Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 20,871 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I are planning on relocating to either the New Braunfels area or the Seguin area. He will be working out of NB so either of these locations will work for us. What are the pros and cons of each area? I love NB but the real estate there seems to be way more expensive than in Seguin, why is that? Also we have a toddler so we want the best school district that we can get.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
New Braunfels probably has the better school district (not that Seguin isn't good.their football team is great..lol).

New Braunfels is a sprawling area, so you can find anything from a new master planned community type home to an older historical home with lots of land. Seguin has those types of homes, newer homes and older homes, but there's not as wide of a selection.

I'm really not sure why real estate is more expensive in New Braunfels, the two areas are practically one in the same to some people. But,why not house hunt in both areas for yourself just to see?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times
Simple...NB is right next to the Texas Hill Country...Seguin is not. However, if you want some acres AND want to have good soil to plant a crop, then Seguin would be better.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 PM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Try Cibolo, TX
it's the same distance from NB than Seguin and you would be driving in opposite direction of traffic on I-35.

Actually, I think real estate in New Braunfels is expensive because it is a very touristy town.
Every weekend NB is packed with tourists.

I would go for Seguin,
the traffic on I-35 is crazy, sometimes you see trucks lined up for miles driving on I-35
NB seems too touristy for me, every weekend is packed with tourists and college people that go there to go tubing.
Seguin is on I-10 where the traffic is almost non-existent compared to I-35.

I've gone to the largest parks in both NB and Seguin and you wouldn't believe the difference.
NB's Landa Park seems like a city park during the weekend.
I went to Riverview Park on a Saturday afternoon and it felt as if you were in a park in a small town.

Last edited by Dopo; 08-21-2009 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 11:50 PM

4,829 posts, read 3,256,403 times
I've lived in Seguin for right at a year (been in the area since forever). I think it's ideally located for now, because the growth eastward out of San Antonio has been very slow... and the mega-explosion of shopping is all up and down I-35. So from Seguin we can be in San Antonio, New Braunfels, or San Marcos in 20 minutes, but we don't have the traffic issues that come with all the commercial development.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times
I used to commute to NB from the Schertz/Cibolo area, and it was a relatively painless drive. I don't know much about the school district in NB, but the area is really beautiful. My son went to a preschool in NB that was fantastic. It wasn't in our budget to buy a home in that area (otherwise we would have)so we stayed in Cibolo, which IMO is a great place to live and certainly to raise a family. They have built a new elementary and high school (Steele) and I have never really heard anything bad about the district (other than the first reported case of swine flu from a Steele HS student) Good luck in your search!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:29 AM

272 posts, read 639,913 times
I've heard Seguin has more of a rough element and higher crime rate. I would go with NB. You have an adorable downtown area with bars, shops, and restaurants. Schilitterbahn, river tubing, Gruene(adorable german town) is next door. Or as some as else mentioned Cibolo, but in order to grocery shop or do anything you have to go to Schertz or NB. Schertz is another option, it was rated one of the best towns to live in by money magazine a few years ago. It has grown tremendously in the last few years and is close to the Forum.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,835,427 times
I've lived in Seguin area for three years. Use to live at Lake Placid in the 40's and 1953. Lake Placid is on the Guadalupe river upstream from Seguin and Starke Park. I now live off Hwy 46 between Seguin and New Braunfels. I really like the area. I am 6 miles from Seguin and 7 miles from New Braunfels. Best of both worlds. Home prices on acreage are reasonable.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
I've heard Seguin has more of a rough element and higher crime rate. I would go with NB. You have an adorable downtown area with bars, shops, and restaurants. Schilitterbahn, river tubing, Gruene(adorable german town) is next door. Or as some as else mentioned Cibolo, but in order to grocery shop or do anything you have to go to Schertz or NB. Schertz is another option, it was rated one of the best towns to live in by money magazine a few years ago. It has grown tremendously in the last few years and is close to the Forum.
Schertz is like 2 seconds down the road from Cibolo, so its not much of a trip. Going to NB for groceries would be pretty far out there considering the Schertz HEB off Roy Rich is right there. Cibolo housing (as I knew it less than a year ago) was slightly less expensive than Schertz. IMO Schertz/Cibolo is almost the same place.

Schertz was ranked #40 best small town per Money magazine in '07 and I have to say I couldn't agree more. . We loved living there, and given the opportunity would move back to the area in a heartbeat!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,273 times
OH!

I thought the title of the thread said 'Should We REMOVE New Braunfels or Seguin?' I totally misunderstood that one.

... But if it did say that, I'd vote for Seguin. I spent a semester at university there and it was the most desolate, depressing town. Just bulldoze it.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio