Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times

Advertisements

I remember a while back someone asked on a thread about how to help out with the working dog program at Lackland...this was in todays Announcements at work and thought I would pass it along for those interested....

MILITARY WORKING DOGS NEED FOSTER HOME - The Military Working Dog Breeding Program are in need of Enthusiastic Foster parents to help with raising their puppies. There is a great need for military dogs needing to be sent to Iraq and other places where our military forces are located. So they are asking for any assistance in getting the word out to recruit more k-9 foster parents. More information is provided in the link below. (Click on the DOD Puppy Program located mid way on the right side). Also you can contact one of the POC’s: David Concepcion-Garcia (Puppy Consultant) – phone: 671-3686 cell: 210-387-5737 email: davidangelo7@hotmail.com Lynnette Butler (Puppy Consultant) – phone: 671-3686 – email: lynnette.butler.ctr@lackland.af.mil Tracy A. Shaw (Contract Manager) – phone: 210-671-0845 - email: tracy.shaw.ctr@lackland.af.mil

Hope that this helps connect families that would like to work with these puppies until they are old enough to start training for their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,935 times
Thanks for posting.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:28 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
I think I would get to attached but I really admire people that can do this! My first dog as a kid came from lackland . he just didn't have "the right stuff".

Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
I think some folks WANT a dog, but with maybe future PCS or deployment issues are not really ready to commit to an animal they would have to leave behind. I think this is a great program...but I too would become too attached.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:00 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,520 times
It is a great program and if I didn't already have dogs I'd do it in a heartbeat. I had a friend who has fostered several dogs through them. The reason I say I'd do it if I didn't have other dogs is that they are pretty restrictive in how they want the dogs raised. Not complaining about that AT ALL. But we'd have to do some serious re-teaching of our dogs or this poor puppy wouldn't get the same treatment as our dogs...and I just don't want to hurt their feelings. I know one thing is that our dogs get a treat when we return home at the end of the day and my friend had told me that in this program they do not want people using treats as a reward. There were some other things too...again, it just wouldn't be fair to either side in my house.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM

546 posts, read 1,499,493 times
My two Belgians came from lackland as "rejects" They were outstanding. I loved them both dearly. I would love to do the puppy program but it demands a lot of time...which i sadly do not have enough of at the moment.

I remember working with Barbara Stadts out there with status control she would be a POC if you are looking to adopt a "retiree" usually the older belgians and german sheps or the dogs that just didnt as one poster put it "have the right stuff"

Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Puppies????? oh my! rip my heart out.....there are indeed some incredible people out there that do this!

Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM

23 posts, read 72,531 times
Hello everyone, I am one of the consultants for the DoD Military Working dog breeding Program. It is an amazing program to be apart of. I myself have fostered 4 puppies for the DoD. Every experience has been a whole different adventure. I will agree, that it is not for everyone. But if anyone is interested or has any questions, please feel free to contact me or you can check out:
Lackland Air Force Base - 341st MWD and click on the Puppy Program link.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Just wanted to try to keep this thread updated.. If anyone has any questions please let me know, I'd be happy to answer any!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Good Afternoon everyone!
I just wanted to let everyone know that the DoD Military Working Dog Breeding Program will be attending the "Hoops and Hounds" Event 7 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 15 at the At&t Center. This is a great event and anyone who is interested in our program or looking to give a less fortunate dog a "forever home" Please come out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio