Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM

311 posts, read 845,648 times

Advertisements

I searched the forum & have not been able to find any posts about bathtub repair.

We just bought a 25 yr. old home & while cleaning the tub, I discovered a crack in the bottone of the tub in the master bath. That room is so tiny I don't see how we'd get it out (it's a one piece fiberglass tub/shower) without tearing up the tile floor etc. SO, seems the best option is to have it repaired/refinished.

Called the home warranty company & they won't help phooey.

Any suggestions of companies to use for the repair?

Thanks in advance! Oh, we are on the NW side of town in the "50". Thanks again!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
Welcome to the neighborhood, and home ownership!

The big white store with blue letters? You know, the one you used to drive by and go, "hmmmmmm, I wonder what they sell there?" It is now the place where you deposit your paycheck! They don't have direct deposit, but they'll get most of it and leave you a bit for eating and some fun. Especially since you bought an older home--the older the home the more they get.

I don't know of a repairperson, sorry, but they do sell this product at Lowe's--and I'm sure the orange store, too....but I'm a girl and I prefer Lowe's. Home Depot smells funny.

Lasco at Lowe's: Fiberglass Bathtub Repair Kit

Good luck and welcome to the '50! I'm GOING to walk up there and meet you soon, I promise!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
The Shower/Tub looks like its one piece, but its normally 3 or four pieces that all can fit thru a regular doorway. If yours isn't, then the one they would replace it with would be. A couple of other options are, convert to a shower, make it just a shower, bring in just the floor pan, marble type floor, fibreglass walls or whatever, and glass door. or, new tub/shower, with 3 piece wall, that overlaps, it looks very flimsy, but it is in so many houses it works ok, they put up greenwall behind it and then just tape and float the fibreglass fake walls to it, overlapping where the shiplap is so it doesn't leak, normally the front, back wall, and end. The tub stands up, lengthwise and fits thru the doorway. I've made it fit, tite, but it does it.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 AM

311 posts, read 845,648 times
Thank you both! VERY good ideas!

Sapphire, you are TOO funny! I totally agree with you about the funky smell in H.D. ;-) I prefer Lowe's as well - much less stinky

We went to Lowe's 3x yesterday for paint etc. lol Yep, better just sign the paychecks over to them!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
If it's latex and you have any left over.....consider donating it to the association's A-Team....read silvercreek's blog for the latest info.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:15 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,059 times
I had a GF who had the same problem in Dallas.

She took the opportunity to have the tub ripped out and replaced and also replaced all tile/stone.

Of course she is in interior design.

Anyway, Alamo City Handymen just demoed our bathroom, , and we are Ssooooooo happy, give Dave a call.

535-1000

Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
I solved the problem of "no direct deposit". I got a charge card for the big white building with blue letter's. Now on payday I just send em a check. I look at my paycheck, buy a beer and the rest goes to Lowe's.
And I still love old houses.
The cracked tub is an opportunity to redo the bath and make it a shower. It's easy really. I've done it several times.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I solved the problem of "no direct deposit". I got a charge card for the big white building with blue letter's. Now on payday I just send em a check. I look at my paycheck, buy a beer and the rest goes to Lowe's.
And I still love old houses.
The cracked tub is an opportunity to redo the bath and make it a shower. It's easy really. I've done it several times.
The "owe's" in Lowe's is there for a reason!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,625,290 times
Just remodeled two bathrooms, used Venetian Marble for master bath, and Miracle Method for 2nd bath. Both did wonderful jobs. Quality and very professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio