Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:21 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
And don't forget...rats need to go to the Vet too ! Food for thought....
good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
If you go for the betta (thanks, M2 -- I didn't check the post before and it was too late to edit!!) please put him in at least a 2 1/2 gal. tank, a 5 gal would be better. The tank filter will help keep the water clear and instead of changing the water, you would just change the filter. Go to the website M2 suggested for ways to keep a betta. Who knows, you may create an aquarium lover! I got my first aquarium when I was 10 and have had an active tank ever since.

I love the idea of the pet rat. My daughter's friend has a pet rat and her mother highly recommended getting one as they make excellent pets. We had gerbils, but I don't think they would fit your son's allergy problem.

~Cat

Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
[quote=cheermomof4girls;9892453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post

What? Is it so strange that all for girls had a pet rat/s in their room?
cheermom --- speaking of your pets, how is it going with your new pet ferret??? --- i am really curious!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,894 times
[quote=mrstxcop;9894237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post

cheermom --- speaking of your pets, how is it going with your new pet ferret??? --- i am really curious!!!
Oh, sorry I forgot all about keeping you updated. It's been a crazy summer. Well, we started out with two, but two weeks after getting them, one of them died. It was an accident. Somehow Jasper got his head stuck between the second level flooring and the cage so he suffocated. This happened overnight. Edward has been a joy. He is so sweet and fun to play with. Their stools are a little bigger than I expected. They are not small like rat ones. LOL He is for the most part litter trained so it's not really a big deal. I did not suggest a ferret only because they are a little more work to take care of than a rat. Mainly because their cage is bigger and eat and drink a lot more. They also require much more human contact than a rat. He does have a little musky smell, but it stays on him, it does not make her room smell like it. It is not bad at all, though. His nails are very easy to trim if you hold them by the scruff and let them hang. They go limp and start yawning, t's cute. Again, you get a better deal finding one off of Craigslist. You can usually find them listed for 1 or 2 ferrets with cage, accessories, and food for between $100-$200. That not including the negotiation.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM

759 posts, read 3,690,146 times
I've never thought living animals make good gifts. They are a responsibility and require money. Just my $0.02.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
[quote=HisLilSecret;9892516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post

I'm thinking the was for saying "each girl had her own cage," giving the impression the girls were in a cage, not the rats.*lol* Of course, I'm twisted, so maybe SnappyBob meant something else.
No, SnappyBob is a little twisted too.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
I've never thought living animals make good gifts. They are a responsibility and require money. Just my $0.02.
A very good point !!!! Re: chicks, ducklings, puppies & kittens. Alot of them are discarded after the "cuteness" wears off.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
[quote=cheermomof4girls;9894594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post

Oh, sorry I forgot all about keeping you updated. It's been a crazy summer. Well, we started out with two, but two weeks after getting them, one of them died. It was an accident. Somehow Jasper got his head stuck between the second level flooring and the cage so he suffocated. This happened overnight. Edward has been a joy. He is so sweet and fun to play with. Their stools are a little bigger than I expected. They are not small like rat ones. LOL He is for the most part litter trained so it's not really a big deal. I did not suggest a ferret only because they are a little more work to take care of than a rat. Mainly because their cage is bigger and eat and drink a lot more. They also require much more human contact than a rat. He does have a little musky smell, but it stays on him, it does not make her room smell like it. It is not bad at all, though. His nails are very easy to trim if you hold them by the scruff and let them hang. They go limp and start yawning, t's cute. Again, you get a better deal finding one off of Craigslist. You can usually find them listed for 1 or 2 ferrets with cage, accessories, and food for between $100-$200. That not including the negotiation.
thanks for the update --- i was truly curious because my daughter wants a ferret so very badly, but i am really nervous about saying yes...i am so glad all is going well for your new ferret and i'm sorry jasper passed...i hope your daughters didn't take it too hard...

thanks again!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
A friend of mine had pet rats - they were cast offs from the lab (she couldn't bring herself to kill them so took them home). They were indeed very cute and sweet, but she let them wander and they liked chewing things up....their dog was happy with them though.

I can't imagine my cat being too happy with rats - well, she would be happy, because they'd be her playthings until she killed them...

Agree about the gift though, a pet really isn't a good gift, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio