Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
I like that sign!

I have a "beware of dogs" sign, a "no soliciting" sign, and a door mat that says "leave". Our little glass window on our door is covered with a curtain. And a "no trespassing" sign is icing on the cake. My in-laws say our doorway is the most unfriendly they have ever seen... heehee!
ha ha, I have a rock that says leave me alone, but they never pay attention to that. I had one fool that insisted on ringing the doorbell even though there was an active hornet nest next to the door. The fool was getting attacked, but continued to stand there. I just shook my head through the window and walked off..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Reading through these posts, it is obvious other people besides myself are annoyed by these door-to-door solicitors, but more importantly, some of these canvassers could be very dangerous people!

I put a "No Soliciting" sign by front door several years ago after some individuals apparently posing as solicitors (according to what a neighbor witnessed) broke into my house and burglarized it. In addition to the "No Soliciting" sign, I always park in the garage and close the door, and I added some other ruses (prefer not to disclose specifics) that would suggest that someone is home, just not answering the door and/or does not want to be disturbed. But apparently, someone called my bluff, or else it really didn't matter whether someone was home or not, and they broke the front door open anyway.

What makes this so unsettling is that the response they got (none) when they came to the front door would have been the same if I had been at home! I would have had them in my face if I had been there!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 AM

299 posts, read 607,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Reading through these posts, it is obvious other people besides myself are annoyed by these door-to-door solicitors, but more importantly, some of these canvassers could be very dangerous people!

I put a "No Soliciting" sign by front door several years ago after some individuals apparently posing as solicitors (according to what a neighbor witnessed) broke into my house and burglarized it. In addition to the "No Soliciting" sign, I always park in the garage and close the door, and I added some other ruses (prefer not to disclose specifics) that would suggest that someone is home, just not answering the door and/or does not want to be disturbed. But apparently, someone called my bluff, or else it really didn't matter whether someone was home or not, and they broke the front door open anyway.

What makes this so unsettling is that the response they got (none) when they came to the front door would have been the same if I had been at home! I would have had them in my face if I had been there!
Yet another reason to keep your firearm on your side at all times!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM

52 posts, read 197,238 times
Anyone know if San Antonio requires door-to-door salesmen to have a Peddler's License? I was doing a little research and some states require it... if the solicitor can't produce one the home owner can (and is encouraged to) call the police and have them removed... I think there might even be a fine involved which is the only thing that will ever stop solicitors IMO.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope San Antonio has this law... if not Julian needs implement one.

Just sharing: I had a run in with some punk kid who claimed to be at my door on behalf of the HOA... even said that he was at the "meeting last week" (there was no meeting) and proceeded with his blah, blah, blah... I cut him off, told him there was no meeting and that I wasn't interested in whatever he was selling. For the life of me I don't know why I just didn't shut the door in his face like I usually do but we got into an argument about whether or not he was selling anything and if there was a HOA meeting last week... long story short he said something along the lines of "why are you being so ignorant" to me in my own effen doorway!!! I stepped out onto the porch (a 6'3" 230lb ball fury) and told him he had till five to get off my property... I don’t think I ever saw someone who was not in the military execute an about face so perfectly… I doubt I would have done anything to the kid except maybe frog walk him down my driveway but I was real close to going to jail that night. I like to answer the door every time one of these guys comes just so they know someone is home and that “that is the house where the a-hole lives… let’s keep moving.”

Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 AM

179 posts, read 468,581 times
For men only, no matter what they say or ask, always let them know that they can sit on your bed. Nicely, and not in a creepy manner. Kindly say that they are welcome to come sit on your bed. Beware any solicitor who takes up the invitation! I worked for a computer repair company and I was sent to a house to work on a computer. Had a customer keep explaining that he used to work for the CIA and that I was welcome to sit on his bed. I did not complete the job. I picked up my tools and excused myself. I am not made to be in some silence of the lambs flick!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
love the sign mrs....

I used to put a note over the doorbell that said, "Baby sleeping, please do not disturb" and it worked miracles -- nobody bothered us.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
telephone
yes
one moment let me put you on the blue tooth
click

Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 PM

546 posts, read 1,499,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
love the sign mrs....

I used to put a note over the doorbell that said, "Baby sleeping, please do not disturb" and it worked miracles -- nobody bothered us.
Oh thats a wonderful idea... and im expecting too.. maybe i'll put one up that says " Thinking of knocking think again...i am a sleep deprived new mother and my baby is sleeping if you knock you will have a helping heaving serving of my unbridled rage....Thanks for understanding."

Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife517 View Post
First off we are brand new to TX and love it here other then the weather that I am despising so far. Most people we've met here are so friendly which is a nice change.

On to my vent:

I am wondering how others deal with door to door solicitors. I'm a bit of a sarcastic one and like to be armed with good material I'm also curious to see if anyone else gets as annoyed with them as I do.

We would have liked to unpack the moving truck without being bombarded. We live in a new subdivision so I realize there is lots of business/sales to be had here.

I personally prefer to pick up my phone when I am interested in something. A person is less likely to get my business when they show up unexpectedly. I know I cannot be the only one who feels this way.

I have posted a "No soliciting" sign on my front door. It seems that many people are not able to read it though. When I point out the sign some of the people do not seem to understand it. I've also had some people point out the sign to me and say they thought they would try anyway.

I did just find out the laws from my city in regards to soliciting. I am going to start asking to see that permit. However if many can't understand my sign I am doubting they will understand that they need a permit. I am going to start asking from now on. I will then notify the city per their request.

OK I feel better. I had to vent somewhere.

Welcome, and Good luck with D2DSP, When I first moved here, I remember stealing some carpet shampoo's from some stupid lady, as soon as I opened the door, she said "heres a gift for you sir" I then took it and said thanks and closed the door, and she kept banging on it, till her supervisor showed up with the sheriff, and I had to opened and I ended up keeping the crappy carpet shampoos.

Just today some guy was selling heavy machinery tools, and I was messing with him till he threw a fit. He said How will I feel if he would walk away from me, I told him It would make me feel very happy, and he stayed, I had to slam the door in his face.

BTW last I read that sign on Military it says "No Soliciting" in the westcreek area. I will try to get a pic.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementius88 View Post
For men only, no matter what they say or ask, always let them know that they can sit on your bed. Nicely, and not in a creepy manner. Kindly say that they are welcome to come sit on your bed. Beware any solicitor who takes up the invitation! I worked for a computer repair company and I was sent to a house to work on a computer. Had a customer keep explaining that he used to work for the CIA and that I was welcome to sit on his bed. I did not complete the job. I picked up my tools and excused myself. I am not made to be in some silence of the lambs flick!
That would be enough to scare me off! That reminds me of a trick a friend of mine tried a few times. If it was an adult solicitor he would say "Sure, I'm very interested in your product, but let's go take a shower first" Male or female he said that would do the trick and they would leave immediately. I told him he'd better be careful because someone might take him up on that offer to take a shower with him!...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio