Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM

206 posts, read 463,544 times

Advertisements

try bigwords.com

They'll search online for you, and find you the cheapest price, including shipping. When I used to use it, most of the cheapest books were from either half.com or amazon.com, but sometimes you get lucky somewhere else. When you checkout (if i remember correctly) it will make a list of books from the same stores so you don't have to check out for every book... for example if it finds you two from half and two from amazon, you only check out twice instead of four times.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,275,646 times
I got almost all mine at Half.com, Amazon, Abebooks.com, or Craigslist. Saved hundreds. I wouldn't even set foot into any "college bookstore" until exhausting all online options.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,092,492 times
chegg.com is the worst possible option ever. someone who would purchase books without any returned value at the end of the semester is beyond me.

what i do, and for future reference to you if you really want to save: just buy the textbooks at a bookstore, and put it on a credit card during that time. they'll normally have like a 2 week leeway to return them for a full refund. during that time buy those same books off amazon or half.com etc, then return the books you got at the bookstore when the others come in the mail.

at the beginning of the next semester you should be able to sell them at a similar price. good luck.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,094,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
chegg.com is the worst possible option ever. someone who would purchase books without any returned value at the end of the semester is beyond me.

what i do, and for future reference to you if you really want to save: just buy the textbooks at a bookstore, and put it on a credit card during that time. they'll normally have like a 2 week leeway to return them for a full refund. during that time buy those same books off amazon or half.com etc, then return the books you got at the bookstore when the others come in the mail.

at the beginning of the next semester you should be able to sell them at a similar price. good luck.
I paid $38 to rent a textbook I don't ever want to read again after the class is over. Better than paying $90 on Amazon and taking the risk that the book won't be bought back at the end of the semester.

Isn't buying books at the bookstore, then getting those at amazon.com morally wrong? That's my point of view but to each his own.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,192,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I paid $38 to rent a textbook I don't ever want to read again after the class is over. Better than paying $90 on Amazon and taking the risk that the book won't be bought back at the end of the semester.

Isn't buying books at the bookstore, then getting those at amazon.com morally wrong? That's my point of view but to each his own.
I agree with you totally. My daughter rented her books from chegg.com too She rented three books for $106. The Calculus book alone was $180 to purchase.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM

It depends on the subject matter though. A co worker visited chegg.com and she's doing a Masters in Education and the books she was looking for were about the same price as Amazon. Mine is Public Administration and there's not much demand/stock for them.
$180 for a Calculus book; Yikes! Glad she found a deal! Good luck to her on the rest of her studies!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,192,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It depends on the subject matter though. A co worker visited chegg.com and she's doing a Masters in Education and the books she was looking for were about the same price as Amazon. Mine is Public Administration and there's not much demand/stock for them.
$180 for a Calculus book; Yikes! Glad she found a deal! Good luck to her on the rest of her studies!
Thanks . So is that not the normal price? $180? This is her freshman year so we are new to this. I thought that was high too but I figured books just cost a lot. That price was at amazon. the book is Calculus & Analytic Geometry by Stein (5th edition).
I'm scared to see what her books are going to cost when she becomes a Senior.

edit: I rented the book at chegg for $9.99

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Thanks . So is that not the normal price? $180? This is her freshman year so we are new to this. I thought that was high too but I figured books just cost a lot. That price was at amazon. the book is Calculus & Analytic Geometry by Stein (5th edition).
I'm scared to see what her books are going to cost when she becomes a Senior.

edit: I rented the book at chegg for $9.99
I've seen ranges in prices of books all over the place, from $25 to a instructor booklet only available at the school's bookstore to $220 for a law book. Law book price according to co workers hubby who's doing law school right now.
I did business as an undergrad and the highest one I had was about $120 and there was no chegg back then and amazon didn't have the book. EEK!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,764,843 times
It's beginning to smell a lot like spa-m
everywhere you are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: