Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:58 AM

160 posts, read 534,346 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to SA and I've heard many people say that they love it there.Please share your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Love SA because of : No snow, No ice.low cost of living,very family friendly for the young kids to taking care of the older parents because of the Medical center area here. Very friendly, the friendliest city I would say in Texas and I have lived and played in Austin,Dallas and Houston. Lots of stuff to do like the Riverwalk,SeaWorld,Fiesta Texas Six Flags. I think you said you were from London and the sun never shines there during the winter (always go there just in time for the big winter sales on Bond street it seems!) and it always shines here and well if your coming from the M. East then well this is a cooler place by about 30 degrees!

Old 07-17-2006, 10:35 PM

Thanks Neddy. Is there anything that you don't like there?

Old 07-18-2006, 05:02 PM

I would say the only thing I dislike is road contruction. Its everywhere and goes on year round since we hardly ever get cold! Building a huge overpass mixmaster type of thing and several other big projects underway but still not really bad traffic as compared to other cities just bumpy!

Old 07-19-2006, 12:10 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
I don't live there but love going and visiting my niece and her family who lives over in Selma. San Antonio is very pretty and there is so much to do as the 2nd poster mentioned. What I would like to add to this thread is the natural beauty that San Antonio has, all those beautiful hills! I love the Hill Country. Once you have seen it and see what the Hills can provide as far as outdoors things to do, I think you would want to live there for sure!

Old 07-19-2006, 02:23 AM

How safe is it for kids? What about the parking around the city?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 AM

The city seems safe enought for kids. my two boys have not had a problem but like any large city you have to watch them. AS far as parking this city was designed for cars! Downtown area you have to pay to park but everywhere else never had trouble finding a spot!
D

Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Default Why I Like San Antonio

I retired from the Air Force here in 1998. However, I have been here since 1990 (this time), and was here in 1972, and 1977-79. I like San Antonio for many reasons. It is a big town that doesn't know it! People get along here (you will not see race riots like in LA (I grew up near there). There is the Hill Country and lots of trees there and in San Antonio. You are centrally located between Dallas, Houston, Corpus Christi, and several border towns of Mexico. Houses are cheaper and cost of living is pretty good. Of course, Texas itself is nice, though when I go to Houston, it feels like I am in California and not in Texas.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:58 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
I was born and raised here and I have seen this city go through ups and downs. Overall I would not live anywhere else in the world. Love the food, the people (some even open the door for women myself included), and there is always something going on. My only concern currently is the horrendous traffic situation along 1604 between Braun and 151. That is more of a TXDOT issue but San Antonio seems to always be behind the times when it comes to decent highways. They are building a super street which is supposed to help, but who knows when that will be completed.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
SA has its share of problems, but I feel that the positive attributes of the city far outweigh the negative.

For one, be ready for some hot, dry weather. You'll get used to it after a while, but at first it will really be noticeable.

Secondly, traffic and especially rush-hour can be a pain. The road infrastructure has not kept up with the population explosion and it shows.

But outside of that, it is a very friendly city with lots to do. We lived all over the world during my 25 years in the USAF, but when the time came for us to decide where we'd live, there was one obvious choice. And I'll be honest and admit I didn't like SA at first, but you have to remember my first experience here was for Air Force basic training and the second was for officer training. Even after we were first stationed here in 1999 I wasn't a huge fan (we just left four years in Germany, the best assignment of my career), but after that first year the city really grew on us. We love the Hill Country and all the towns and sights contained within, and if anyone is bored while living in SA than honestly it's not the city that's at fault. There is a ton of stuff to do here, and most is family-oriented. That is why it is one of the fastest-growing cities in the nation!

Good luck with your decision!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio