Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 32,935 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody- Wondering about opinions/experiences with phase 1 orthodontics for pre teens. My 9yr old has been recommended for a year of braces on his front teeth to close the space between them make room for his eye teeth. Has anyone had a good/bad experience with this? Any dentist recommendations in the Encino Park/Stone Oak region? thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
Several:

Dr Tito Norris Damon Braces Orthodontics - San Antonio Texas - Orthodontist Robert Norris - 78258 - Stone Oaks Orthodontics

Drs Schatz/Bates Orthodontists - San Antonio, TX - Drs. Schatz & Bates - Aloha Smiles

My son is seeing Dr Bates, my niece saw Dr Norris. I also know of others who have been seen by these doctors.

I know there are plenty of others on the area, but these two are the only ones of which I have firsthand knowledge

I can't profess to know about the phases of orthodontics, as we are just embarking on this...Dr Bates had my son wait a year until beginning his ortho treatment, as he felt that waiting a year would mean only one round of appliances. (My son still had not lost all of his baby teeth. He's about to turn 14 and basically ready...we are just waiting until year 2 of my dental to kick in for the ortho coverage.)

Last edited by pobre; 08-14-2009 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 AM

271 posts, read 987,758 times
I am going through the exact same situation. My 9 year old needs ortho. We have seen 2 different orthos. Very different opinions. One wants to start right away with spacers, etc. The other wants to wait 6 months-1 year to allow more perm. teeth to come in. When I mentioned my dilemma to our regular dentist and pediatrician they both said that the first ortho sounds like he's out to make extra money. Makes me take pause and wonder about motivations for starting so early when it is very possible that once perm. teeth come in, much will be shifted and will need to go thru treatment again. I am pretty sure we are leaning toward the wait 6 mos. - 1 year option.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
I am going through the exact same situation. My 9 year old needs ortho. We have seen 2 different orthos. Very different opinions. One wants to start right away with spacers, etc. The other wants to wait 6 months-1 year to allow more perm. teeth to come in. When I mentioned my dilemma to our regular dentist and pediatrician they both said that the first ortho sounds like he's out to make extra money. Makes me take pause and wonder about motivations for starting so early when it is very possible that once perm. teeth come in, much will be shifted and will need to go thru treatment again. I am pretty sure we are leaning toward the wait 6 mos. - 1 year option.
Plus, you will have already maxed your ortho benefits

Old 08-14-2009, 02:33 PM

271 posts, read 987,758 times
Good point, pobre.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,703 times
IMO .. ortho for any kid that does not have their permanent teeth in is a big waste of $$$... you will be revisiting an ortho again.. do yourself and the kid a favor and wait until all of his teeth are in then go to an ortho...

Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 AM

247 posts, read 843,785 times
I have to agree with the majority here. Wait, 9 years is too early. I had the same thing happen, one dentist wanted spacers and phase one right away at the age of 8.
We now have Dr. Britton and Ferris, they are keeping a watchful eye on the movement of her teeth with free consults every 6 mo. They are my babysitters orthodontists. She and her mom are very happy with them and they were cheaper than the previous ortho. they had started with.
1130 E Sonterra Suite 100
#497-6688

Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,638 times
We visited the ortho when my kids were about that age, at the advice of our dentist. The ortho's advice was to wait until all the permanent teeth were in. It's probably good to have them evaluated to see if they may need braces. With my oldest, they said she would probably need braces, but with my youngest, they said he had plenty of room and would probably not need anything. At least we knew that in 2-3 years we would have to foot the bill for braces.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 AM

311 posts, read 845,762 times
I took my daugher (just turned 10) to an ortho that we really liked right before we came to Ca. Her mouth is VERRRRY crowded & she gets picked on a LOT about her crooked teeth BUT still has several baby teeth. The ortho was very honest about using our benefits etc. before the perm. teeth are all in. We are going to do one spacer & then wait for the rest of the work until her perm. are all in. She did say we could go ahead & get started w/braces for the self esteem issues but that it would be nearly 1K that we would spend and have to spend over again.
She is on Tezel in the little center between Walgreens & the Culebra Meat Market but I don't remember her name & we are in San Diego right now.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 AM

217 posts, read 1,758,048 times
Well I noticed the post about braces. I have a different problem my son just turned 8 and the Dentist has said that he needs caps few fillings and some teeth pulled to prevent overcrowding because of his age they say that if we resolve this now it will help the teeth coming in behind them. They also said this is because of the cavities. Please give me advice they want to do surgery on him to remove the teeth and fillings to fill in cavities is this necessary when the teeth will fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio