Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,680 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from Austin to Tobin Hill in August. Can someone tell us about the area? We've driven through the neighborhood and seen the obvious places like the brewery and river walk. We were hooked on the homes, they are so beautiful. Also, any book clubs, supper clubs, play dates for kids (we have a 3 yr old son and 17 month old daughter), community gardens, etc would be great. Thanks in advance for the information and see you next month. If you see a moving truck around the second week of August stop in and say hello.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,619,833 times
Welcome to San Antonio!

I can't help you much with Tobin Hill information as I don't live there but I will say that it is one of my favorite neighborhoods, and one I would love to live in someday!

I'm sure someone here can help you with your more specific neighborhood questions.

ETA: You might do a search in this forum on "Tobin Hill" - I'm sure there have been other threads about that area.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:02 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1063 View Post
My family is moving from Austin to Tobin Hill in August. Can someone tell us about the area? We've driven through the neighborhood and seen the obvious places like the brewery and river walk. We were hooked on the homes, they are so beautiful. Also, any book clubs, supper clubs, play dates for kids (we have a 3 yr old son and 17 month old daughter), community gardens, etc would be great. Thanks in advance for the information and see you next month. If you see a moving truck around the second week of August stop in and say hello.
Jason -

Welcome to town! You've picked a great neighborhood. Celeste DF lives in TH, and posts here pretty frequently.

Basic info:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Things about the hood that I really like (I'm just up the street in MV):

Walking through Brackenridge Park;
Grabbing a beer at Web House, Joey's, and Bombay Bicycle Club;
Breakfast at Tacqueria Chapala;
Barbecue at Willard's or Augie's;
Pho at Saigon Express;
Live music & beers at Sam's Burger Joint;
Hogwild Records for music;
Having a quiet, relaxing beer at SA Homebrew (not really a bar, but they always have at least one great beer on tap);
The very-occasional live-music show at White Rabbit (Spoon & the Slackers last year).
Proximity to Pearl, Ave. B indie/punk music clubs, VFW Post on the river, SAMA...

Most of all, a walkable neighborhood with great architecture that's less than 4 miles for most everything you'll need.

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2013 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 AM

188 posts, read 551,288 times
We're in Alta Vista just down the road from TH. We love the area so much and have found many things to do here to keep our toddler entertained. I highly recommend Landa Library in Monte Vista. They have a lovely playground and storytime on Monday and Wednesday mornings. I'd also recommend memberships to the zoo and the Bontanical Garden, as they're so close. There's a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group that meets at Laurel Heights Methodist Church, which might be a good opportunity to get invovled in a playgroup.

Also, if you're going to look for a preschool in the area for your kids at any point, feel free to PM me. We did a lot of research on options and would be happy to share information.

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,680 times
Thanks for the great info, so far we've had a burger at Tycoon Flats, breakfast at Joseph's Bakery, took the kids to Brackenridge, and hit the farmer's market at the brewery. We're looking forward to moving in next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio