Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Wow, I have been having the worse luck lately. First, I dropped my Zune while installing shelves in my garage. Then, I get a door ding at WalMart (after going to a gun show that wasn't). Then yesterday I was out in the Jeep for a while and when I was coming home I noticed the front left tire was going flat.

I was within a few miles of home so I nursed her in, and today I took the tire to Discount Tire to see if they would fix it. Well, since they use a plug system they wouldn't since the hold is "too big." Honestly, it's not that big; but I didn't want to argue with them. I still love the place.

So now I need the tire patched. Patching has become less common for several reasons, none of which are safety-related. Modern plugs are designed to repair radial tires and are self-vulcanizing. They heat up from driving and "melt" into the tire to become one piece.

Patching a tire can take about 30 minutes, but installing a plug takes a few minutes and usually can be done while the tire is still on the car. Patching costs $10.00-$15.00 while plugging can cost as little as $2.00-$5.00.

But patching--either cold or hot patching--is still a safe way to repair a tire, the problem is finding someone who does it. Obviously my favorite tire store doesn't go it, so I am looking for someplace reputable that does (who will also spin balance the tire after it is re-installed). Any suggestions?

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Most of these tire shops on the south side only use patches these days. Plugs seem to be on the way out. Come down Military Drive to Pleasanton Road or South Flores turn south. Three or four blocks south of Military on either one you'll see a large yellow bldg. (King tire) think they're called.. Not the swiftest bunch but they probably do more flat fixing than anyone.
Used to be some others but these guys are nearly the soul survivors. There's also a little tire and muffler shop just south of Harlandale Post Office! About 4 blocks north of Military Drive on S. Flores!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Man, gotta disagree with you on this one.

Your life and the life of those you love ride on those tires...that is ONE place I just refuse to scrimp. Our kids drove clunkers (and us too for that matter) but we always insisted on tires that were in great shape. A blowout at 70mph, or not enough tread to grip the road is NOT worth a few $$ you might save on the replacement.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Paka

There is no information that shows that patches are any less safe than plugs. It is more a matter of convenience, it's much easier to plug a tire. I've had several tires plugged over the years and never a problem, the worst that happens is that the plug isn't 100% vulcanized and leaks a little air.

I check the air pressure in my tires constantly, and I would bet that 75% of people that drive in SA don't and that is more dangerous than a simple repair.

Plus, blowouts are usually caused by tread separation, a leading cause of which is the design and placement of the belts and overlying tread or the poor adhesion of the tire components. Poor adhesion is usually the result of old and expired adhesives, improper temperatures and unclean manufacturing facilities used in the manufacturing process. Poor adhesion may also be the result of contaminants introduced during manufacturing such as rust, moisture, oxidation, grease, sawdust, gum wrappers and even cigarette butts (source).

That said, tire blowouts are more likely due to poorly designed tires, poor materials, or old and/or worn tires. I have yet to see any substantial research tying repairs to blowouts, and the cases that have occurred are usually the result of an improper repair.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
majormadmax- I'm sorry for all the trouble you went through. I hate door dings so much that I park in the North 40.

Don't feel too bad. I dropped and ran over my cell phone this afternoon. I'm sure glad I have the phone insurance.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Yep! Live with the ding and replace the tire may be good advice. We've got great tires all around on our vehicles . I'm extremely safety conscious especially driving. Blowout or whatever, every ten mph over 50 you increase speed you decrease your chances of survival considerably in an accident. Not to say that I can afford to replace a tire every time I get a thorn in one. But tires are supremely important if you like to push the limits!!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
Havent been there for years but there was/is a place on Rittiman @ 35 that does patches.

Did you buy your tire at Discount? You should get a no/low charge replacement. I love that place! Just today I stopped at one because of a huge screw, and they found another nail in the same tire. Fixable, no charge

Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Personally, I prefer my flat tires plugged AND patched.

The tire shop out at the Petro Truck Stop will patch 'em for you.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Wow, I have been having the worse luck lately. First, I dropped my Zune while installing shelves in my garage. Then, I get a door ding at WalMart (after going to a gun show that wasn't). Then yesterday I was out in the Jeep for a while and when I was coming home I noticed the front left tire was going flat.

I was within a few miles of home so I nursed her in, and today I took the tire to Discount Tire to see if they would fix it. Well, since they use a plug system they wouldn't since the hold is "too big." Honestly, it's not that big; but I didn't want to argue with them. I still love the place.

So now I need the tire patched. Patching has become less common for several reasons, none of which are safety-related. Modern plugs are designed to repair radial tires and are self-vulcanizing. They heat up from driving and "melt" into the tire to become one piece.

Patching a tire can take about 30 minutes, but installing a plug takes a few minutes and usually can be done while the tire is still on the car. Patching costs $10.00-$15.00 while plugging can cost as little as $2.00-$5.00.

But patching--either cold or hot patching--is still a safe way to repair a tire, the problem is finding someone who does it. Obviously my favorite tire store doesn't go it, so I am looking for someplace reputable that does (who will also spin balance the tire after it is re-installed). Any suggestions?

Cheers! M2

it depends where you got the hole, is it on the tire side wall, or tire well? In order to save some technical do dahs, if you have the hole on the side wall (ie. where the tire brand logo is at) then its not fixable, It will be plugable, but It will not hold. If you want some place that patches them up good, theres a place on HUNT and Marbach right behind the Valero (where Napa Auto Parts is at) reasonable prices, and they back their work up.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 PM

I should've noted it is in the middle of the tread, and not overly big. I thought it could have been easily plugged, but for some reason the guy at Discount Auto didn't think so. And I didn't buy these tires there, I got them from a guy up in Dallas who put bigger ones on his Jeep.

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio