Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM

23 posts, read 82,466 times

Advertisements

I was gifted two prints that need to be framed. I know the prints were quite expensive so I want to be sure to take them to a reputable shop. We are a military family, so I don't know a lot of locals. I've asked around, but having something framed is not that common and most people tend to direct me to Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,833,017 times
Good Evening,

We too have several expensive prints that needed to be framed. We selected a local Michael's Store and they did outstanding work. If we ever need this service again we will go back to Michael's without hesitation.

You can usually find a Coupon for Custom Framing in the Sunday Paper Flyer or on their webpage.

I would visit one and take one of your prints. They will treat you and the print just fine and offer many suggestions such as the proper glass to protect the print, matting, frame selection, etc. They always have someone else's work there for you to see.

Custom Frame shops will cost you a pretty penny. We were at first shy about Michaels but not in the end.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,813,036 times
If you truly have a decently expensive print or original piece of work you need framed, I'd take it anywhere but Michaels. Why? Because as a chain, they don't carry proper insurance for the pieces they're handling. I found this out the hard way years ago.

Herwicks or JR Mooney Gallery (both on Broadway) are two home-grown, trusted and well-known framing shops that have worked on just about every kind of project out there. I've had success with both.

BN

Old 07-18-2009, 07:52 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,819,012 times
Is there a frame shop on Lackland? I can't remember if there is.

We used the frame shop when we were stationed at Eielson and the lady there did excellent work.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:19 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,609,212 times
Ok, this is what I did - took two prints (not originals) to Michaels on 281 because there was 60% off framing that week. Looks great. Then I took the original folk painting to Youngblood where I opted for UV glass and it cost me about $180, but they did a good job too. So I'm happy with the suggestions I got here, thanks to everyone here.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm not certain what most would consider expensive but one print (Limited Edition ,Signed, Numbered )that was framed at Michael's cost us $300.00 . As I stated we have had several framed and we found that the quality is excellent.

Michael's frames Diplomas, Wedding Photos,and the even make Shadow Boxes for Military Flags, Ribbons, etc. Those items are worth more than our $100-$300 prints.

Michael's also has the UV /Museum Quality Glass.

I would trust them.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,676,023 times
Proffitt's Picture Shoppe (210) 344-7091

Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,813,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
... I would trust them.
It's not about what kind of glass they offer or what kind of work they do, but about the fact that they don't have insurance to cover any mistakes, mishaps or incidents that may happen to your piece while its in their possession. That's not a company I want to do business with, especially when I'm having work done on a limited-edition giclee that's worth $25k.

Even if it's worth $5, it's still smart to only go with a frame shop that carries a decent amount of liability insurance.

BN

Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Just curious. What makes you think that they do not have decent liability insurance that would cover the cost of any damages? Have you had a poor experience with them?

For some reason people seem to think of Michael's as the Wal Mart of Frame Shops.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,804,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
If you truly have a decently expensive print or original piece of work you need framed, I'd take it anywhere but Michaels. Why? Because as a chain, they don't carry proper insurance for the pieces they're handling. I found this out the hard way years ago.

BN
He said it here..he found out the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio