U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 PM

324 posts, read 1,237,530 times

Advertisements

Got a certified letter today from a local repair shop saying my car had been left there and not picked up. Repair shop is one I've never heard on on Ruiz st - and we live on the NE side of town and never travel over there.

One problem - I haven't owned that car in a good 2-3 years. Any ideas for what to do? I sold it as a cash sale on craigslist, and while I had a letter I have no idea where it is.

Don't really want the car back - just don't want to end up owing anything either.

Ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,086,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
Got a certified letter today from a local repair shop saying my car had been left there and not picked up. Repair shop is one I've never heard on on Ruiz st - and we live on the NE side of town and never travel over there.

One problem - I haven't owned that car in a good 2-3 years. Any ideas for what to do? I sold it as a cash sale on craigslist, and while I had a letter I have no idea where it is.

Don't really want the car back - just don't want to end up owing anything either.

Ideas?
Does it have current tags and inspection? Maybe the insurance card is in the storage compartment.

Who sighed the repair order and what telephone number and address was given?

Did the garage pay a couple of hundred for it and is pulling scam?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:57 PM

546 posts, read 1,391,689 times
Did you sign the title over and make sure it was xfrd out of your name?

If you left the vehicle registered in your name and titled in your name i am assuming you could still be responsible. If i were you i would contact the DMV and advise them of the letter you received

Old 07-25-2009, 08:07 PM

324 posts, read 1,237,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
Did you sign the title over and make sure it was xfrd out of your name?

If you left the vehicle registered in your name and titled in your name i am assuming you could still be responsible. If i were you i would contact the DMV and advise them of the letter you received
We signed the title over to the new owners, yes. They took the title with them.

I thought that was all you had to do to transfer it out of our name?

I'll contact the DMV on Monday and see - I know 100% for sure it hasn't been registered in our name at least in the last 2 years

Old 07-25-2009, 08:18 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,918,611 times
Quote:

I'll contact the DMV on Monday and see - I know 100% for sure it hasn't been registered in our name at least in the last 2 years
This is what you should have done, but go ahead and do it now.

https://vision21.txdot.gov/Vehicle/M...ification.aspx

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,670,235 times
Have the VIN number to identify the car. One of the things you need to do when you sell a car direct is to notify the DMV of the sale. That ends your liability of the buyer does not change the title. They could take the car and runit with your plates and it's your responsibility.
I did not realize about notifying DMV until I read the back of a title on a car I sold. It's in the fine print.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM

546 posts, read 1,391,689 times
Quote:

Usually you sign the title over and go to the dmv and confirm its been transferred out of your name and placed in the name of the new owners. My dad always went to the dmv with the new owner or would meet them there. i think in texas if the vehicle isnt transferred out of your name you can still be legally liable for damages that that vehicle may cause and i believe insurance too.

Good luck with the DMV>

Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 PM

3,635 posts, read 6,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
This is what you should have done, but go ahead and do it now.

https://vision21.txdot.gov/Vehicle/M...ification.aspx
Good tip. I didn't know the seller could (and should) do this.

Usually, when someone sells a vehicle privately and the buyer fails to register it in his/her name, the buyer finds out about it when they receive notice about a bunch of unpaid parking tickets that have been racked up since they sold it.

In the OP's case, the buyer probably took the vehicle in for repairs, and never paid for it. Now the shop is holding it, and is now taking steps to either place a lien on the vehicle, or take possession of it so they can sell it and recoup their investment in parts/labor.

But if you've already been paid in full by the buyer, then what do you have to lose? What do you care if the shop gets possession of it or requires that the bill be paid before title can be transferred? Just be glad the vehicle wasn't used in a crime!

Last edited by ged_782; 07-25-2009 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Correct typo.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,415,122 times
Don't feel bad, neither did I until I got a parking ticket notice from two months after I traded the car in!

By the way, I did the paperwork and never heard anything from the DMV or the City of San Antonio after I sent them all the paperwork showing I had traded the car to a dealer. So, either I am clear or one of these days I am going to be arrested for an outstanding warrant!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: