U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM

85 posts, read 251,925 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am considering a move to San Antonio and would appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) about the city. I would really like to hear from recent out of state transplants to get their perspectives on San Antonio.

I'm looking to spend no more than $500k on a home. Also, I am not interested in cookie cutter homes so if someone can recommend an area I'm all ears. Most of the information I can dig up are usually new construction tract style homes. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM

314 posts, read 2,458,537 times
We moved here a year ago from the Seattle area, and the city is growing on us. It is a laid back, family oriented, very large small town. You have to be careful with a topic like this because it can get pretty heated. Here is a few threads that might be able to help:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ht=transplants

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ight=outsiders

Old 04-22-2007, 08:13 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,026,600 times
If you don't want cookie cutter homes, then a custom home builder would be your best bet. Here are some places where you can build a custom home on a 1/2 acre on more:

http://www.timberwoodpark.com/pages/frameset.htm

http://www.mw-homes.com/communities.htm

The second link has several other areas you can link to.

Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 PM

11,433 posts, read 17,873,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayag_Mo_Gago View Post
Hi All,

I am considering a move to San Antonio and would appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) about the city. I would really like to hear from recent out of state transplants to get their perspectives on San Antonio.

I'm looking to spend no more than $500k on a home. Also, I am not interested in cookie cutter homes so if someone can recommend an area I'm all ears. Most of the information I can dig up are usually new construction tract style homes. Thanks in advance.

If you value a city with a good transpo system, don't move here! The freeways are downright primitive with no connecting roads between major intersecting freeways. In order to get on an intersecting freeway, you must exit the ramp, then sit waiting for a traffic light to turn green along with at least a dozen cars in front of you. Then you may proceed onto the other freeway. The areas that most transplants go to (stone oak) is also very congested. Road construction appears to be very slow. For example, the intersection of the 10 and 410 was started in 1986 and is still not finished.

There are also huge monster churches that take up big chunks of valuable real estate in every neighborhood, no matter how rich or poor. There is also precious little park space available.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:47 PM

925 posts, read 1,058,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If you value a city with a good transpo system, don\\\'t move here! The freeways are downright primitive with no connecting roads between major intersecting freeways. In order to get on an intersecting freeway, you must exit the ramp, then sit waiting for a traffic light to turn green along with at least a dozen cars in front of you. Then you may proceed onto the other freeway. The areas that most transplants go to (stone oak) is also very congested. Road construction appears to be very slow. For example, the intersection of the 10 and 410 was started in 1986 and is still not finished.
That post has to be some kind of ill concieved joke, right? The only freeway intersections missing interchanges are 281/1604, 281/410 (currently under construction with a 2008 completion day) and 151/410. As for the 410/10 interchange, that began construction in 2000, not 1986.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:38 PM

121 posts, read 416,647 times
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest coming out here for a visit. If you have time, then the longer the better. It's kind of hard to get a feel for a city in a week's time.

I can tell you it is much different than CA. You're from LA not Louisiana, correct? You might enjoy it or you possibly might get disgusted here. Each person is different.

You have a ton of choices with $500,000 to spend on a home. Mine was in the $300s and I am happy with it. Well, except for the siding used on the rear of the house. Siding is so generic looking. If you don't know what it is, it looks like horizontal planks of wood that you see on barns. Oh, another thing is the builders do not level your lots here like they do on the west coast. So the slab is exposed and will look crooked.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want more info. BTW, funny name! Bayag mo rin pare!

- Mr. Pogi

Old 04-22-2007, 11:31 PM

58 posts, read 180,317 times
Hi There! I just moved here from So. Cal in January. I like it here... and plan to buy home within a year. $500,000 will get you a great house in a great area! As far as the person talking about the freeways being bad...I have not noticed this. I prefer the freeways here to Cali...I like the turnarounds =]

Before I moved here people told me all I would find here are cowboys and just a boring city....let me tell you I still haven't seen a cowboy and everything my fiance and I did in Cali we do here. We miss our friends but we plan to make new ones.

I think anyone would enjoy their life here, but maybe if you shared with everyone a little about what you do and your lifestyle, we can fill you in on what to expect here.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 AM

54 posts, read 240,670 times
I second Taraaa17's sentiment.

My family and I moved here from San Diego this past September. We really like it here. Is the city perfect? Of course not. No city is perfect. Coming from a relatively big CA city here's my take on San Antonio: the real estate market is great, the people are friendly, the freeway traffic while definitely having some rough spots is hardly as bad as Los Angeles or even parts of San Diego, the BBQ is amazing, the city itself has great historical quarters in its center, as well as quiet suburban districts on its outskirts. Our community (one of those suburbs) boasts an amazing asortment of families and folks from all parts of the country and from widely varied backgrounds.

As mentioned previously, $400-500K will get you a lot of home, even from a custom builder.

Later,
B.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM

85 posts, read 251,925 times
I appreciate everyone's responses. The housing prices at first appear to be a bargain, but when you factor in the property taxes that no longer is the case. There's just no way I'm gonna pay $1300/mo just for property tax. Follow that up with 20-30% yearly increases...that's unreal!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM

554 posts, read 2,197,191 times
I think you'll find that you can get a great home for much less tahn $500K. If you spend $350K, property taxes should be a problem. Plus, there's not state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio