Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,521,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4512 View Post
So by reading the posts it seems to be like Plato's is only for young girls?? I was hoping it would be young mens as well? If anyone is familiar with Houston, there is a group of shops on Westheimer in the Montrose area. They are re-sale shops (I forget the names), but American Apparell is in the same shopping area, anyways, I havnt been able to find a store like that here that caters to young men and women, anyone know of any? Thought would be a good post to ask, maybe Plato's will be that store im looking for.
which shops are you talking about that actually have stuff for guys, other than maybe Buffalo and Taxi Taxi and Leopard Lounge. Well, and if you like 70's stuff! Fatoo's shop is absolutely all women's stuff (even tho she's a DOLL!!). My daughter lives there (not in Montrose, but in the Galleria area and hangs out at Boondocks and Poison Girl) I LOVE the Montrose area for shopping (heh, and eating at Katz' when I'm not dieting! LOL!!), but didn't realize that guys (no matter the orientation) thought it was as fab as chicks did for shopping. But then again, I'm an old woman from the suburbs of San Antonio, so wadda I know. -shrugs-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
I took my stuff in today...it all fit in a small Nordstrom bag and they took everything but two things. They were mainly Old Navy and Target items from 2007-2009, so they obviously don't keep too high of tabs on seasons, just what is currently in...because I know for a fact the things I sold were way out of season. I ended up getting $16.50. Not too bad.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 PM

119 posts, read 429,425 times
I"ve been looking for a place like this mainly to get rid of my college wardrobe. I perused the site and it looks like I have everything they want. Does anybody have an idea how much they would offer for individual items such as shoes, jeans, and shirts. Thanks!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
My friend and I took some things to Plato's Closet today and had an interesting experience - hopefully our experience will help other people know what the store buyers are looking for.

So, I'm a little...anal retentive about my wardrobe. My shoes all live in the original box, stuffed with shoe forms when not in use, and my bags all live in their protective bags they came in. I took five or six purses and five pairs of shoes. The bags were Coach, Prada and Marc Jacobs, and the shoes I think were Coach and Marni. I took my stuff up, and the girl peers into the big and announces, "we won't take any of this." I was a little taken aback, because while I was prepared for the chance that they wouldn't take anything, I wasn't prepared to have them reject everything out of hand like that.

The buyer explained to me that my bags were immediately unacceptable because they are designer labels. They have a flat policy not to take any bags that are from higher end companies like Coach, Dooney or Marc Jacobs due to their inability to authenticate them. The same problem with the Coach shoes - nearly new shoes in the original box, but they are not authenticable.

So, Pro Tip #1 : no designer labels. They will take purses that don't have labels on them, though.

Then it was my friend's turn. She recently lost a lot of weight, so she thought she would get rid of a bunch of her old denim, because on the phone they told her that they are desperate for denim. She had jeans ranging from size 14-18 - Levis, Sevens, Calvin Klein. What they DID NOT tell her on the phone is that they take nothing larger than an XL/Size 12. Whoops.

So, Pro Tip #2 and #3 are: if you have nice denim, bring it down. But only if it's in misses or juniors sizes.

From what I could see, the store is mostly aimed towards a teenage audience. If you have a teenage girl whose appetite for fashion exceeds her allowance, this would be a great place to bring her.

ETA: Since I had all of this stuff in the car, we headed up to Too Good To Be Threw, who took all my friend's denim, but couldn't take my stuff. They said it was all nice, and normally they'd take it, but they are currently drowning in purses and shoes.
That is insane. Do what TJ Max does and cut the designer labels enough to read them, but that they might be "suspect". Don't they do something like that....like slash a sharpie across it or something? How silly. All they have to do is put a disclaimer on what they sell.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM

213 posts, read 565,822 times
My Daughter will be thrilled, she moved here from VA a month ago and I had no clue there was a Plato's Closet here, and so I am off to tell her!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 AM

616 posts, read 2,074,676 times
wCat, I thought it was really peculiar too. Pretty much all they would have to do is hang a sign that says something like, this is a second-hand clothing store and we make no warranties or covenants as to the authenticity of anything you buy here. I mean, it seems pretty clear that when you go thrifting or consignment store shopping that it's a "buyer beware" experience.

I haven't been to TJ Maxx for clothes in forever (TJ Maxx Home, though, is magnificent) but I do remember that they do something to the labels to indicate that they are liquidated or remaindered.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM

759 posts, read 3,678,645 times
Well, I gathered a lot of stuff up today, 80% name brand clothing, and some designer. All in good condition and in small sizes. They took 4 items and I got $17. I was very disappointed. I had a lot of Banana Republic and Ann Taylor clothes from my teaching days. So I guess it wasn't as trendy as they're looking for. However, I also had a BCBG dress with the tags still on!! And very much in style... I won't go again.
Now I have 3 bags full of clothes... where should I take them? Too Good to Be Threw?

Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,519,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Well, I gathered a lot of stuff up today, 80% name brand clothing, and some designer. All in good condition and in small sizes. They took 4 items and I got $17. I was very disappointed. I had a lot of Banana Republic and Ann Taylor clothes from my teaching days. So I guess it wasn't as trendy as they're looking for. However, I also had a BCBG dress with the tags still on!! And very much in style... I won't go again.
Now I have 3 bags full of clothes... where should I take them? Too Good to Be Threw?
If the resale shops don't accommodate you, how about one of those organizations that gives professional clothes to those coming off welfare or out of jail about to embark on job interviews...unfortunately, I can't remember the organization!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,253,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
If the resale shops don't accommodate you, how about one of those organizations that gives professional clothes to those coming off welfare or out of jail about to embark on job interviews...unfortunately, I can't remember the organization!
Home - Dress for Success

And that is an excellent suggestion if Lauren is able.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:23 PM

759 posts, read 3,678,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Home - Dress for Success

And that is an excellent suggestion if Lauren is able.
Consider it done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio