Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I usually buy gas at Valero stations located in my home ZIP Code, using only a Valero card, and paying at the pump. The requirement to enter a ZIP Code is definitely a recent development, at least for me (I'm not complaining).

I used to frequent Exxon, until they closed all their stations near my home and work, and I never had to enter my ZIP Code when paying at the pump with an Exxon card or Speedpass.

I never use major credit cards at gas stations, so I don't know whether these places that now require a ZIP Code to be entered when using that particular oil company's own card have required this all along when using a major CC. Maybe the stations have been phasing this in over a period of time?
That's probably what it is. I never use a gas station card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:46 AM

12 posts, read 30,329 times
The zip code is used to cut down on fraud and also lowers the MC/Visa, etc. interchange rates for the gas station.

A lot of fraud happens at gas stations. When cards are stolen, thieves often test them at gas station pumps. This lets them test a small amount on the card to see if they work.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 AM

330 posts, read 1,372,354 times
I was behind a couple at a Redbox DVD rental machine, where you also have to enter your zip code. Neither of them knew what their zip code was. They tried a few times then gave up and left without a movie.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
I was behind a couple at a Redbox DVD rental machine, where you also have to enter your zip code. Neither of them knew what their zip code was. They tried a few times then gave up and left without a movie.
They didn't know where they lived ???? Now that's bad.....

Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysourcherry View Post
The zip code is used to cut down on fraud and also lowers the MC/Visa, etc. interchange rates for the gas station.

A lot of fraud happens at gas stations. When cards are stolen, thieves often test them at gas station pumps. This lets them test a small amount on the card to see if they work.
Pretty low tech, but effective, deterrent unless they happen to get the driver's license too.....

Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I noticed the zip code security measure appeared at gas stations inside 410 a couple of years ago, before it appeared at the stations I've used outside 410 this year. It seems to be more common everywhere now. I've also noticed it at HEB.

Be careful entering something other than your zip code on those keypads... it may trigger a fraud alert at your credit card issuer. I once made a typo entering the zip code while buying gas and entered it correctly on the second attempt. Within the hour, I got a call at home from the credit card company wanting to verify my recent purchases.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I noticed the zip code security measure appeared at gas stations inside 410 a couple of years ago, before it appeared at the stations I've used outside 410 this year. It seems to be more common everywhere now. I've also noticed it at HEB.

Be careful entering something other than your zip code on those keypads... it may trigger a fraud alert at your credit card issuer. I once made a typo entering the zip code while buying gas and entered it correctly on the second attempt. Within the hour, I got a call at home from the credit card company wanting to verify my recent purchases.
Yeah...don't be surprised if they program the pumps to eat your cc like at the bank atms too....

Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
It MAY only be required if you use the credit card option, rather than the debit card option. If you do the debit card route, it just asks for the PIN.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

At HEB the question comes up prior to the transaction while they're scanning your stuff. Doesn't seem to go away if you use cash either, and you can hit cancel to make it go away. That's what tells me that it's used for internal data collection purposes (probably to see what stuff people from what zip codes buy so they can adjust their product mix). I'm giving them all the info they need to profile 98058. Now HEB knows people from that zip code really like Sunchips!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
mmmmm sunchips....i like the kettle brand chips now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio