Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Krogers closed in this area because the union demanded higher wages and more benefits. Kroger said no and offered less. Union said no. Kroger said Ok...and closed it's stores serviced by that union.
That is correct! I remember going to the Kroger's at Marbach and Loop 410 (across the street from HEB).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 03:06 AM

142 posts, read 338,992 times
HEB (Howard E Butt Company) is privately held. It is quite a large company and it seems to be exceedingly well run. The head is Charles Butt who lives in King William (among his many residences) across the river from his veryattractive headquarters. The company had its start, I believe, in Kerrville and also had grocery stores in Corpus Christi and San Antonio. The company is very visible as a local philanthropy, but a rather quiet and modest one. Their Central Market stores are designed to go head-to-head with Whole Foods and are doing very well. The company is in Houston but not yet in a really big way (except for one or two Central Market stores). I predict they will cause a big stir in the Houston market. The company also has stores in northern Mexico which is where the HEB Plus approach was first given its dry-run. HEB seems to be a progressive company. The first chain that HEB did in in San Antonio was, I recall, the Handy Andy Supermarket chain which at the time that HEB made its move, was THE grocery chain in San Antonio. I didtinctly remember the weekend back in the 70s when when HEB "closed" its stores one weekend and repriced ALL of its merchandise, then reopened and proceeded to eliminate HandyAndy. At one time we also had Piggly Wiggly in San Antonio as wll as Krogers and Albertsons. Now there are only Target and Walmart to keep some sort of check on HEB, but I am not complaining because I am a fan of the company.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,582 times
I wonder what the chances are for something like Publix to start a store in SA.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM

55 posts, read 246,569 times
HEB is very strong. They probably will take over Austin as well!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Probably will? I think they pretty much already have. Randalls is still around near our house, and my wife shops there occasionally, but do you know why? 'Cause she hates crowds and the aisles are almost empty. Sometimes it is kind of eerie. Can't get over the Randalls 'discount' card...if you don't have it, expect to pay two to three times as much as an HEB on some items. Others are similar priced, but it seems to be the convenience store business model now...get in and out quick and pay big bucks.

The real test will be Houston, which appears to be their next target.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,582 times
I think if Publix built downtown, they'd do big business. It's start off slow but a legit grocery store in the downtown core would trigger a major boom in housing.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,492 times
I wish HEB would come in to Dallas. I miss low prices with out having to use a stupid card. Even in north Dallas the albertson's here are ghetto and the Flagship Tom Thumb's are passable.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:15 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,988 times
210 why do you like Publix so much? I have been in several and disliked all of them. But I agree that someone needs to be in the close downtown area for people to really want to live downtown.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:54 AM

60 posts, read 221,290 times
Default Publix Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I wonder what the chances are for something like Publix to start a store in SA.
Again you have a chain not HQ in SA and will take time to re-act to anything HEB does. HEB pricing is base on sheer volume; some products are MU by only a Penny or Pennies.

Kroger's did have a Union problem; however they were already feeling the pressure from HEB. Union just put icing on the cake.

There are two remaining Handy Andy deep in the neighborhoods where HEB would impact them.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:44 PM

174 posts, read 504,948 times
It's to our shame that we've become monopolized by HEB. Many would disagree, but I can't stand them.

We used to have Piggly Wiggly, Handy Andy, Scags Albertsons, Ben Franklin, various warehouse type grocers and many small markets.

For me, the last straw was when Waitz Model Market finally closed it's doors. If you can stand HEB, then you never visited Waitz. The old man and his son went down to terminal market each weekend and purchased the produce. It was inexpensive and the fruit was actually ripe. You could buy Texas peaches, Texas blackberries, Texas blueberries.... now all I get is Californian gassed fruit.... and it's usually suffering from freezer damage. I used to buy a shopping cart full for fruits and veggies and spend a whopping $20. The local Asian restaurants used to buy their stuff there as well. One phone call and the butcher would have whatever special cut I requested ready for me. In the summer, watermelons were to be found on the floor, lining the entire produce section.

When HEB was started by Butt senior, it was closed on Sunday, sold no alcohol and the workers were treated very well. Up into the 80's cashiers were paid higher rates and were provided with 401k's. Now, you are lucky to get 40 hours a week so as not to be relegated to "part-timer" status. Yes, they are doing well, but at the expense of integrity and loyalty to their employees.

When Albertson's finally pulled up and moved out an amazing thing happened. All of a sudden the selection of frozen vegetables began to be replaced by HEB private label stuff. That has continued to where many brands have disappeared across the store. Only those companies willing to pay for shelf space are represented (try and find Del Monte Catsup!). It amazes me that I could find a better selection at the Oak Park Handy Andy in 1970 than I can find in any HEB that is 4 times the size. Did you know Texas has some of the finest pasta to its credit? OB or "Our Best" is a Texas brand and I dare you to try it against any of the imported Italian stuff found in Central Market. Will you find it at HEB? Nope. Albertson's carried it (I requested it after Waitz closed) and I requested it when HEB took over the Lincoln Heights location. It never materialized.

I will say this much in the way of the positive. We do have Fiesta Markets. They carry OB pasta and have some of the best beef I have found. Did I forget to mention HEB meat stinks and 1 out of 3 times poisons me? Unfortunately, Fiesta doesn't carry the select cuts because their customer base is lower income, but the quality is superb. I have NEVER purchased a sub-standard cut or had the displeasure of sour smelling beef.

sheesh... didn't mean to sound bitter, but I guess I am. I just miss going to Waitz and being greeted by the smell of ripened peaches permeating the air. I miss being given a credit because I forgot my wallet. I miss the store manager who gave me a ride home because I stupidly locked my keys in the truck.

_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio