Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalezreb99 View Post
I'm 25 . I juust recently lost my job and I have a 4 month old. I've been calling and callin food pantries. But I'm needing to be with in the san antonio area I live border line bexar and atascosa county .I'm in great need of food and. Size 3 diapers. If anyone knows where I can get any help please I pray that u reply to my posting.it just seems as if I'm going threw the worst time of my life right now but I know having faith in the lord will guide me .
Call 211. They will have a list of places you can get food.

Also, if you're out of food and out of money, go and apply for food stamps...they can give it to you the same day if you tell them you have nothing right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,823 times
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it

Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalezreb99 View Post
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it
Call the San Antonio Food Bank directly at 210-337-3663. Tell them your situation and tell them you need assistance. They should be able to help in some way.

Like others have mentioned, call United Way at 211 and give your zipcode to find places in your area, and you may qualify for "emergency" food stamp assistance. If you have zero income, you can get food stamps the same day if you go in person to the nearest office.

You can a Call Center in Midland, Texas that handles and deals with cases by the Texas Dept Health and Human Services. This number is: >> 877-541-7905. << This is so you can talk to a live person as it's usually very difficult to try to reach a live person over the phone at one of their food stamp offices.

Also, I don't intend to mention this as advertising for HEB, as I am just a regular person, but HEB has amazing deals that make it affordable and you can use a little common sense to stretch your money.

RIGHT NOW, HEB has roma tomatoes for TWO POUNDS for only one dollar! Bell peppers are 3 for 1 dollar right now. Anatina one pound Linguine or Penne pasta?! Only a dollar something! I bought some organic pasta sauce from Bertoli as well.

Little things like that can save you money. I'm sure Super Walmart/Target have deals as well but they are too far from me to shop there.

Look for those deals and goodluck to you!

Last edited by xsa210tx; 09-21-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Also, if you have a baby, you might be eligible for WIC.

WIC

Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Call 211. They will have a list of places you can get food.

Also, if you're out of food and out of money, go and apply for food stamps...they can give it to you the same day if you tell them you have nothing right now.
to go the welfare office NOW and tell them you have nothing. they have emergency funds for situations like this and you will walk out with a card and money to get your kid some food. WIC should also be an option for you as well.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times
its up the hill right across from the cvs for food assitance off of patranco, near see world

Last edited by hungry cowboy; 11-16-2011 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: aditional information

Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Since someone brought this thread back up, just wanted to add one thing just for the record. Angel Food Ministries no longer exists, so that's one mentioned earlier that can be crossed off the list.

Mod Note: True, unfortunately - Angel Food Ministries ceased operations 9/11.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-16-2011 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: added mod note

Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
xsa210tx,

Ah, this is such a touching thread! And, the best example I've ever seen of someone turning lemons into lemonade!

You are to be commended for coming here and sharing your experience so openly as you have... I'm sure you have no inkling of just how many people you've actually helped and inspired -- the possibilities are endless!

Thanks, all, for stepping up with him... I have no doubt you'll be doubly-blessed in return!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
I don't know if it was mentioned or not because I didn't re-read the thread, but for anyone who is a student or staff member at any of the Alamo Colleges, there is a food pantry specifically for you to receive help from.

The food pantry is run by the Phi Theta Kappa student organization and it is located very close to SAC, on the corner of San Pedro and Ashby. There is a big house there for sale and the food pantry is temporarily located in the rear of that big house. I am not sure of all there hours but I know for sure they are open on Wednesdays until 3:00 pm. All you need is a student ID from one of the Alamo colleges, or ID proving you work for the Alamo colleges.

The people running the food pantry are very compassionate and friendly and from my own experience, the food they offer is generous and generally high quality. I have received milk, orange juice, chicken, rice, fresh produce, etc. It has helped me many times with filling in our food needs at the end of the month.

If you are a student at another institution, check with your student services or similar, there might be other student-specific resources for you on your own campus.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,426 times
Good Samaritan
(210)434-5531
1600 Saltillo St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio