Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,837,802 times

Advertisements

Just an update. I know a lot of you are as eager as me to get better money coming in, but be careful. I answered a legitimate looking ad for a bookkeeper/accountant position on Craigslist a month ago in the San Antonio area. The next day I got responses back, at first it was all ok, but then it started getting strange. I was told I needed my own laptop and printer to do the job, and I would be sent the money to buy this. I was given a phone number to contact and that was the end of it. A week later I receive 4 USPS Money Orders in the mail for almost $3,200. When I emailed the person who sent them to me, I was told put them in my bank account, buy the laptop, and send the excess to "MoneyGram" Brooklyn New York, and a generic name.
The Money Orders were counterfeit, I didn't cash them, but I can bet that some people might, and then their bank will come back to them for the amount that it shows on the MO, plus also seek legal charges against them. Please be careful when answering and applying online. Scammers, are out to get you, and don't care if you go to jail, or go deeper in debt.
Just a warning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,455 times
have you reported the phone number, and the generic address to the authorities? I hate scammers, but some of them are clever.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Oh yes, FBI, and USPS inspector

Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM

i hope he gets caught, Kudos for not cashing it in your bank acount. there is a way to cash them at liqour stores.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
That's a pretty old scam but, I agree, It's best to run up the red flag for all to see when it pops up in a new place. Thanks for posting.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 PM

do you still have the link for that add, that way we can all report him, and it will be like adding more firewood to his fire pit

Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM

The Craigslist ad has been deleted, for anyone that believes they may be a victim of fraud on the Internet, a good website to know about is,
Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

You can report just about any kind of internet fraud on this link and it will get to the authorities so they can combine their efforts to see how many times this type of crime has been committed and by whom.
They believe mine was by the "Nigerian Money Order Scammers" So many of them they have a hard time keeping up with it. The Money orders were really GOOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio