Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor a light-rail system for San Antonio?
Yes 233 77.67%
No 54 18.00%
Maybe/Undecided 13 4.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:46 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
If it's meant for tourists...let them pay for it. Slap a small tax on hotels both here and in Austin. Pay for it that way. Lord knows how many arenas and stadiums I've helped pay for during my career while traveling on business.
Do you really think it will be only for tourists? It make take some time to pry those diesel dually trucks away, but eventually rail could become the way of life for us all...espically as San Antonio grows and so does the traffic issues as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 02:58 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Do you really think it will be only for tourists? It make take some time to pry those diesel dually trucks away, but eventually rail could become the way of life for us all...espically as San Antonio grows and so does the traffic issues as well.
I'll move 1st before I'm forced to give up my vehicle.
Some people may use the choo-choo....but what are you going to do when you get to the train station? Uber?
Kind of defeats the purpose.
I enjoy the freedom of going where I want, when I want, in the comfort of my own vehicle.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:02 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Quote:

No, the other poster said it was for tourists (was just responding to him). Still, let someone else pay for it...as this seems to be the main belly-ache people have for it here.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Where would it start and where would it go? One thought I have is that it could theoretically connect UTSA Downtown to UTSA main campus with stops at USAA, the Medical Center and SAC. Not sure what the exact route would be it makes sense to go North which is where most of the traffic congestion is.

A second line could connect UTSA Downtown to the ATT Center with stops downtown and St. Phillips College.

There is no where for it to go South except maybe South Park Mall of Palo Alto College.

West perhaps near Our Lady of the Lake Univ.

The route to Austin is also a good idea, but that is more than light rail, that requires a train.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:25 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
No, the other poster said it was for tourists (was just responding to him). Still, let someone else pay for it...as this seems to be the main belly-ache people have for it here.
Local government has no problem bleeding people's money for useless stuff anyways.....

Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Lots of people would use light rail between Austin and San Antonio for work as well as getting from events to events. Getting to big ticket SA things like the Final Four and maybe Fiesta would be a draw for Austinites and being able to get to Austin easily for music events like ACL and ACL would be a good thing. I might use it to get from where I live now to see my family down in SA.

The light rail in Austin a mess as its defined use is for commuting and not getting from real point A to point B. There are talks of it going to the airport and expanding west towards campus, but those are pipe dreams. Even though they're "progressive" there's still people against it.

As far as where I could see any local line going in SA I could see it being a commuter type of thing going down 281 with then an increase in the express bus routes to hubs like USAA and the Medcal Center.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Local government has no problem bleeding people's money for useless stuff anyways.....

Of course, but wasn't this voted down at the local level...taking it out of the local guv's hands? I would think things would be different with at least 2 cities involved (possibly state) and the hotel/car rental tax could be implemented at that level.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Do any of you have any idea as to what the rail line itself would cost?

Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 PM

Nope. You have an estimate?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:30 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Nope. You have an estimate?
$1.8 Billion construction only - and that was in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio