Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor a light-rail system for San Antonio?
Yes 233 77.67%
No 54 18.00%
Maybe/Undecided 13 4.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM

55 posts, read 131,977 times

Advertisements

For Your Information -- Check out these links about the Light Rail Trolley

Phoenix, Arizona
METRO light rail

Back on track? | The San Diego Union-Tribune
After 25 years, the trolley keeps on moving | The San Diego Union-Tribune

In 1933, San Antonio
TTM web (http://www.txtransportationmuseum.org/HIST12.htm - broken link)

Last edited by Busfan; 04-03-2008 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
SA's public transportation system suffers from lack of interest due to lack of functionality for most workers. It cannot add functionality until it has more riders and cant get more riders until it is more functional. Catch-22.
As Dvlpr said, you are right. This is why they are first going to put in the first BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) line on Fredericksburg Road. The busiest bus routes in SA go down this street from Downtown to the Medical Center. In fact the bus shelter (not a park and ride, just a regular shelter at an HEB) at the boundary of my neighborhood has 1000 people use it every day! Most of the BRT route will have dedicated lanes, and I'm betting that these could easily be converted to Light Rail once the concept has proven itself. Because Fred. Rd has such a diversity of uses along it (apartments, single-family homes, small shops, HEB, etc.) I think it could really be wonderful.

What happens at the ends (downtown, med. center), as previously mentioned, is the big question. If the trolleys downtown ran more often, and if they did something similar in the medical center; then success will be assured.

In my opinion, if it doesn't work on Fred. Rd., it won't work anywhere... at least until we grow up as a city a little more.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 PM

126 posts, read 425,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
INCOMING!!!

Mass transit is something EVERYONE can use, including people too young, old, disabled, or poor to own/operate a car.
I always think it is ironic that many times the people who complain the most about funding good public transportation are older anti-tax (I'm on a fixed income) types who, like all of us, are eventually going to be unable to drive. I really hope that by the time I give up my keys I will be able to maintain my independence and have some better transportation choices.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 AM

83 posts, read 299,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
I always think it is ironic that many times the people who complain the most about funding good public transportation are older anti-tax (I'm on a fixed income) types who, like all of us, are eventually going to be unable to drive. I really hope that by the time I give up my keys I will be able to maintain my independence and have some better transportation choices.
me to. and i completely agree with what u said

Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
I always think it is ironic that many times the people who complain the most about funding good public transportation are older anti-tax (I'm on a fixed income) types who, like all of us, are eventually going to be unable to drive.
The people you speak of are the population group who votes in the greatest numbers. They can be counted on to vote in almost every election that involves candidates or taxes. They probably have an opinion on the state railroad commissioner race, the school board and the board of their aquifer authority! That's why the people who support light rail need to realize that they have an uphill battle.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:08 PM

361 posts, read 924,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
Why does SA not have a light rail system?!

Moderator cut: language

Why are you getting mad? What can a light rail do that VIA doesn't? Can it go as many places as VIA does? Would it be any cheaper to use? Where's the economic incentive for one?

I don't think we need a local one, but maybe get one connecting SA to Austin and maybe other Texas cities.

uh........Moderator cut: language

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-04-2008 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: when it's bad the first time around, it doesn't bear repeating!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:01 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Light rail and busses attract totally different groups of people, for whatever reason that is. Proven time and time again. Done correctly, light rail can also travel without dealing with stoplights.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Although as exciting have a light rail system can be, we need to wait until there is a true enough demand to have one. Upon reading your claim, I took the liberty to research how these light rails function and how these would work to our advantage or not. For the most part, a Light-Rail system is the most eco-friendly public transportation system around because it is able to transport hundreds of people at a time with low energy usage. But, the issue is money and demand... unless the TIRZ, or South Broadway/North River whatever project is a true success, I do not see San Antonio needing a light-rail system. We simply do not have enough people who would depend on public transportation across downtown to afford such a system. If we do implement a light rail under status quo, the city would have no choice but to raise taxes or increase our subaverage VIA bus fares. That is a price I am not willing to pay just yet.

P.S. It is great that you are looking for alternatives to make this city better..

So many cities with smaller populations have light rail in place. Austin is on the path to have one. San Antonio is only getting bigger and with high gas prices we need more commuting options.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 PM

55 posts, read 131,977 times
Default San Antonio Light Rail (Trolley)

Gas prices are rising and the VIA Transportation is way too far behind in San Antonio, TX which don’t have rail transportation like San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Seattle, Denver, and Dallas.

Arizona new trolley beginning December 2008
METRO light rail

In San Diego, the MTDB (Metropolitan Transit Development Board) had a plan to bring back the trolley. Apparently that the Southern Pacific didn’t want any more business so they wanted to sell the tracks due to the summer flash flood in Imperial Valley that have washed away.

So under their agreements, MTDB had to purchase the whole railroad tracks from San Diego to Imperial Valley and El Cajon.

Their first line operated July 1981 was from Downtown to International Border went very successful. For the last 20 years, the MTDB continued working on their projects to expand the lines. So there are three lines which now are colors.
Red Line - Old Town to Tijuana/Border via Downtown San Diego
Orange Line - 12 th & Imperial, Convention Center, Downtown San Diego to El Cajon
Green Line - Old Town to El Cajon, Santee via SDSU

Please note: Los Angeles now have trolley lines right after San Diego Trolley re-birth.

The opponents are anti-trolley that has nothing to do with taxes. They love their cars and they like the traffic. The next 5 to 10 years, roads and highways will be like Los Angeles that many opponents don’t realize what’s happening in San Antonio today! Eventhough the opponents wanted to drive 2 hours to and from work within 10 miles during the rush hour.

“The San Diego Trolley” book by Gene Holle, were not used by any Federal funds. It was used by local and state tax. They started off at $8.6 million light rail 16 miles.

Former Republican San Diego Mayor/California Gov. Pete Wilson and Former Democrat San Mayor Maureen O’Conner were involved with the light rail program.

The money should help pay for the project by local and state tax. Small percentage gasoline tax, perhaps.

Who all would have to be involved to execute a trolley system?
It’s a very difficult to answer this. It started off by a small group in way for the long run. After the small group being active, it grew bigger and bigger and more people were interesting to have the trolley back.

The San Diego Union-Tribune links:
Back on track? | The San Diego Union-Tribune
After 25 years, the trolley keeps on moving | The San Diego Union-Tribune

San Antonio
The City of San Antonio population is growing rapidly and the VIA public Transit will eventually demand better transportation impact.

The community will need 3 transit systems, BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), Trolley (Rail Transportation), and regular transit bus in certain areas.

If the community is unable to enhance public transportation in time will allow increase traffic problems, however, the roads and highways will be like Los Angeles that the community wouldn’t want that. History, San Antonio was the first major cities in the nation have had shut down the trolley back in 1933.

1st in the Nation
TTM web (http://www.txtransportationmuseum.org/HIST12.htm - broken link)

San Diego Electric Railway had ceased April 24, 1949. Many of these PCC fleets were sold to El Paso and ran until 1970.

An interesting history on about Rochester, New York the smallest city subway had operated. It was shut down by one of the Republican representative who opposed rail transportation which has been lost for several decades. The main advantage for Rochester community if the subway is operating today will help people move around more freely by avoiding the terrible snow storms during the winter. Before the subway was shut down, Toronto, Canada Transit Board has tried hard to save it and it apparently that a Republican representative had won!

San Antonio need to have the trolley re-birth because this city barely bigger than San Diego. No light rail mass transportation and many Texas residences do not understand the tool that the light rail trolley attracts many riders and tourists.

After the San Diego trolley re-birth July 1981, for the first few months of services, the number of riders have gone up rapidly un-expected so they had to add a third car to make it 3. About a year later, by the Naval Ship building during the rush hour, enormous number of riders packed at the station waiting for the trolley. It was very successful and it is good to have at least number of cars off the road as much as possible.

The former Republican San Diego Mayor/California Gov. Pete Wilson was very involved with the light rail trolley transportation that have became successfully in San Diego. He was at the SDSU (San Diego State University) presentation ceremony July 2005 before the service officially available for the Green Line. This line has a tunnel/subway under SDSU.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 PM

337 posts, read 826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
INCOMING!!!

First of all, if you don't travel to downtown, you shouldn't care. Stay out in the suburbs. And deal with hellish auto traffic. And miss experiencing the great civic amenities (museums, parks, architecture, culture) that SA has to offer. It truly is your loss.

"My tax dollars at work", huh? Welcome to the party. How do you think we (people who live and work near downtown) feel about the painfully expensive highway and thoroughfare projects in YOUR part of the world that provide zero benefit to us? How do you think we feel about subsidizing your ridiculous, selfish suburban lifestyle with OUR tax dollars?

Why is mass transit is important?

Mass transit is something EVERYONE can use, including people too young, old, disabled, or poor to own/operate a car.

Mass transit is an investment that will benefit people now AND in the future, once suburbia (and the corresponding auto-dependency) become difficult to sustain.

Mass transit is a much safer form of transportation.

Mass transit doesn't degrade the environment nearly as much as auto-centric transportation.

And so forth, and so on.

A further bone to pick with you (and all suburbanites): did you not notice that Blanco Road was a 2-lane, country road when you bought your precious suburban home? Or did you just assume that once you bought your home that "someone else" would fix it? Do you not understand that the reason it's packed with cars is because driving is mandatory in suburbia? Do you not understand that you're part of the problem?
Well, I thank you for your heated Moderator cut: inappropriate response. For the record I work from home and I don't drive anywhere to go to work. I guess you could say the airport is where I work since I spend more time in and out of that place so spare me your anger towards us suburbanites.

I guess I could say the same to you, you work downtown and go downtown, why is that my problem? I don't feel that I miss anything but crowds by not heading downtown. I can only assume that you being so good take the bus everywhere you need to go so you too are not part of the problem you assume everyone in the burbs is.
Good for you, I pat you on the back for being the solution to all of our problems.
PS, they want to widen blanco road the whole thing, how naughty of you to think the only part the needs widening is the stone oak portion.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-06-2008 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: no personal attacks... inappropriate remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio