Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyinSa View Post
I'm serious about this question because I have applied at many places and aside from out right being ignored even after I send a follow up email or phone call, they will send me a denial email if even that, with no reason other than they found a more suitable applicant.

I find it insulting to be declined a housekeeping job as an example. I applied with several companies. I clean for people right now to put food on the table. I'm good at it but doing so didn't qualify me for the numerous housekeeping positions I applied for?

What's wrong with being a White American female with NO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND?

I have many skills, housekeeping is something I want to do because I enjoy a job that does not tie me to a desk. I type on a average of 55 wpm and my data entry was tested at 8000+ ksph. I've worked in Customer Service jobs over 16 years of my working life and I just need a job that will appreciate my work ethic and treat me as a human being.

Do I have to change my last name to Lopez in this city to find a job?
If i were you I would print up some *very* nice, professional looking fliers and hit some of the *very* upscale subdivisions in town offering your cleaning services. Dress professionally and spend some time talking with the residents. I have a feeling that many rich people would certainly prefer a non-hispanic house cleaner. But you are going to have to do more than fill out applications to make the connection.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 PM

237 posts, read 600,950 times
This thread is all over the place. Race is a red herring here and pretty offensive to use as your main topic. You have health issues, transportation issues, etc. Shoot, some of your stated medical problems got me a medical retirement from the military!

Transportation that is reliable is paramount in being gainfully employed. Your potential job pool gets cut severely if it comes down to riding a bike. You aren't as 'Hey! Hire me!' as your OP states. Your limitations are first and foremost yours.

If someone threw away an application in your presence, or refused to allow you to complete an application (which I seriously doubt even occurred), what did you do about it?

Hell, I need a new cleaning lady, but not someone who doesn't have reliable transportation or would blame their job plight on race. You never know who's reading here, what race they are, what race their spouse is, and you could have just talked yourself right out of some work opportunities. You certainly did with me.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
The EEO asks what Race someone is when they apply and when I've applied in person at some places I haveseen them toss my application in the trash can as I walked away.
If I had a penny for every time a white person threw my application in the trash ... I'd have a lot of money

BTW, "hot women" can get a job anywhere, even if they are green with 3 eyes

Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM

35 posts, read 56,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandCajun View Post
This thread is all over the place. Race is a red herring here and pretty offensive to use as your main topic. You have health issues, transportation issues, etc. Shoot, some of your stated medical problems got me a medical retirement from the military!

Transportation that is reliable is paramount in being gainfully employed. Your potential job pool gets cut severely if it comes down to riding a bike. You aren't as 'Hey! Hire me!' as your OP states. Your limitations are first and foremost yours.

If someone threw away an application in your presence, or refused to allow you to complete an application (which I seriously doubt even occurred), what did you do about it?

I contacted the Texas discrimination department about the issue with the hotel refusing my friende and I a application and because they could not confirm that the place had 8 or more employees they did not pursue it.
What can I do about my application being tossed in the trash? Nothing really. I just basically wasted my time my gas and what little money I had driving to park for the honor of applying at some places on the Riverwalk. Lesson learned, ask for management, next time.

Hell, I need a new cleaning lady, but not someone who doesn't have reliable transportation or would blame their job plight on race. You never know who's reading here, what race they are, what race their spouse is, and you could have just talked yourself right out of some work opportunities. You certainly did with me.

You get what you pay for. Keep a close eye on the housekeeper- just saying.

I'm an American you can trust, but oh well.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If I had a penny for every time a white person threw my application in the trash ... I'd have a lot of money

BTW, "hot women" can get a job anywhere, even if they are green with 3 eyes

I've been told that but I'm not vain.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,923 times
I have not read all the posts but I can say this with all certainty, Your skin color was NOTHING to do with you not getting hired. For crying out loud you are in San Antonio.
I have worked for the same Company for 22 years that has over 1600 employees. Without much thought I would say with surety that most are Mexican Americans / Hispanic. This includes our CEO

I'm 49 and I was always taught that you are the one that determines if you will be hired, not the color of your skin. If you feel that you have to be White to find a fine job you may consider moving to Idaho, Montana, etc.

Just incase your wondering - I'm White.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If i were you I would print up some *very* nice, professional looking fliers and hit some of the *very* upscale subdivisions in town offering your cleaning services. Dress professionally and spend some time talking with the residents. I have a feeling that many rich people would certainly prefer a non-hispanic house cleaner. But you are going to have to do more than fill out applications to make the connection.

20yrsinBranson

thank you I will do that soon. I ran out of ink :P

Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I have not read all the posts but I can say this with all certainty. Your skin color was NOTHING to do with you not getting hired. For crying out load you are in San Antonio.
I work for a Company that has over 1600 employees. Without much thought I would say with surety that most are Mexican Americans / Hispanic. This includes our CEO

I'm 49 and I was always taught that you are the one that determines if you will be hired, not the color of your skin. If you feel that you have to be White to find a fine job you may consider moving to Idaho, Montana, etc.

Just incase your wondering - I'm White.

thanks for your post after everyone responding it's been established and many have given me great ideas and that's all I really needed was people that understood my frustration.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:

thanks for your post after everyone responding it's been established and many have given me great ideas and that's all I really needed was people that understood my frustration.
That looks like a good place to end it. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio