows that after 4 years you're saving money, and for the average lawn those savings approach $3000 per year. Add this to the fact that you have the best looking lawn on the block 365 days per year, and I start to get excited.

A permanently perfect lawn priced much lower than even plain concrete? Sign me up for that.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallybigshoe View Post
I've contacted several suppliers and I'm in the process of getting in with one as I type this.

As far as pricing is concerned, the stuff has a 10 year lifespan with heavy usage (read: sports field!) and can be expected to last for 30+ years on a lightly traveled lawn (like your front yard). A quick query into mathematics shows that after 4 years you're saving money, and for the average lawn those savings approach $3000 per year. Add this to the fact that you have the best looking lawn on the block 365 days per year, and I start to get excited.

A permanently perfect lawn priced much lower than even plain concrete? Sign me up for that.
Where is that $3000 coming from? Water? Hiring a gardener? fertilizer? Gas/elec for the lawnmower?

I'm not at all opposed to the idea of an artificial lawn, and I think it's a great alternative in a drought prone area, I'm just not seeing where one spends $3000 per year on the avg lawn. Perhaps the first year to actually buy the sod and install it (and even then....not really), but on an annual basis? Only way I can see it is if it is the cost of a gardener, which isn't really a fair comparison.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Compare the cost of keeping a green lawn, not just owning a weed field.

Annually (figure 5000 sqft)
$960 to pay someone to cut it.
(Can't link my price chart, but that's the price)

$350 in fertilizer.
(http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-38712.html)

$650 water bills.
(Lawn Pro: Cost of Watering Lawn (http://www.lawnpro-kc.com/lp/cost.water.html - broken link))

Total $1960 savings per year on 5000sqft after the difference has paid for the artificial grass. I exaggerated.

Cost to install Artificial - $18,000

Cost to sod - $4125
Irrigation - $5000
First year total - $11,085
Fifth Year - $20,885
Tenth Year - $30,685

No watering, no mowing, no fading, no edging, no fertilizing, no chemicals, no pet damage, no pests, no allergies and no muddy paw prints. You never have to worry about lawn trimmings, or grass allergies. And it will never turn brown in the heat of the summer. It reduces air pollution because it eliminates the need for gas-powered lawn mowers and trimmers. Many people don’t realize how much time and money they spend on their yard only to have it look terrible most of the time.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM

49 posts, read 138,763 times
kens 5 has a story on at 10pm tonight talking about synthetic grass. is it worth? Beaucoup money!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio