Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor a light-rail system for San Antonio?
Yes 233 77.67%
No 54 18.00%
Maybe/Undecided 13 4.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:17 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,634 times

Advertisements

That's not light rail, that is commuter rail. Two different forms of rail transit.

I believe also that it will only offer morning rides and afternoon rides.

It won't be a full day/night rider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Yup, the one proposed for Leander is definitely only for morning and evening commutes, which quite frankly doesn't seem worth it. What would happen if you got a call from the school saying you had to come pick up your kid cause she's sick? Do you take a cab back to Leander?

But, I was hoping the other site might be of some help.

Good luck with your campaign.

AT

Old 05-03-2007, 04:29 PM

If you want, please, anyone seriously interested, contact me via my email address.

dmarc22@gmail.com

Old 05-03-2007, 07:35 PM

33 posts, read 89,252 times
I was directed here today, and I'm all for this. This is all I do in my spare time, brainstorm on this sort of thing! I'm going to school for urban planning when I finish my bachelor's degree in a few years here, and in the meantime, I want to cut my teeth good and deep on something like this. Lived in SA for over 20 years, from birth to most of my early 20s... now I live in Portland, a model of good light rail planning (and bad).

Anyway, I can do what I can to help! I have a million ideas and several notebooks full of them. Things like The Deco Line, The Spurs Line, The Skyline, station design, traffic flow considerations, New Starts info, precedents, etc.

Oh man, can you tell that this excited me? It sure did!

Oh! And what about things like line name considerations, like why you shouldn't name trains "Red Line" in certain neighborhoods? Okay, I'll shut up now. Where can I help?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I can build a decent website. What information exactly will we want on this site? I am guessing the basic pages: Facts, Proposal, Contacts, Links, Updates, Examples (other cities that have utilized light rail), Info. from the 2000 proposal. We will need pictures, graphs/charts, quotes, possibly renderings? to help illustrate our point. I know a few city council members have expressed interest in light-rail. We would also have to decide on a domain name.
I suppose the main menu should hit the meat of the issue:

1) What is it?
2) How would it work?
3) How much would it cost the taxpayers (where would the money come from?)
4) What are the benefits of light rail?

Then branch from those main points. For example, point 3 can cover all bases by bringing up new starts money, sponsorship from tram companies like bombardier and siemens, and it can also tie into the benefits portion by mentioning things like the explosive growth light rail has brought to cities like portland and dallas.

People want to know about the money aspects first and foremost. The sad fact of the matter is that every light rail plan that has been scuttled recently has been over money. The government is quietly shuffling money into funding for starter systems and intelligent expansions for future budgets (evidenced by their willingness to front more money for legitimate light rail and brt lines), it's a no brainer as far as the topic goes, but the general populace doesn't know that because they hear "taxes".

Investment in infrastructure is vital, and that's the biggest point that should be made in regards to the money issue.

Furthermore, SA hasn't got the hills and rivers most other cities do. We have roads and such, but people understand and pre-plan for disruptions of the construction sort.

And what about groups like the TI and Cascade Policy Group that are actively seeking to kill funding to light rail and reroute it to new roads? I assume the logical way to combat this is by explaining the limitations of new roads, the incredible capacity of light rail (we haven't got the short blocks that portland does, so a high capacity train is easy to run... I dare say we could run 4 car trains for express runs), the limited space we have, the fact that you can only build so far before you run out of jobs, and so on and so forth.

Also, you can mention that the further out you go, the more likely you are to hit a toll road, so the logic falls in making a dedicated corridor that can carry a lot of people at once.

As far as who would ride, the MAX in portland is seen as far more glamorous than the run of the mill bus, and that's why you regularly see people in suits and nice clothing, heading off to dinner in XYZ fantastically gorgeous restaurant while their car sits parked safely in a park and ride about 15 miles away.

Oh, someone stop me or at least raise some more focused points so I don't write a thesis, haha

Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Is this AlexJon from SSP??

Old 05-03-2007, 08:08 PM

I guess I'll get myself up to speed further (without benefit of an edit, hey).

My line ideas:
Deco Line (BRT then LRT, Red Line): From the west side multimodal up to just south of San Pedro Park, hang a left to head up Fred, go through the deco district, quick stop at crossroads, then jog up toward the medical center, UTSA, and Fiesta Texas

Skyline (LRT, Blue Line): Shares partial tracking with Deco Line, but cuts up to San Pedro and heads up through to the Airport with a central station and shuttles to complete the route at the main terminals.

Fiesta Line (LRT, Orange Line): Shares tracks with Spurs Line downtown, but cuts north on Losoya to Broadway, and heads up to UIW and the Zoo. A turn-around at the head of the battle of flowers staging area with a bypass would allow for rerouting during the parades.

Spurs Line (LRT, Silver line): Crosstown route, from the west side to the SBC Center. Runs an express during games that uses an all stop in each occupied block to allow for high speed transportation to and from during game time.

VIA Rapid 1604/410 (BRT, Green line): Loops on 1604 and 410.

The Deco Line and Spurs line are priorty, Skyline and Fiesta line are secondary, VIA Rapid is tertiary.

I propose that the lines take on recognizable names that are distinctly SA; further, I propose that the stations also have an easy way to remember them: Station codes. For example, the Deco District HEB would be "HEB", the SBC center would be "SBC", Kelly USA would be "KLY", etc.

For the Deco Line, I propose that the light poles that line the stations be made in a deco style, cast in concrete, up to the fringes of the medical center. Within the medical center, however, they would be made of metal and easily replaced so as to limit down time in the case of an accident.

In the transition, these poles can be capped easily to add OCS/Catenary support for light rail.

Fare zones would be simple: Local service would use the regular VIA fare structure, express service would use a 2 or 3 zone system. Fares could be enforced by having all high traffic stations turnstiled in the Curitiba manner with fare enforcement at regular intervals.

Cost per mile wouldn't be too high, considering the amount of aid and assistance the city could receive from various portions of the state. There are planning firms sitting idle, there are construction companies that are well trained in this. It's not that hard!

Anyway, enough blather from me for now.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Is this AlexJon from SSP??
Yeah, that'd be me

Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM

I'm currently trying to get a website developer (his work includes www.csanantonio.com) as well as try to come up with a domain name.

Shoot me an email at dmarc22@gmail.com so everyone can get on board.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
7 years ago SA voted against light-rail. Now do you think the city is ready?

I favor the idea, and think the city would benefit from such. If something small (but expandable) was proposed it could be voted on, passed, constructed, and operational in 4 years. By 2012 I think that it would really help the city. Road construction is still planned through 2030! That alone can't keep up, and a light-rail system would offer an attractive solution. It would also be more eco-friendly. With the large amount of college students that would be able to utilize the rail, it could help attract more out-of-town students. This would be a plus for UTSA which hopes to reach tier 1 status. It could also help with the college's attempt to get a football team operational. The city itself would, in my opinion, look more appealing in its attempt to land a pro-football (and other pro sports) team. It would be great for tourists as well!

http://images.nycsubway.org/i28000/img_28486.jpg
Picture of new light-rail system in Houston, and typical station.
world.nycsubway.org/United States/Houston, Texas
I wasn't aware that San Antonio needed one . And Houston practically just got one and we needed it more than any other city in this country. Mind you, ours isn't even finished. It's still under development that will take it from poor to great. But San Antonio? I mean, does y'all's airport even have a lightrail?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-08-2008 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: copyrighted pics - replaced w/links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio