Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 PM

71 posts, read 201,767 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to get the word out about this show...it just opened last week at the Aztec, and we took some out-of-town guests to the matinee showing yesterday. It's a very entertaining, well-done tribute show to old country stars (Hank, Patsy, Lefty, etc) from the 1950's-80's (mainly 50's-60's-early 70's). There was a write-up about it in this past Friday's Weekender section of the paper if you'd like to learn more about it. I'm not sure if it's been very well publicized as there were only about 60 people in the audience yesterday, but maybe they had better numbers last night. It's definitely worth checking out if you're into the old country stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 05:44 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Is Rosita in the show? I can't remeber her last name. She was the Hispanic woman who sang on the bridge at Arneson Theater at LaVillita. She was called the San Antonio rose. That's what I thought the posting was about. If she is still with us, she has to be older than dirt. The riverbardges on tours used to mention her singing from the bridge. The last few times I was on a tour bardge, she was not mentioned. She would be a local star from the 60's and 70's, maybe into the early 80's.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 PM

No Rosita in the show. The only female singer was a woman named Rebecca (no last name, just "Rebecca")...she was excellent!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 AM

19 posts, read 41,613 times
The night show had a Brenda-Lee in it also. The show is worth checking out. We had a good time.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,150 times
Default San Antonio Rose Live Review

I looked online for reviews of the San Antonio Rose Live Country Music Show and could not find any reviews. So, I decided to compose my own San Antonio Rose Live Review for Y’all.
My in-laws arrived in town last week, overstaying their Thanksgiving visit by about 6 days. My in-laws are some serious country music fans, but neither my wife or I areally re. Due to some logistical problems with the kids, they stayed at a hotel on the Riverwalk for the first few days of their lengthy visit (thank god). I had heard that the San Antonio Rose Live Country Music show at the Aztec Theatre was really good and I thought the in-laws might enjoy the show. We had an early dinner at The Iron Cactus on The Riverwalk and then walked the block or so to The Aztec. The theatre has been renovated and looks brand new. I have been to a TON of Broadway shows and touring productions, and I have to say, the seats at the Aztec were the largest and most comfortable that I have ever sat in. They are large, nice and supper comfy. They sure beat The Gershwin in NYC! The show basically is a history of country music from the 20’s up until the 80’s. For me, the first half of the show was a little slow because I did not know the songs, but the in-laws sure did and were having a blast. The second half of the show I knew a lot of the songs and we had a great time! These are some seriously, seriously talented musicians in the show (10 in all from Nashville, Branson, Austin and San Antone) and everyone was having a great time. The country music loving in-laws thought it was an awesome show, and although I don’t listen to country music, I really enjoyed it and I am glad we went. If you have a chance, go see the show and post a review. Oh, I accidentally walked into the women’s restroom! Maybe it was me, but they could have some better signage for the restrooms. Oh, they had 2 female singers, Rebecca and Brennen Leigh. They mentioned they are having a Christmas Show that will start this weekend.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,380 times
We went to see the show in June of 2010 and it is indeed a wonderful show. Theatre is gorgeous and seats were spacious and comfy. There is giant screen behind the entertainers that you can view, but really no need since there really isn't a bad seat in the house. All the entertainers came out to the lobby afterwards and were extremely nice and available for autographs and picture opportunities. The lead singer< Jerry Maynard, was even nice enough to even sing a couple of lines of San Antonio Rose with me. Every member could and should be a star on their own. Kenny Penny is the leader of the group. I highly recommend this show to anyone going to San Antonio.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 PM

288 posts, read 926,225 times
We went to the show tonight. It was very entertaining, especially the second half. We enjoyed the second half far better than the first. The singers and musicians are truly talented!! No concessions or beer, only bottles sodas and water. Tickets were $20. We were most definitely the only people under 50 years old! We met some nice older folks though. If they played different music each time we would go back for the second half, which is the "newer" classic country, meaning 60's and 70's. Our ONLY complaint: no Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, George Strait. We thought for sure they would fit some of that in there. It was worth the visit!

Old 10-24-2010, 04:10 PM

We went again about a month ago because I had heard that the show had changed out most of the songs, so we thought it would be worth it to go check it out again. They kept a few of the same songs from the original show, but most of it's different. A little bit of a different line-up, too, for those of you who saw the show during the past year. Ron Williams is gone, as is Brenna Leigh and Todd Brumley. While the show did replace the latter two with other musicians, they did not replace Ron (who had sort of served as the main leader of the performance as far as introducing the music). The show now is lacking a strong "host" presence, in my opinion, to sort of glue it together. A lot of it was "Well now we're going to play one of our all-time favorite songs" for intros. That being said, however...the music is still top notch! Still highly recommended!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 PM

123 posts, read 287,995 times
wife and i and a gang of folks went about a month ago. it was worth the time spent.

the piano player acted as the narrator for much of the dialog.

it is definately a two part show. the wife and i enjoyed both halves.

it is a sheer pleasure to watch someone who is talented do their thing with music, no matter what the type.

i do not know why, but the rendition of floyd cramer's "last date" just gave me goosebumps!

there were nine musicians, two of which were female. i do not remember the names. both females are excellent singers. there was a blonde feller who could sure nuff sing and the piano player could sing.

the theater itself is very nice inside. someone above commented on the comfort of the seats and ill agree.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,537 times
My wife and I heard about the show through the hotel where we were staying in San Antonio this past weekend. Believe me it was the best tip we have received in years. We truly love country music, especially the music of the 50's through the 80's. We were not disappointed in any part of the show. These singers and musicians were all 1st class. We make regular trips to Branson and Nashville but the best show we have seen in years was right here in Texas. Take the time to visit the Aztec Theater in San Antonio for some of the best country sounds you'll ever hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio