Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,016,134 times

Advertisements

My question is where do people work in SA to afford these homes and the high property tax bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,781,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
My question is where do people work in SA to afford these homes and the high property tax bill.
Not conventional 9-5 jobs and most likely not reporting to an office every day. You'd be surprised at the money that is out there.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:39 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,892,838 times
The wife and I made it out there on Saturday. We own a lot in Terramont and were happy to see that the Parade of Homes was going to be there this year. I've never been to any of the prior PofH events so I cannot say it was better or worse than years past. Overall, we had a great time. All the houses were pretty different from one another while just about all of the homes had many things we liked about each. Overall, we liked the second to last house (StoneWall Builders) the best. There really was nothing on the inside or outside of that house I did not like.

We did run into fellow C-Der Kevcrawford out there. It was a pleasure meeting him and putting a face to a name.

We are looking to build hopefully by next summer. I think Terramont is going to shape up into a really nice neighborhood. As Kevin stated, the views out there are incredible!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,738,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Work a pretty good job and have a thing or two going on the side such as a part-time business or have some rental income. Invest what you make instead of blowing it on impulse decisions. That'll take you pretty far.

Ok so I'm halfway sold on checking this out... I do need some inspiration for a couple of projects I have coming up this winter and next year. I haven't looked it up online, but does the parade website have much on there about the more modern-styled houses on the tour? How much are tickets? Just making sure I'll get my money's worth because I've been burned a few times in recent years (but other cities).

Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
How much are tickets? Just making sure I'll get my money's worth because I've been burned a few times in recent years (but other cities).
$10 at Home Depot. $12 at the door.

FWIW, Mrs. Bowie's main objection to the parade here is that it's smaller than the parades in other cities, but the tickets are just as expensive. Where we lived before, the parade was spread across 4 sites, with 4-6 homes at each site, so you got to see nearly 2 dozen homes and a real variety of neighborhoods. Here, there's one site, which this year has 7 homes. I still enjoy it, but if you compare it to parades elsewhere, you might be disappointed.

My favorites this year, in order, were #2, #1 and #6.

I loved the views from the homes this year and the upstairs windows seemed to take full advantage of those views. IMO, the site enabled the builders to do much more interesting things with the homes than last year's site provided.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,738,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
$10 at Home Depot. $12 at the door.

FWIW, Mrs. Bowie's main objection to the parade here is that it's smaller than the parades in other cities, but the tickets are just as expensive. Where we lived before, the parade was spread across 4 sites, with 4-6 homes at each site, so you got to see nearly 2 dozen homes and a real variety of neighborhoods. Here, there's one site, which this year has 7 homes. I still enjoy it, but if you compare it to parades elsewhere, you might be disappointed.

My favorites this year, in order, were #2, #1 and #6.

I loved the views from the homes this year and the upstairs windows seemed to take full advantage of those views. IMO, the site enabled the builders to do much more interesting things with the homes than last year's site provided.
Oh wow, I'm used to paying 2 or 3x that to see about a half dozen houses. The most recent one was north of Austin last year where most of the houses might as well have been near copies of each other. Same color schemes used in all of them, and the quality of construction was nothing to brag about either. Just walking through I saw all kinds of problems with fit and finish. It really solidified my opinion that if I wanted something done at home I should learn to do it myself.

I might have to check this out by myself because the other half would get tired of it in about 30 minutes and want to go home. She likes the end result of projects I do, but can't stand the planning that goes into them!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 PM

330 posts, read 1,367,463 times
I went this afternoon. It was my first time going to one of these, and it was definitely a worthwhile visit.

Home #1 was very nice and looked the most practical of the group. I liked the lower level entertainment area, the floorplan really lent itself to being a very livable home. If I'm remembering the homes right, it also had my favorite master bath (which is saying something, the competition for that honor was very high). It also benefited from what seemed to be the best lot. 3-7 were all pretty close to each other, I don't know if #1 is eventually going to be the same way or not.

Home #6 (the Stonewall Custom Homes one) was my favorite design. They did a fantastic job of blending stone, nature, and the rustic look. I talked briefly with the (co?)-architect, a mid-20's looking guy. I was impressed someone that young created such a fantastic design.

Home #7 was easily the most modern, which appeals to me a lot. Lots of interesting touches... I wish I had written more down so I could remember what features went with which homes.

I really liked them all... the one I wasn't as big a fan of was I *think* #4, but I'm not positive about that. But even that one was still well done.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,390,984 times
Good choice on Home #1!!

There were almost 9000 people through over the weekend. It's open during the week from 3-9 and it's much easier to see them without all the crowds. Plus they look awesome at night.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,367,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Good choice on Home #1!!
That dog room was clearly your idea. Also, I'm sure the builder appreciated you letting them borrow your cowboy chap pants.

I'm pretty sure I saw you there. You looked crazy busy at the time so I left you alone... I might've interrupted anyway ("hey, I'm Drzy, we exchanged DMs once!") but I wasn't 100% sure it was you.

Also, the lady/girl/woman at the front door... your daughter, I assume. Haha. I'd try to poke some fun here, but my wife reads this board sometimes.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,390,984 times
Yeah...the dog room....not thrilled with that one, but hey, it's memorable, right? And I had to find a new way to celebrate Labor Day without my chaps. I'll get 'em back next Monday.

I'm sure you saw me. I'm usually wearing my Australian leather hat, so I'm pretty easy to find. I've run into quite a few CDers before. Saw 01Snake and the wife there on Sunday.

We won the Realtor's Choice award today, so we're jazzed about that. We're in the running for the People's Choice too. Find out about that later. Those are the only two we wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: