Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times

Advertisements

a couple of days ago a person posted who was visiting SA ... he/she said that they were surprised to see armed security at an HEB and several responded that they have been in SA for "x" amount of years and never seen armed security at an HEB...

my brother is a police officer and he is now working off duty jobs at HEB's in his full police uniform ... according to my brother HEB used to have security and stopped it but then realized they were paying more in what the store was losing due to theft than they were paying for security ...

now, i don't know if it is only certain HEB's that are using armed police officers/security gaurds or all of them...but my brother has worked at 2 HEB locations so far...1 was somewhere on Zarzamora and the other was somewhere off 1604 on the far west side...

just thought i would put the info out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM

91 posts, read 260,450 times
My HEB is the one at Bandera and 410. I've noticed a guy driving a golf cart around sometimes but I'm not sure if he's armed or not? Maybe it has to do with the location?

I have a friend who lives in detriot and he says they have armed gaurds protecting the food while its being unloaded!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA78228 View Post
My HEB is the one at Bandera and 410. I've noticed a guy driving a golf cart around sometimes but I'm not sure if he's armed or not? Maybe it has to do with the location?

I have a friend who lives in detriot and he says they have armed gaurds protecting the food while its being unloaded!
This link provides your proof, SA78228
Hunger hits Detroit - Aug. 6, 2009

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
a couple of days ago a person posted who was visiting SA ... he/she said that they were surprised to see armed security at an HEB and several responded that they have been in SA for "x" amount of years and never seen armed security at an HEB...

my brother is a police officer and he is now working off duty jobs at HEB's in his full police uniform ... according to my brother HEB used to have security and stopped it but then realized they were paying more in what the store was losing due to theft than they were paying for security ...

now, i don't know if it is only certain HEB's that are using armed police officers/security gaurds or all of them...but my brother has worked at 2 HEB locations so far...1 was somewhere on Zarzamora and the other was somewhere off 1604 on the far west side...

just thought i would put the info out there...
I've lived here all my life and I've noticed the guards for quite a number of years in various parts of S.A. including 410/Valley, Zarzamora/Military, Marbach/410, Potranco/1604, Pleasanton/Military. Surprisingly I have not seen one at New Braunfels/East Houston location.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 14,688 times
It's not just HEB, I've seen them at Whole Foods in the Quarry, thus I think it is another way to try and stay competitive and provide a "value added service". It makes a lot of people feel safer and will return.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
after what has happened in some parking lots, especially since we have a lot of 24hr grocery stores, and people getting "jacked" then yes, this is a good safety measure as well as a value added service for HEB and others. Wally World has had Security patrols for quite awhile after people got harassed in the parking lot at nite.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Well let's face it they are performing many banking services at H.E.B. Cashing checks and collecting for Utilities and such. Why wouldn't they have armed security?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
I was at a meeting at SAPD HQ last month...a couple of HEB reps were there and stated that they were starting an aggressive campaign against a "rash" of vehicle break-ins and general malfeasance at various HEBs around Our Fair City. This is probably one of the components of said program.

It's a good thing, IMO. People should "feel" safe when shopping for food.

--Dim

Old 08-22-2009, 12:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
I've seen them at just about any HEB I shop. I never gave it another thought.
Gosh...back in the 70's when people were getting 8-track tape decks ripped out of their cars, they had security guards at the malls. It's definitely not a new thing....maybe just more businesses are getting smart?

WOAI just did a series on professional shoplifting at stores like Walgreens and CVS and HEB. Did anyone see it? They had one guy on tape several times. That's why a lot of meds now have those completely annoying plastic cages around them! And it ends up costing us money. I'm all for the extra security!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
I saw this in Phoenix and Los Angeles.

I've seen some security guards but have never seen an SAPD officer.

They don't even have a SG at the Blanco and 1604 HEB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio