Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times

Advertisements

I spent almost thirty years flying out of Houston Intercontinental while living in San Antonio. I went to Houston yesterday with my son on business.

Observations:

Houston- No one is from THERE. Everyone is a transplant. Air conditioning has been in use for say 60 years, Picture a third generation Houstonian.

San Antonio- Roots run deep. Go to King William, Monte Vista or '09. You can still see sleeping porches on older houses. Our predecessors knew how to mitigate the heat. Plus it was not as stifling at night. Consider an evening breeze that was cool. You did not have any development north of 410 to suck the evening cool away.

Houston- You can't get there---And if you could it will take a toll both in time, sanity and financially. Yesterday, I only had one pickup pass me on the shoulder. We left the NASA are at 3:30 to find backed up traffic. I-10 that went through many years of construction to widen it now spits in its citizen's face by making the additional lanes a tollway using a tolltag only.

San Antonio- Traffic is a joke it is so easy. OK, I don't travel up 281 to Stone Oak or outside 410 unless absolutely necessary , but even living in the inner Houston, a resident must use the freeways to get anywhere. Courtesy is a void in their interactions with others. Keep in mind we celebrate the victory at San Jacinto in San Antonio not Houston. San Antonio keeps the flame of Texas Independence alive.

Granted there are many more job opportunities in Houston. However, given the opportunity to live in either, I would choose San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:05 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,083 times
Dividends, you're getting lots of good feedback on the SA side, I suggest you post a similar topic to HAIF which is a very active Houston forum. You'll also notice differences between the two cities just from the participants of both sites.

Regarding WilGar's comment on freeways in Houston, I know most "inner-loopers" in Houston spends weeks at a time and never touch a freeway, this is something they actually brag about. However, this is probably not the right family area of Houston for Dividends, it's more urban, hip, and young. The closest in-town area I'd recommend for families is Bellaire, but there are many more in the suburbs that would fit the bill as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,707 times
Any thoughts on whether to live in San Antonio vs Austin?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Oh no! Here we go again.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
You live in Austin for the first rate education, cultural opportunities, diversity, thinking outside the box, finding new friends, starting new relationships, and football.

You live in San Antonio for your family, if you have one by now. None other than I can think of but everyone else on the forum is going to quickly fill in here.

For quick reference, I lived in San Antonio eight years, Austin three years.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DMaxx View Post
I'm well aware that humidity comes from water.....

I spend 80 to 100 miles a week on my mountain bike and I was speaking in my post to how the humidity effects me.

My girl friend lives in Houston and raves about how nice it is to be able to enjoy my patio in the evenings with out sweating, even though it is hotter here.

Current conditions in both..103 at 15% is more comfortable for me than 93 at 58%..

I was just stating that I enjoy the lower humidity of San Antonio, I also like the water and maybe some more rain but not the amount that Houston gets. It's quite possible my needs differ from yours.
Last Sunday (7/26) morning, I was outside (SA) and the humidity was BAD! I thought I was back on Okinawa! Glad the heat burned a lot of that off.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 AM

137 posts, read 283,892 times
Being that I just relocated here, you will definitely love the traffic. People here have no idea what it is. And being on a vacation being stuck does not count. Living 15 minutes from work and having it be a 25 + drive everyday sucks. But yea I make it from i10 and huebner to downtown in 12-15 minutes. Its great.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
dividends, I thought your choice was between SA and Houston?

Quote:
I am about to get a job in Texas but will probably be given the choice to live in either San Antonio or Houston.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
You live in Austin for the first rate education, cultural opportunities, diversity, thinking outside the box, finding new friends, starting new relationships, and football.

You live in San Antonio for your family, if you have one by now. None other than I can think of but everyone else on the forum is going to quickly fill in here.

For quick reference, I lived in San Antonio eight years, Austin three years.
Dude seriously, everything you listed for the overrated college town you can find/do in San Antonio. Cultural opportunities = SA. Diversity = SA.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM

278 posts, read 693,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Dude seriously, everything you listed for the overrated college town you can find/do in San Antonio. Cultural opportunities = SA. Diversity = SA.
not this again...

no, SA is not diverse. Visit a real metropolitan city and you'll understand. every single person that I know that isnt mexican or anglo-white has said the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio