Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times

Advertisements

The rain yesterday helped my St augustine. More would have been better but I'm not complaining. This morning I ran the sprinker in a couple of spots that were turning yellow from the sun. I'm hoping with the rain and the sprinkler I can buy a little more time.

If I had to do over, I would NEVER put SA again. It is very demanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 AM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
I hate our SA grass. Sorry, but I cannot understand why they plant this grass. It does not rain enough here to support it. (at least not in the three years I have been here) I know its been an exceptional drought, but I get sick of fighting to keep it alive. We have it in the front yard, and its struggling to survive. It looks pretty sickly. Almost all of the yards in my subdivision have SA, and the only ones that look good are the ones that either have very shaded fronts or the people cheat and water with sprinklers at night. I would replace the grass, but I share grassy areas with my neighbors.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:40 AM

50 posts, read 230,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

I'm considering ripping out all the grass there and putting in assorted drought tolerant/native plantings, but I think the bermuda will always survive....
i'm thinking of making a couple of curvy-edged beds around the trees in my front yard and filling them primarily with mulch.

do any of you green-thumb types have any suggestions for me on how HOW to implement this plan?

here are 2 or 3 photos. the hose in the pictures is just outlining the areas i'm thinking of converting to mulch.http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/MockingbirdHill/areatomulch3.jpg (broken link)http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/MockingbirdHill/areatomulch4.jpg (broken link)http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/MockingbirdHill/areatomulch1.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
How'd you get pine trees to grow in San antonio?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Is that bermuda? If so, it's going to be hard to kill it enough to keep it out entirely. You can try digging it up and drenching the area with a chemical killer.....but that's not fun. I was told though that tilling would make it worse, so maybe digging it up isn't such a good idea.

if it's St A, kill it, put some cardboard down or newspaper, then cover with mulch.

Also ask on gardenweb forums. Excellent source of info.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Good Morning,

We moved to Westreek in 1999, shorthly thereafter I began planting a couple extra trees.CENTEX had planted toe Oaks, I planted a Japanses Black Pine that is now 18-20' tall.
The tree is more ornamental than anything else with its tall curving shape and it also produces small pinecones.

I have been told that the Afghan Pive does well here in this area. I cannot remember where we bought ours. Milibergers, Rainbow Gardens, The Garden Center should al be good places to buy.

All of our trees thrived. I feel a lot of it was the slow /trickle deep root watering that I did for sometime until they were established. I have noticed many othe Pines (I don't know what type /variety) here in Westcreek.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
These are afghan pines... very draught resistant! I planted them as little 3 footers about 5 years ago. I bought them at Home Depot at Christmas time. I love them to pieces.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
if it's St A, kill it, put some cardboard down or newspaper, then cover with mulch.

Also ask on gardenweb forums. Excellent source of info.
Right; it's St. Augustine.
Chaka, thanks for the gardenweb forum tip. I trust this is the one?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:21 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
That's the one. Sorry I didn't have the link handy. Try the landscape design forum.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
I hate our SA grass. Sorry, but I cannot understand why they plant this grass. It does not rain enough here to support it. (at least not in the three years I have been here) I know its been an exceptional drought, but I get sick of fighting to keep it alive. We have it in the front yard, and its struggling to survive. It looks pretty sickly. Almost all of the yards in my subdivision have SA, and the only ones that look good are the ones that either have very shaded fronts or the people cheat and water with sprinklers at night. I would replace the grass, but I share grassy areas with my neighbors.
I replaced the dead Bermuda in my back yard with St Augustine for several reasons. First, two-thirds of it is heavily shaded, and Bermuda needs sun. Secondly, there is a slight slope to the yard, and when we had the heavy rains in the summer of 2007 a lot of the Bermuda washed away. It apparantly doesn't have deep roots. Lastly, with two kids and two dogs, we get a lot of traffic in our back yard. Bermuda doesn't hold up as well as St A to heavy traffic.

Now, in that area where my yard gets direct sunlight the St A is taking a beating; but that is another positive attribute in that it will come back once we start getting some rain (and believe it or not, it will rain one of these days! ).

And my front yard--where I kept Bermuda as it gets direct sunlight and has little traffic, but is still on a slope--is also taking a beating this summer. It does get watered once a week and it was fertilized; but most of the Bermuda in our neighborhood isn't holding up much better than the St Augustine!

With the record temperatures and drought, all grasses are going to take a beating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio