Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,075 times

Advertisements

Hello, San Antonians!
We've been living in WA for 7 yrs and are currently on the process of moving to SA.
(not for jobs, just casual move)
For reference, my husband and I had never been in SA at the point of discussions of moving to SA nor had we had much knowledge about the city(I know, it's weird) and later my DH went to SA to get better ideas of the city and guess what? He LOVED the city! Yup, that was it. We then decided to move

Anyway, after tons of research about the city, we concluded to live in North or North West.

1. In North, we were attracted to live in Stone Oak because many San Antonians recommend there as a family-friendly and nice area. Is it true still these days? Has there been any declining of the area as some said in a thread posted years ago?

2. In North West, we liked the houses around Cedar Creek Golf Course or further proximity. How are those areas compared to Stone Oak regarding quality of living?

3. Are those areas having problems with crimes?

4. Where would you live, North vs. North West? If neither, are there other areas that are better than those? (for middle class people, housing price range under 500k.)

5. Which areas are popular to live in and hold their housing value?

6. We have 2 small kids. Are there many outdoor activities(biking, hiking, jogging at parks...) and educational sites to visit?

7. On crime reports, SA seems to have unusual amount of sex offenders(literally sex offender symbols covering the face of the whole city on the map). WHY? Do I have to carry a gun in a scary thigh holster when jogging at parks?!?!

These are pretty random questions. Any kind answers will be very appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
In most instances, the areas will be safe - bear in mind that "sex crimes" covers a VERY broad spectrum. From what I've seen over the years, pretty much every area holds value.

Bear in mind....you're moving to Texas. Summers hear can be brutal - so jogging may not always be enjoyable. I would suggest that you plan to rent for 6-12 months as you get your bearings and explore the various areas prior to making a decision that you might regret in terms of your home. Give yourself a chance to know the various areas/communities before making that kind of commitment. You might even find yourself being attracted to other locales/towns in the area. Part of that decision will be your commuting requirements - traffic in SA can get interesting to say the least. Depending on the kind of traffic you're used to, it may not be significant - but again, it's better to know BEFORE you plunk your $$$ down!

I grew up in Leon Valley, a small suburb on the NW side of SA, then spent 5 years on the NE side of SA (by Nacogdoches and O'Connor). We moved out to New Braunfels about 14 years ago, but our kids live in SA, plus I travel there on business several times a week. Once you get used to things, you'll find traffic patterns and times that make things a bit easier, but the northside (and northwest) can get into gridlock in peak rush hours.

Others will weigh in shortly with more specifics for you - but I do think you'll love the people! I realize your question was pretty tongue-in-cheek, but yes, Texas is very "gun-friendly", and concealed handgun licenses are "shall-issue", so it's something you certainly can avail yourself of if you so desire. I carry routinely, but haven't had to actually use it so far - nor do I think I will need to do so. It's more of a "in case of" situation - just like I keep a fire extinguisher in my truck.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:22 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,568,427 times
Tex, there are subdivisions to the right(travelling north out of SA) of 281 near Tejada MS and Johnson HS, near Bulverde Road. It's in the area of Stone Oak. Do you know anything about those subdivisions? The schools are supposed to be good. Looks like it would be easy to shop without getting tangled up in the 281 traffic!

Old 12-09-2017, 06:40 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
tarragon, not much I'm afraid. Sorry!

Old 12-09-2017, 08:01 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,012,463 times
1. In North, we were attracted to live in Stone Oak because many San Antonians recommend there as a family-friendly and nice area. Is it true still these days? Has there been any declining of the area as some said in a thread posted years ago?

Yes, it is still a pretty nice area. It does have a bit of a Mexican national feel, as that is the area in San Antonio where many Mexican nationals move. By Mexican nationals, I mean people from Mexico that moved to San Antonio (not illegal immigrants). They are typically wealthy and you might not even know they are from Mexico unless they speak Spanish (they are mostly Spanish as opposed to Aztec/Mayan/Native American). My friend lives in the area and he doesn't like the way they treat him as a waiter but it could just be him.

I can't say I would recommend Stone Oak unless you work in the area. It is pretty secluded from downtown. And the traffic is HORRIBLE. But, if you or your husband are a Mexican national, which it doesn't sound like, this would definitely be the best area to live in if you are wanting to be with other Mexican nationals.

There are definitely people of all races around there, just saying it has more of that feel than other parts of San Antonio.

2. In North West, we liked the houses around Cedar Creek Golf Course or further proximity. How are those areas compared to Stone Oak regarding quality of living?

I can't speak for this area but I will repeat what I said, unless you work over there it will be a nightmare going to work.

3. Are those areas having problems with crimes?

No, I don't think so. That area is all new, so it hasn't really had time to get bad. I doubt they will ever be bad areas really. The only thing is there might be some apartment complex over there that are bad (but there also might not be) but other than that I wouldn't worry.

4. Where would you live, North vs. North West? If neither, are there other areas that are better than those? (for middle class people, housing price range under 500k.)

I wouldn't live that far N or NW unless I worked out there (if I was a Mexican national I may live in Stone Oak to be with other Mexican nationals). I hate traffic. I prefer being close to work. I also like being close to downtown, airport, etc.

If good public schools are a must, I would look anywhere in the Alamo Heights school district. You can afford a smaller house IN Alamo Heights or a bigger house in Oak Park/Northwood/Terrell Heights which is still AHISD just not as fancy. Still low crime rate.

Parts of Oak Park and Northwood go to NEISD, that is Northwood Elementary, Garner Middle, Macarthur High. I wouldn't recommend these. It is an ok school, but doesn't compare to Alamo Heights or even the schools out by Stone Oak.

If you will be doing private school, you can add Monte Vista (similar to Alamo Heights w/o the schools, pretty fancy area although more socially liberal), you can look in the NEISD area with confidence. Also look in Oakwell Farms if you like gated communities. All these areas are inside loop 410 so it will be easier to get around San Antonio. Further from the stuff out by stone oak and 1604 though like Six flags and sea world.

5. Which areas are popular to live in and hold their housing value?

I think the areas I mentioned above hold good housing value. I think the areas you mentioned before probably do too.

6. We have 2 small kids. Are there many outdoor activities(biking, hiking, jogging at parks...) and educational sites to visit?

Biking, hiking trails all over. Good amount of parks. Do-seum near downtown which is a kids museum. Other kids stuff downtown. I don't have kids but sure somebody can add to this.

7. On crime reports, SA seems to have unusual amount of sex offenders(literally sex offender symbols covering the face of the whole city on the map). WHY? Do I have to carry a gun in a scary thigh holster when jogging at parks?!?!

I would probably do that wherever I live these days. I don't think San Antonio is any worse about sex offenders than other places. And sometimes just because they are a sex offender doesn't mean they did anything worse than keep naked pictures of their 17 year old GF when they were 18. (of course, the majority of the time they probably did do something worse. but you never really know)

These are pretty random questions. Any kind answers will be very appreciated. Thank you!

I hope I was of help, and I hope you enjoy San Antonio.

Last edited by supfromthesite; 12-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: my spelling is atrocious, please dont think this represents us all LOL

Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Stone Oak is fine. I think all the answers you have gotten are consistent. It's a great area, if you like rich kids, traffic and navigating chilango Spanish (people from DF). The northwest area you pinpointed is fine too. Again, lots of traffic, but not nearly as Mexican, probably a bit closer to outdoor activities than the Stone Oak area. The Leon Creek Greenway is a few minutes away at 1604/10. It's a 13 mile trail that goes from far northwest SA to closer to the central part of what many people consider the "northwest" side of town. There is also Salado Creek which starts a bit south of the Stone Oak area (more of a drive than it would be to Leon Creek). There are not many "lakes" or "water" areas in the immediate SA area. You'll have to drive to Canyon Lake or even further north towards Marble Falls for water. Maybe west towards Medina Lake but I actually haven't ever been to Medina Lake. Hiking, as many talk about where I'm at in Austin, isn't nearly as popular as other areas of the country, but Government Canyon and Fredrich park aren't bad. If you search the forum you'll find an article about SA being "overvalued" most places are doing well value wise right now. Alamo Heights and areas between 410 and 1604 and outside of 1604 will keep their values more easily than other areas though. Crime, yes, is a thing. But be careful and you'll be fine. Learn the areas to avoid (right outside of downtown, east side and parts of the westside and south side). No, you don't need to carry a gun around everywhere you go, but carry some pepper spray if you'll be out by yourself on the trail. There have been a few women attacked in the recent past. Search the forum for some of the topics you've asked about and even more of your questions will be answered, I'm sure.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:05 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Parts of Oak Park and Northwood go to NEISD, that isNorthwood Elementary, Garner Middle, Macarthur High. I wouldn't recommend these. It is anok school, but doesn't compare to Alamo Heights or even the schools out by Stone Oak.

If you will be doing private school, you can add Monte Vista (similar to Alamo Heights w/o the schools, pretty fancy area although more socially liberal), you can look in the NEISD area with confidence. Also look in Oakwell Farms if you like gated communities.
I would just point out that Oakwell Farms is zoned to the same NEISD elementary, middle and high schools as the portion of Northwood that is also in NEISD.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Tex, there are subdivisions to the right(travelling north out of SA) of 281 near Tejada MS and Johnson HS, near Bulverde Road. It's in the area of Stone Oak. Do you know anything about those subdivisions? The schools are supposed to be good. Looks like it would be easy to shop without getting tangled up in the 281 traffic!
We enjoy living in that area. For shopping, we actually prefer the Forum, unless there is something we need at one of the anchor stores (Macy's, JCP, Dillards or Sears) at Rolling Oaks Mall. It's growing considerably out here, with new housing popping up everywhere.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,568,427 times
Sapphire, do you know anything about Roseheart subdivision? I've researched some of the subdivisions online and the Roseheart was so pretty!

Old 12-09-2017, 01:56 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
I don't. It does look very nice and kind of secluded. I think Roseheart is the one where you drive down a small hill to get into it. It's gated so we've never driven through it. The traffic on Bulverde is heavy during rush hour, that's for sure but it's a nice road with 3 lanes on both sides along that stretch of it anyway. The only subdivision we were interested in on Bulverde was Bulverde Gardens but we couldn't find anything available when we were looking. We're empty nesters and didn't want a huge house. We love the area. My job is 8 minutes from home and my husband has about the same commute time in the opposite direction. It's perfect for us.

Good luck finding a home here! We initially looked in Stone Oak but crossing / navigating 281 every day just seemed like a hassle. So we decided to buy on the east side of 281 where we already knew my husband's office would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio