Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:26 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

I checked out their flyer and just noticed it doesn't say anything about the days or hours they are open. When we first went, they said they were open seven days a week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Major Mad Max: aha! Are they backing off? To much business or to little? Or not sure?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:50 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Elnina

I don't know, there weren't many people there when I went around 6:00pm last night; maybe they aren't doing that great after all...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
I hope that they make it. I have never been but it sounds like they have some good vittles. I will have to try them out sometime.

I am going to mention them to someone and if their prices are right they will get LOTS of lunch business.

I wish them the best.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM

I guess we have to wait and see...

Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Its really good food and it would be a shame if it didnt work out. I dont go very often because of the location but if it was closer to my stomping grounds I would probably be there at least twice (maybe three???) times a week.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Well, to be honest they may have some issues they need to straighten out before they get too bad of a reputation. Not with their food........it's good.

Case in point:

The first night I was there, there were 3 tables in various stages--one finished up, one with their food, and one just getting started with their tea. We walked in, took our seat and were greeted after a few minutes. The menus are on the table, so we were hungrily deciding what we wanted.

Well, after 20 minutes of sitting there, watching the other table get their food, and listening to the waitress BS with them for an eternity, and we still hadn't even had so much as our drink order taken, well enough was enough. We got up and left and went to Kim Wah instead. Which, by the way, was not as good as we were expecting.

Anyway, fast forward to the following Saturday and I still hadn't gotten the smell of that BBQ out of my brain. Off we went. This time, we were waited on fairly quickly (although Memphis-style may mean "I ain't in no hurry, but I like you.") We ordered, about 10 minutes later the food came and it was GOOD. I was glad they were given a second chance.

Well, this couple came in......asked about the 3 meat plate, which in Porky J's defense, it's 3 PORK items--but the customer asked if she could get brisket instead. There isn't much, if any, price difference on the menu--if it was MY restaurant I'da said, "sure, no problem" but they didn't. The waitress said Oh no ma'am....kinda rude, but maybe that's her dialect? Dunno...but the couple got up and left. So, Porky J's missed out on a $30-$40 ticket out of "no budging" which to me is silly. Then the waitress proceeds to tell the other customers remaining (us and one other table) that the lady was basically stupid for even asking because it's a pork plate. Just rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't think it was 'friendly service' AT ALL. What did they say about ME when I left?

So, I sure hope they make it, but it's not all fun and games and nicey-nicey over there. The food is good, but I sure don't want to pay someone to treat me that way......I get enough grief at work.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Does anybody know the history behind Porky J's? Are they local people that just decided to make a go of it the the BBQ biz? Did they come from out of town/state or what? I would think I might have heard that name before if they were just a local catering biz before.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM

"Jefferson runs the restaurant with his wife, Sharon, and sons Ray and Terrence and their families. He said he told Ray, who was constantly coming up with business schemes, if he found a business he really believed in, found the location and got it going, he and Sharon would invest and help with it. Ray found the location on Bandera and promptly decided on a barbecue restaurant, a natural outlet for the Memphis native family.
Jefferson, who came to San Antonio from years of being in the military, now spends his time off working the smoker."
Porky J's feels the love of Memphis-style barbecue (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/northwest/Porky_Js_feels_the_love_of_Memphis-style_barbecue.html - broken link)

Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Thanks for the link elnina. I read the article and I also read the (1) comment underneath it. Wow, Porky's gets grilled on that one. Not very flattering to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio