Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Note that speed advisories are simply that...a speed advisory. There is no requirement to slow down to that speed--it is not the same as a speed limit sign!

Last edited by majormadmax; 10-03-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Yes major, and I stated that, but, had he heeded that warning, the recklessness would have been a whole lot less. Another point in this is, this accident happened just past the Fire Station on Hwy 16. Now, any idiot that lives in that area should know two things, one, you always slow down in that area because a huge truck might have to come out at a moments notice, two, the visibility is very good around that corner, and its a wide corner, because of those trucks. And an ADVISORY, yes, its not law but, notice of caution necessary, and slower driving would be advised, which in this case would have been a lifesaver. Also, as of Friday, no charges had been filed, nor a citation issued, but, the Sheriff's Dept has forwarded all it's findings to the prosecuters office to determine if any charges should be filed against the driver. (just because charges aren't filed immediately doesn't mean that they won't be filed as soon as the evidence is all compiled)
And I damn well know that a yellow caution advisory sign is just that, but wouldn't it be nice if some other drivers did also. Its also a point to bring out that if the bicyclists were doing everything that they could above and beyond the call of safety necessary, obeying, that this driver of the truck should be expected to do the same, such as, slow down to 50mph on a curve with concrete barricades on one side which will force you to go to the side of least resistance if you lose control of your vehicle, ie, the one with bicyclists, rather than the one with concrete barricades.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:34 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Did someone say there was a propane gas tank repository at the dangerous curve section of the road? Um, you sure we want to locate propane gas tanks in that spot?? Maybe a wake up call....

Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 PM

If you sit along that curve on any given day you will find that the vast majority of vehicles do not slow down to the advisory speed and--no surprise--they stay well within the lane. I have also personally witness vehicles traveling well above the post speed limit in that very curve and still maintain their position within their lane.

I think bicycles should not be allowed on any road where the posted speed limit is 45 MPH or higher. It is a safety issue, as this accident clearly shows. There should be a minimum speed on such roads, and bicycles have no business where the movement of traffic is that fast.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
I drove on 16 this morning near the bike accident area and wasn't sure whether the area where the accident was is the correct location. Further down the road (South of Picoso's) on the south bound sound of Hwy16 is a white bicycle sculpture with flowers. Is that a memorial to the victims?

It was very wet, cold and there was a constant drizzle of rain. Yet, many bikers were still out there in force riding this morning.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,559 times
This was a very sad story, tragic for the family and the daughter's loss. I wonder if we will ever know anything else about the driver? Other than recklessness, what caused him to veer off the road and hit the bicyclists? I travel the same roads daily, and always I am very careful around the bicyclist. Tx. Hwy. 16 has many curves and the speed limit is high at 65 m.p.h.. Drivers should slow down, but then there is the ongoing debate about allowing cyclist to ride on the open shoulder, and at the same time, do the bicyclist realize they may be at risk, especially during inclement weather?

Last edited by kittykat13; 10-11-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I drove on 16 this morning near the bike accident area and wasn't sure whether the area where the accident was is the correct location. Further down the road (South of Picoso's) on the south bound sound of Hwy16 is a white bicycle sculpture with flowers. Is that a memorial to the victims?

It was very wet, cold and there was a constant drizzle of rain. Yet, many bikers were still out there in force riding this morning.
I am not sure, I thought it was closer to the propane place. I was out there earlier in the week on the motorcycle and rode up and down that section of 16 outside of Helotes going west towards Bandera and couldn't find any indications of the location of the accident. Maybe it was further west than I had thought...

Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I am not sure, I thought it was closer to the propane place. I was out there earlier in the week on the motorcycle and rode up and down that section of 16 outside of Helotes going west towards Bandera and couldn't find any indications of the location of the accident. Maybe it was further west than I had thought...
I saw the white bicycle this morning that Nick is talking about. It is just north of the bad curve (with the cement barriers in the median). The propane place is actually on the curve.
I think the bicycle is new, if you go back out that way you will see it. You can't miss it.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
Here is a pic of the accident site:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ccident008.jpg

And the bike is new, painted by the guy who took the pic above. Sorry I don't know how to embed photos into this forum, hope the link works.

I am not familiar with the road where the wreck occurred, but the pic sure doesn't show a curve.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 PM

325 posts, read 781,206 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio