U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM

445 posts, read 1,711,723 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking into San Antonio suburbs, and i had gotten a few answers on another thread, but i also got a response that there were not as many "great" school district in SA or around, so that i would have to look harder....can anyone tell me where they are?

I would be looking for a suburb in the price range of $400k, EXCELLENT public schools, and i would like newer housing. We have a 2nd grader, kinder and a 2.5 YOL

I used the Texas School performance maps, and looked for the "blue" dots, and saw them in the following areas, can anyone tell me if that meets my criteria? Also would be looking N or NE from SA to Austin (in those areas)

Hollywood Park
Schavano Park
Stone Oak
Stone Oak Park
Hill Country Village
Summit
Thousand Oaks

Also if we lived in Dripping Springs, how long/far woul the commute be? We are in the service business, so i do not have an exact location in SA, we have our office at home, but my husband would need to go there, so was just curious.

Am just looking for any information....that will help me, so i know what to look at when we come out there...

Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 22,345,094 times
I'm pretty new to the city, but I noticed that you didn't mention Alamo Heights. Everybody seems to worship them over here.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 PM

554 posts, read 2,194,968 times
Newer housing...in that price range - I would look in Stonewall Ranch & Stonewall Estates. Its off of I-10 and in the Northside school district. it feeds into a brand new high school - Brandeis. I think that the elem school it feeds into is Leon Springs, and the middle school is Rawlinson. All are excellent schools. I think that they're still building in Stonewall Estates, so you could choose your floorplan and customize decorative features.

The Sonoma Ranch area would also be a good place to look into. Bob Beard Elem is the jewel of the Northside ISD...I'm not sure what MS that area feeds into (Stinson, maybe?), but it also feeds into Brandeis.

The traffic in this area of town is FAR better than in Stone Oak. While some of the other areas you've mentioned have nice homes, they are not newer housing.

AH is a great school district, but $400K will only get you 1800-2000 square feet in a nicely redone home in that area, and all of the homes are old.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 PM

Txrose Thanks so much!!...

Are the areas you mentioned in SA, or another smaller city? That way i can look it up and get demographics and info as well..

I forgot to mention i really would rather live in a smaller town/city...We live in about 100k now, and it is pretty crowded. But we also moved here when i was 12 and there was nothing, and only about 15k people....I liked it better about 10 years ago!! and i am now 35.

Also if you can tell me the city/town, also what shopping is there or how far? Grocery stores, pharmacy, home depot, mall??

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,049,575 times
With the exception of Shavano Park, all of the areas/subdivisions that you mentioned are in the same school district, Northeast ISD. However, there are many different schools within the district.

Link to neisd: North East Independent School District, San Antonio, Texas USA
Look at the boundaries page, and you can see a map of elementary, middle, and high schools.

Link to Great Schools (which has some basic info): GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM

I was just looking at Great Schools, thanks!

Just wanted to ask what anyone thought about the commute to Dripping Springs? Is it horrific, ooppss, i'm sorry that would be my husband commute now from Temecula to LA, 88 miles one way, on th eworst freeways EVA!!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 AM

475 posts, read 1,032,061 times
Dripping Springs is a nice area with good schools, but it would make more sense only if most of your business will likely be in Austin. Yes, Temecula to LA must have been one horrible commute, and here that 88 miles would be easier and probably quicker, but it is still 88 miles. If you will only need to come to San Antonio occasionally, then it might work. If you will have much business split across both cities, I would probably say it might be better to look on I-35 for an area such as New Braunfels which is somewhat more central.

Staying closer to San Antonio, besides Stonewall Estates and Sonoma Ranch, there are still some new homes left in the Vineyard (the Renaissance) near Sonterra/Stone Oak that fit your bill and feed into some of the nicest schools in the NEISD while still allowing you to avoid much of the Stone Oak traffic.

However, all three of the above are close to major shopping areas which means that none of them will have a "small town" feel.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 AM

436 posts, read 1,531,280 times
if you don't mind driving a bit more, look at boerne. it is nw of san antonio, but is a small town with very good schools. you could get a newer home in the $400k range there. I did a mapquest and it said boerne to dripping springs is 65 miles, though.

here are a few links for boerne and places the other posters have mentioned (all off i-10)...

City of Boerne Home
Official Site for Stonewall Estates in San Antonio
Stonewall Ranch Owners Association (http://www.stonewall-ranch.org/PHP-Nuke-8.0/html/ - broken link)
Sonoma Ranch : Helotes Texas Neighborhood Information & Events

ps- if you will drive to austin a lot, I also recommend doing new braunfels, san marcos, etc.- something in between off i-35.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 AM

9,138 posts, read 11,324,913 times
Oh those the most "out" is Shavano Park and even that isn't "out" anymore. While I would recomend it, hands down, 1000% percent it's still well within the city limits. Now, 25 years ago...not so much.

Like some other people have mentioned, take a look at Boerne, or even search through some of the "country" threads. Comal ISD is very good too.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 AM

616 posts, read 1,960,051 times
Quote:
I'm pretty new to the city, but I noticed that you didn't mention Alamo Heights. Everybody seems to worship them over here.
The OP listed newer or new homes as a requirement she was looking for, so Alamo Heights isn't really going to fit the bill. New construction in AHISD is mostly custom homes at 900K and up (WAY up). $400,00 will, as someone else said, get you a nice house that's been redone, but it will most likely be fifty years old and smaller than what $400,000 would get you in new construction in a development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio