Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 34,981 times

Advertisements

I was wondering from people who work or have worked at either of these companies(I'd be at entry level at either of them) what they think of them. Right now I'm at:
USAA- Closer to schools, Closer to housing, Closer to stores, slightly higher starting pay, mixed bag of opinions on them

Citibank - Out in the middle of nowhere, no place to live, don't hear bad things about them, can use TA sooner, more opportunities outside of san antonio, allow you to change positions sooner, get commission. Driving on 410 is stress free vs I-10.

However I don't really have many opinions from people that have worked at either company.

Last edited by SanAntonio117; 04-22-2007 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM

31 posts, read 156,159 times
I currently work for Citigroup, and my fiancee works for USAA.

My fiancee really wants to get a job at Citigroup because he absolutely hates the way things are run at USAA. From what I've heard, management is terrible, and only out for themselves. The company is very strict, being a military bank, and people get fired over any little thing. Turnover is extremely high and I've never known anyone who worked there and liked their job.

At Citigroup, while not every manager is the picture of perfection, people here have been here for 20+ years. Citigroup is very laid back, family oriented, flexible and full of opportunities. Being out in the middle of nowhere is also great for the lack of traffic. There is actually lots of housing out here, mostly new and in all price ranges and schools are set to be built all over the place.

Bottom line, when I come home after work I talk about all the interesting things that happened at work; when my fiancee comes home, he talks about how much he wants to quit, (but can't because of the money). We also live an equal distance from each workplace, but while I have a nice 15-20 min drive through back roads, it takes him 45min + to fight traffic to work.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,051 times
The only people I know who like their jobs at USAA are those that aren't in a client services based job. i.e. - accounting, legal, etc.

I will echo the pp's comments about high turnover, frustrations with management, being fired over the smallest thing (ex - receiving a personal email at work). These are just things I hear from my friends who have or currently work there.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 PM

69 posts, read 301,595 times
I have worked at USAA but this was years ago. I do remember however that when I was about to leave they had this big layoff and a lot of people were let go. I worked in the Corporate Research Department and like TXRose says maybe that's why I liked it. I didn't have customer contact and saw no employee turnover in the 2 1/2 yrs I was there. Thinks might have changed after I left though.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:19 PM

144 posts, read 687,017 times
Thought I throw a left ball here and ask why do you want to work for CITI and not World Savings (Wachovia). I allways hear that Benefits,pay and bonuses are much better than Citi not to mention management.Also I read in the paper thet Citi was laying off 8500 employees acroos the nation because they wanted to increase profit, But i am sure you have a reason that you don't want to work at World because Employees from USAA are allways moving there.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM

31 posts, read 156,159 times
I can't speak for World Savings, but Citi's benefits, pay & bonuses are nothing to sneeze at. Of course, with any company, it all depends on the position/department.

Also, Citi's 17,000 layoffs worldwide were largely a result of the continuous acquisitions. Ultimately Citi will have more employees than before the layoffs started.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:27 PM

75 posts, read 362,123 times
I currently work for Citigroup out on 211 and i love everything about it. I've been there 6 years and it's a blast. The benefits are better than good; they're outstanding. I've never had any problems with the bank. I do my job and do it well, which in turn i'm handsomely rewarded for it.

My bro-in-law works for USAA and he loves it there too, but i've heard a few rumblings here & there. The best thing about USAA is the annual bonus which Citigroup employees don't get. The higher salary more than makes up for it though with Citigroup, plus if you're in sales you can make $2k to $10k+ extra a month a side from your regular paycheck.

The recent layoffs didn't really affect San Antonio too much. They just streamlined a few departments and gave alot of people early retirement packages. The layoffs here mostly affected middle-management and tenured employees wanting early out.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM

144 posts, read 687,017 times
Oh that changes my outlook of the place , I was under the impression that CITI was a call center..

Old 04-25-2007, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 34,981 times
Citi is a call center. I hear good things about Citi but I really like the I-10 area and it doesn't seem like there are many places to live apartment wise near Citi. There are quite a few in walking distance from USAA. I guess in the end there is alot of opportunity with both employers.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,888 times
USAA.....and thats the bottom line....cause. STONE COLD said SO ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio