Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Just curious, why didn't you ask these questions while you were at the DMV?!?

Inasmuch as this is a great place to gripe about stuff like this, I don't know what kind of help you are expecting from this forum. We all sympathize with your situation, but all of us who are transplants had to go through the same thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 PM

116 posts, read 397,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Just curious, why didn't you ask these questions while you were at the DMV?!?

Inasmuch as this is a great place to gripe about stuff like this, I don't know what kind of help you are expecting from this forum. We all sympathize with your situation, but all of us who are transplants had to go through the same thing...
Hey there! I'm not really griping, just trying to find out how long it may take to get something done in Texas. I appreciate the feedback and information provided.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 PM

285 posts, read 677,819 times
Don't have any advice; just wanted to say that I think I would be griping. Hope it arrives soon!

I don't believe you can get a passport without a photo ID.

That does seem like a very long time to be without a photo ID. I know I would assume the DMV would issue a DL on the spot. Anyone know why they don't? I'll make sure my military ID and passport are up to date when we finally relocate to Texas.

Lori

Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 PM

311 posts, read 846,082 times
I saw something on the news about this a few weeks back. The DMV wants more funding & is saying that computer issues are causing the slowdowns in processing licenses.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
I've never had my old driver's licenses taken away. DMV just punched a hole in them. Saving them so my kids can laugh at my photos when they get older. Good times...

Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,449 times
The paper one will suffice for identification. I traveled from SA to Portland last year after I had lost my DL and went to the DMV to get new one, and had only gotten the paper one. I did have to go through an extra security screen at every airport I flew through. Oh well. Also, I know if you have a traffic stop, it also counts for that. I don't think employers could insist on you having a picture i.d. when the same thing happens to everyone.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 24,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
The paper one will suffice for identification. I traveled from SA to Portland last year after I had lost my DL and went to the DMV to get new one, and had only gotten the paper one. I did have to go through an extra security screen at every airport I flew through. Oh well. Also, I know if you have a traffic stop, it also counts for that. I don't think employers could insist on you having a picture i.d. when the same thing happens to everyone.
Thanks for the useful information. I am going back to the DMV tomorrow to see what I can do about this.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Not sure if this is true but someone said that all states that share borders with Mexico cannot issue new photo drivers licenses in-house. They have to go through Austin via mail.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 AM

285 posts, read 677,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Not sure if this is true but someone said that all states that share borders with Mexico cannot issue new photo drivers licenses in-house. They have to go through Austin via mail.
If that is the case, it will eventually become the norm for all states. I'll count this as ONE thing I'll miss about northern VA - there aren't many!

Does anyone know off hand for how many years a DL is issued in Texas? I'm pretty spoiled by VA's 5 year renewal policy (with age divisible by 5 rule) - a no brainer for remembering to renew.

If we time it right, I'll only have a few months left on my DL when we move.

Lori

Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
I know when you renew its valid for 6 yrs. Not sure if this is different for brand new DLs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio