U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,500,107 times

Advertisements

This afternoon I was passed by an idiot doing 45 MPH through a 20 MPH school zone talking on her cell phone (Heck, the usual speed limit is 35 along that road; but this is San Antonio! ). Anyhow, I have seen numerous people doing the same all week, for some reason even flashing lights isn't enough for people to realize what's going on.

Please remind everyone you know that school is back in session, and that school zones are now "active." That includes the ones that don't have flashing lights, they still have signs indicating the times the zone is active. Either way, people have to start slowing down!!

And yes, I did pull up next to her at the stop light, and told her she just blew threw a school zone at over twice the speed limit. All I got back was a dumb stare, but it seemed appropriate...

Thanks for your support!

Cheers! M2
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 PM

5,142 posts, read 12,244,226 times
It's like the boy who cried wolf applies to school zones. People saw that the school zone lights were blinking, slowed down then realized the lights are on and school is out, then the lights are back on and they think there's still no school start yet. Can't they tell? Students are walking down the sidewalk with uniforms and/or backpacks and/or textbooks.
The motorcycle patrol is coming out to the zones and they make a good point of hiding a little bit behind a bush. Wish that lady got a ticket. It's funny, they act oblivious when they pull over. I love that show Speeders!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 27,747,663 times
We had a BCSD car sitting in plain sight in the median of a school zone yesterday in Westcreek yesterday, but that didn't stop this woman in an F-150 from blowing through it. She was coming up behind me in the other lane going at least 35 - 40 MPH and I was watching the whole thing thinking for sure she was going to be nailed, but the deputy didn't do jack and didn't even have his radar on (I have a radar detector). I was seriously wanting her to get nailed too.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM

214 posts, read 466,594 times
Sometimes they sit out there as a reminder for the first while. Not all the SD cars have radar.

I saw one get lit up today. Looks like it's ticket time. Go-go gadget badge and a gun!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,208,061 times
I know I could probably get my head blown off, but I honk at people flying through school zones.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 12,244,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I know I could probably get my head blown off, but I honk at people flying through school zones.
It's ok;I do it too. I guess we're living life on the edge!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,000,862 times
And, as of 9/1, talking on a cell phone without a hands-free device will be illegal; however, until the zone has a sign stating that rule, offenders will not be ticketed.

I just wish that people realize that school zones include the actual driveway where you pick your children up. You would be amazed at how many near accidents there are SO close to children!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,500,107 times
Quote:
You just honk? Heck, I honk, yell, flash my lights, point my finger and do everything I can to draw attention to the morons. I figure they deserve the recognition!

I know the topic has been flogged to schnitzel status, but I am constantly amazed at how bad people drive here. We were just at the Walmart at Potranco and 1604, right by the garden center, and my wife and I watched a old lady driving west on Potranco swerve into the left lane and go the wrong way so she could turn into the outbound-only lane from the Walmart parking lot!

Then, to add gravy to it all, I see a parking spot but in a one-way lane so I go down the next lane to loop around to park there only to find the very same lady was driving the wrong way again to park in the spot. Of course since the spot is angled away from her, she blocked the lane until she could maneuver the tank she was driving into the spot. Of course she failed to do so properly, with her back wheel in the space next to her and the end of her car was blocking the track parked there.

Needless to say, I waited and gave her an earful about her dangerous driving; and much like the previous idiot flying through the school zone she didn't have a clue to what she did wrong! Honestly, I expect she is going to cause an accident one of these days soon, and I can only pray no one gets seriously injured or killed!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,715,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Needless to say, I waited and gave her an earful about her dangerous driving; and much like the previous idiot flying through the school zone she didn't have a clue to what she did wrong! Honestly, I expect she is going to cause an accident one of these days soon, and I can only pray no one gets seriously injured or killed!
Sad part is, they usually never know why they are getting dirty looks or honked at, etc. They are oblivious to the world around them .

Back to school zones........ I haven't seen the school zone lights on in front of Taft. Has anyone else??

Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,609,414 times
Quote:
So do I! I mean come on people. Slowing down through a school zone is going to add what? Maybe 15 seconds to your drive time?

People like to fly through that school zone on military heading from 151 to Lackland. I have given what-not to those active duty people who do that and I end up next to them at the light. I think they (and for what it's worth my husband is active duty so I'm not a hater) are often times the worst offenders through that particular area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio