U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 AM

2,953 posts, read 4,802,861 times

Advertisements

Check out this story:

Teen who cries blood gets help from experts - CNN.com

My wife sent this story to me yesterday. The reason why this is important to me is that 3 weeks ago I was at Sea World with my wife, my mother (which is always a really, really bad combination), my mother in-law (which is like adding kindle to the flame) and five of our nieces and nephews.

We did the Lazy River, the Shamu Show, some really stupid 3D Pirate Movie, then wound up at a new show called, I think, Plundering Pirates, but is actually a pirate themed stunt show, and not a very good one at that. (this theater used to show a program with incredibly trained house pets, cats and dogs and ducks which was much more interesting). Before the show started, my wife said my eye was bleeding. We thought I had an unfortunate mosquito bite. I wiped it off, but throughout the show, my left eye kept fogging over. At the end of the show, we left the theater and my mom started freaking out. I was bleeding, like tears, out of both corners of my left eye. Not certain to trust my mom, who panics over the littlest of things, I turned to my wife, who said "you are really bleeding bad out of both corners of you're eye." I felt no pain, I felt nothing at all. I was wearing contacts at the time, so I took the one out of the left eye out assuming it had cut my eye somehow. Shorly after, the bleeding stopped.

That was Saturday. On Tuesday I went to a family friend that is an eye surgeon. She ran a battery of tests, and concluded nothing was wrong, my eyes was not cut by my contacts. Of course, I was worried about brain tumors, but these usually result in bleeding behind the eye that seeps to the front. They ran some kind of test for this and there was no bleeding behind the eye. Through some really cool 3D imaging software that renders your eye in a 3D image, they did find a burst blood vessel in my eye that could have led to the bleeding, but she could not figure out how the blood made it to the outside, with the eye being a closed system.

She told me that in 27 years of her practice that she has never seen bleeding eyes, but that this summer I was the second case. The previous victim was playing baseball all day and his eye started to bleed, which is similar to the fact that I was out at during the hot sun at Sea World for about 8 hours before my eye started to bleed. She said her hypothysis is that this was due to heat stress.

Now that we got this national case regarding this poor kid bleeding out his eyes, I just want to know if anybody on this forum knows of similar experiences that occured this summer here in SA or in surrounding areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 AM

627 posts, read 1,458,854 times
There is a similiar case going on in India where a girl bleeds all over her head. Doctors couldn't find cuts or any tear on her skin. It's just came out like sweat.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM

4,796 posts, read 14,428,053 times
GW....I haven't heard of anyone with anything remotely close to this. I do hope you find out what it is so they can treat it. Has it happened since? The story of the boy indicates that he has reoccurring episodes. I'm sure it was very unsettling to have that happen with no explainable reason.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,404,066 times
Somebody wants a walkon part on True Blood.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 PM

14,637 posts, read 32,853,781 times
Wow. Inappropriate.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 PM

796 posts, read 2,872,966 times
National Geographic is going to show a story of a girl with this condition. The Girl Who Cries Blood | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/the-girl-who-cries-blood-4450/Overview - broken link)

Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,037,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
National Geographic is going to show a story of a girl with this condition.
You can see her every Thursday night on Parks and Recreation.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 AM

317 posts, read 1,678,407 times
wow GW- that sounds like it had to be scary. I am glad your tests showed nothing wrong. Did you take any pictures for yourself to keep? I ask that in case you wish you wish to pursue it further, you can show it to examiners. I would be tempted, for my own curiosity, to write to Department of Health, maybe University of Texas, or large health institutes, to see if anyone else has seen this occur. I hope this was a once in a lifetime event for you, and it will cause you no further worries.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times
My son is 25yo and started bleeding from both his eyes last Thursday. I am not sure what to do about this and have never heard of this before so I googled it and saw this site. Any suggestions?
Amy

Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 AM

2,793 posts, read 5,555,910 times
GW, I have not heard of this and I'm glad you are okay...but see what being around in-laws can do???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio