Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:28 AM

46 posts, read 114,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0lden View Post
I went through two extremes in one day! I thought about calling first, but I was worried that the person who picked up the phone might not understand me. So I schlepped all the way to India Store and was so happy to find a giant white banner with the word "Threading" on it, posted on the storefront. It's on the plaza/strip mall sign, too. I walked in, turned left and saw the produce section. I also found boxes and stuff on top of chairs that looked like they might be hiding a threading station underneath. I asked the cashier, and she said that the threader is only there on Saturdays and Sundays from 12:30-2:00 p.m. But always call first.

I had let my eyebrows go too long and wasn't sure if I could stand them another couple days, so I decided to follow another poster's recommendation, Petra's. I made a last-minute appointment with Bea. I got my own little room, and she spent 30 minutes on me. It's a lot of time and attention, but the eyebrows ran $16 and the lip was $15. Just too rich for my blood. I used to be able to get both done in New York and New Orleans for $13-$15. Bea did a good job on the right eyebrow but couldn't fix the left eyebrow. I just have weird eyebrows.

I'll have to give India Store another whirl! A threading salon in the produce section of a grocery store will be a first for me, but I'm all for nice work for cheap prices.

P.S. I used to wax but switched to threading because I heard that it was more accurate and that it didn't tear off skin like waxing did. Also, the temperatures of the wax that some salons use vary wildly! It can range from nice and warm to uncomfortably hot. And I can't be sure of every salon's hygienic practices, either (re-using, etc?). Threading takes a little bit longer of the two, and in my opinion, is the more painful of the two.
Try the "Little India" store at 5727 Evers (I believe it is just to the right of the one you went to). I believe they only do beauty services there (threading, henna tattos, etc...) The card I have says their phone number is 210-521-4778 and email ranisingh7@hotmail.com. I've been there twice and have been very happy with the results. I can't remember, but I think it was $10 for eyebrows and $5 for the lip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 PM

31 posts, read 72,356 times
Friend has a place off Old Pearsall on the south side if that is near you. It's just before Ray Ellison and Old Pearsall called Belen and Co. They do salon stuff, threading, and tattoos. 10-630 I think and someone is usually there for the threading. Really cheap prices too.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM

95 posts, read 232,384 times
i agree with everyone who recommends Little India on evers and wurzbach. i have been going there for over a year and they are wonderful. they do threading everyday and are great!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:47 AM

13 posts, read 31,716 times
Thanks, mimi78218!

Oh, I must have gone to India Store on 5751 Evers Road (I had no idea that there are two stores that are so close to each other which made it confusing--and they're both listed on Yelp). I'll have to check out your suggestion on 5727 Evers! Yes, the one I went to was definitely a grocery store and not just a beauty services salon. So thank you for the description, phone number and email address!

Also, thanks darkernights, for your recommendation. I couldn't find Belen & Co listed anywhere online, but maybe if I am in the area, I can just drive around and look for it.

Backliteyes, I really appreciate the instructional video, but I have to trust my eyebrows to the professionals! I don't have nice, natural arches, which is compounded by the fact that my eyebrows grow downward!

Last edited by G0lden; 08-16-2011 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0lden View Post
Backliteyes, I really appreciate the instructional video, but I have to trust my eyebrows to the professionals! I don't have nice, natural arches, which is compounded by the fact that my eyebrows grow downward!
Ouch, it's rough to have really uncooperative eyebrows. Well, maybe someone else can get some use out of it.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 AM

52 posts, read 113,293 times
Wink Wow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
It's not hard at all to do your own threading and skip paying whatever amount plus tip.

Video I learned how to thread my eyebrows from - but the same technique works all over your face:

Beauty Basics: Threading Eyebrows - YouTube

Thank You Backliteyes, I indeed tried to do this and I was laughing at myself. I felt silly thinking of all the times I had someone breathing directly in my face, BUT, Her instructions were clear and precise. Now I can save me some money and show this to some of my friends here in NYC. I did however had to buy cotton thread because the polyester thread was breaking. But sincerely thank you a million times.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM

Thank you to ang3ldu5t and mimi78218 for the Little India recommendation! Sonas took care of me that day and did a great job. She is only there on Fridays and Saturdays. $10 for eyebrows and $4 for lips. The plaza/strip mall sign that I had seen in my previous visit was actually for this store and not India Store next door! Now that I've been to it, I can't believe that I missed it the first time! I guess I wasn't expecting there to be two grocery/threading combos to be right next to each other.

The hours on their business card indicate Mon-Sat 10:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m. and Sunday 12:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:51 AM

46 posts, read 114,337 times
I tried Just Stringz at Rolling Oaks since we were at the mall. While the overall results were great, I don't know what they did different, because my face was bright red and I had a red itchy rash for 2 days afterwards. This used to happen with waxing, which is why I switched to threading.

I had been to Little India all the times before and while my face was a bit red immediately afterwards, it usually cleared up within an hour or so.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Default A new threading recommendation

I highly recommend Anila's Salon at 5100 Fredericksburg for threading. It's a mom and daughter team. Eyebrows and lip will cost you about $15, and Anila's mom will also do the tip of your nose and chin for that price. I get my hair cut and color done there and at one point, I got so busy that I couldn't think of making a separate trip to Little India for threading. So I got it done there and was so pleasantly surprised. Her mom also gives you a mini-facial, hand massage and foot massage (it's a machine) which is included in the price of the hair services. Check their website from time to time, because if you get all their services, they throw in the threading for free! Make sure to mention the offer. I got a mani/pedi there once and wasn't impressed, though.

Anila

Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 AM

28 posts, read 52,951 times
You know the HEB on Bandera and 1604 has a store inside that offers threading. They always do a fabulous job and are the nicest people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio