Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 PM

116 posts, read 396,423 times

Advertisements

My husband has just relocated to SA. He went to the DMV today to get his Texas drivers license. He was given a piece of paper and told that this is her permit and that he should be receiving his drivers license in about 3 months! He had to surrender his Hawaii Drivers License so that it can returned to the State of Hawaii. So now what does he for a photo ID? Anyone know if the permit will suffice as an "official ID" is requested? I think it's crazy that it will take 3 months to get a license, and that he was not asked "do you have another form of photo identification if we take your HI drivers license?" So now he's looking to try and get a Texas State ID. Does anyone know if you get the same day or do you get that mailed to you too? Help! His transition in SA has not been going so well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,797,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mililani Gal View Post
My husband has just relocated to SA. He went to the DMV today to get his Texas drivers license. He was given a piece of paper and told that this is her permit and that he should be receiving his drivers license in about 3 months! He had to surrender his Hawaii Drivers License so that it can returned to the State of Hawaii. So now what does he for a photo ID? Anyone know if the permit will suffice as an "official ID" is requested? I think it's crazy that it will take 3 months to get a license, and that he was not asked "do you have another form of photo identification if we take your HI drivers license?" So now he's looking to try and get a Texas State ID. Does anyone know if you get the same day or do you get that mailed to you too? Help! His transition in SA has not been going so well...
Use passport. Best ID out there.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM

116 posts, read 396,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Use passport. Best ID out there.

I thought about that, but it's too late, he doesn't have a picture ID to show the post office for his application, but that too takes some time to get. *sigh* All I know is that I'm getting at least a Hawaii State ID before I move to TX so that I will not run into the same predicament. Maybe I'll get a passport too, just to be safe!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,532,635 times
Texas ID's are mailed as well. Sorry.

As FCF said, a passport is a great ID. Are you military? That will do, too.

The paper DL will not siffice for writing a check, so I would plan on cash or credit.

FWIW, 3 months sounds like way too long...our experience has been more like 2 weeks. But perhaps things are backed up right now?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mililani Gal View Post
I thought about that, but it's too late, he doesn't have a picture ID to show the post office for his application, but that too takes some time to get. *sigh* All I know is that I'm getting at least a Hawaii State ID before I move to TX so that I will not run into the same predicament. Maybe I'll get a passport too, just to be safe!
Everyone should have a passport. IMO. Hope you're not flying anywhere soon...might be tough to get through security.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,601,535 times
Wait. They still mail new drivers' licenses? What year is this? 1989?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,926,257 times
But a passport is not required for anyone not traveling outside of the country.

I don't think three months sounds right either, it only took a couple of weeks when I did this four years ago. And I was able to purchase a handgun with the temporary paper license that the state issued to me in the interim. I still think it is ridiculous that you can't get a regular drivers license on the spot like in every other state that I've lived in!

Oh, and welcome to Texas!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 PM

11 posts, read 45,174 times
I did this on July 6th and still have not received mine yet. They sad 6-8 weeks at that time. Wife did hers at the same time and got hers last week.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 24,109 times
So, I'm Mililani Gal's husband here in SA. So if I don't have a passport, and no other picture ID, what do I do? How long does it take to get a state ID card? Hope that one isn't mailed either.

I am applying for jobs here, and I realized once I get hired, the HR department is going to ask me for a photo ID, which I won't have. What do I do?

So far, SA has been a pretty good move, yet this kind of stuff really irritates me. How can it be so backward and slow? Mailed licenses? 8-12 WEEKS?! Kind of ridiculous when you have to surrender your only form of picture ID. Most places like Hawaii, you get your license right there after filling out the forms.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
But a passport is not required for anyone not traveling outside of the country.

I don't think three months sounds right either, it only took a couple of weeks when I did this four years ago. And I was able to purchase a handgun with the temporary paper license that the state issued to me in the interim. I still think it is ridiculous that you can't get a regular drivers license on the spot like in every other state that I've lived in!

Oh, and welcome to Texas!

Cheers! M2
The OP says that her husband has no photo ID whatsoever..whether he flies domestically or internationally, it will be tough. Next to impossible internationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio