Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,903 times

Advertisements

I want to go to grad school in either Texas or California and was wondering what some of the things are that make San Antonio unique. I have only been there once, but don't know too much about the city other than its history. What makes it a great place to live and what are your favorite things to do there? What are the good and bad areas of town? Any suggestions for a single 20 something to live? I'm also looking at a couple schools in Dallas..what are the major similarities and differences between to two cities? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Im looking forward to the responses too....as I love California and also enjoy San Antonio, though I am contemplating a move back to the midwest.

Personally, I don't like Dallas. If you are from the east or midwest you would probably be annoyed with Dallas. I like San Antonio much better. I also like California though.

San Antonio is like a small town big city. The downtown is very cool, to me, though the locals seem to shun it at times as 'too touristy' I don't care for how suburban San Antonio is (you need a car...)

Things I like about SA. Downtown/Riverwalk/Southtown

Things here are pretty laid back. I like the Mexican influences, the food and the history and architecture. It gets a bit too hot for me in the summer but I appreciate the winter! I also think this city is about to hit it's "heydey" I suspect a ton of urban redevelopment is on the horizon and things are just starting to really happen for this city.

California...I love it. mountains, ocean, good food, what more could you want? It's just more expensive to buy a home and the government has some issues right now. most of which will not affect you as a student. It would really only affect you as a home buyer.

so, think about what you want for the future. California might be fun for a student, less fun for a family. San Antonio could be the same...depending on what you are looking for...or the total opposite.

Dallas.. I can hardly comment because personally, it is one of my least favorite cities.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:28 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Favorite thing? Tex-Mex food.

I will leave the rest of your questions to the others who will I'm sure be along shortly... but I don't like Dallas. It's very homogeneous and Stepford-like, at least that was my impression of large areas of Dallas and nearby areas I've spent time in (and lived, briefly). I think it's very very different from SA.

Just my opinion, and yes, parts of SA are like that too, but SA, while not my fave place, at least has some character.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
It's location:
Have 2 of the largest cities in the US less than 4 hours away (Dallas-Ft. Worth & Houston)
Have a very unique Midwestern city 1 hour away (Austin)
Can travel to another country in 2 hours (Mexico)
Close to the beach, but not too close (Corpus Christi/Hurricanes)
5 hours away from a beach that many people dream about visiting (South Padre Island)
Outside of Hurricane alley
4 hour drive from Galveston (Caribbean cruises)

In the year I've been in SA, I've only seen 2 seasons = Hot and nice.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 AM

245 posts, read 696,340 times
I agree with Dopo on all of the pluses of San Antonio.

But if I were you, I would consider living in Austin as a graduate student, somewhere west of I-35 near Downtown. We lived there for 3 years while I studied at UT, and loved the running trail around the river downtown, the natural springs (Barton Springs), the beautiful Hill Country, the rich history. You can go to school at UT and live in the student housing for graduate students and families off of Lake Austin Blvd, $500/rent or less in a beautiful area.

But I love San Antonio also. Love the Mexican influence here, the laid-back lifestyle, the theme parks, the proximity to the ocean, the Hill Country. Not as much water as Austin, or places to run and hike for that matter, but we like it. I lived in Dallas for 12 years, don't live there. You'll be bored out of your mind, only things to do up there are go out to eat and watch movies. Even the theme parks and Cowboys are an hours' drive away.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times
Friendly people, not so fast paced. Always someone to talk to, I have been here all my life and have visited other places and I find people here are more laid back, easy going... by the way where else can someone enjoy a FIESTA like San Antonio?

The thing I dislike is the weather.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 PM

60 posts, read 140,958 times
Price of land

Not so bad traffic

I will most likely be moving to the SF Bay Area in the next 6 months and neither of these are true.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM

173 posts, read 598,179 times
Its close to Austin.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM

205 posts, read 603,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Im looking forward to the responses too....as I love California and also enjoy San Antonio, though I am contemplating a move back to the midwest.
California...I love it. mountains, ocean, good food, what more could you want? It's just more expensive to buy a home and the government has some issues right now. most of which will not affect you as a student. It would really only affect you as a home buyer.

so, think about what you want for the future. California might be fun for a student, less fun for a family. San Antonio could be the same...depending on what you are looking for...or the total opposite.
I don't think that's quite true. With the CA gov troubles, comes less higher ed funding, which equates to higher tuition and fees, and possible more stress on the CA higher ed financial aid (Cal Grants, etc.). And with more pricey homes and real estate, that also translates to higher cost to rent (not just for buying houses). I'm sure dorm costs are higher than in Texas.

Also, some CA institutions like the CSUs, particularly SJSU are capping enrollment and had stopped accepting students for whatever semester a while back due to the drop in gov funding. That could affect your chances of getting into a CA school as well.

I'm from CA and considering a possible move to SA. But with the ecomony as it is now, not sure if that's a smart move since I'm not unemployed (yet). Wonder how SA economy is doing. I'm from the tech sector, not sure how easy it is to get a tech job in SA.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
I don't think that's quite true. With the CA gov troubles, comes less higher ed funding, which equates to higher tuition and fees, and possible more stress on the CA higher ed financial aid (Cal Grants, etc.).
Politicans are the ones that make the decision on whether or not something is gonna be funded.
There's not a linear relation between the government budget and the things they fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio