U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,499,245 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Just watching KSAT news and there was a horrible accident on HWY 16 in Helotes involving a pick up truck and two cyclists on a dual seater bike. The woman cyclist has died and the male cyclist is in critical condition.

My heart goes out to these people and to their families. Please take care when driving past cyclists. I know its hard but just slow down until you are able to move around them. I wish everyone all the best when driving and to be more aware of your surroundings whilst driving, cycling or walking.

Yours sincerely
MrsX
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM

12,088 posts, read 13,694,831 times
I'm always petrified when there is a motorcycle in front of me. I remember ( way back in the 70's) my brothers headlight went out on his and he needed to get it home, so I followed him so my headlights would be on him , that way he could see and he could be seen. Was scared to death the entire way he was going to fall over and I was going to run over him.

Remember, it was the 70's...

I'm always extra careful when ever there is a cycle anywhere near me.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 9,202,129 times
Quote:
A bicyclist was killed and another critically injured Thursday morning after a being involved in an accident with a Ford truck, authorities said.
The accident occurred around 10:45 a.m. in the 18500 block of Texas 16, about three miles north of Helotes. Moderator cut: remainder of copyrighted article
SAdddddd

Last edited by Bo; 10-01-2009 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Please provide a link and quote a couple of sentences from copyrighted articles.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 PM

3,968 posts, read 5,138,404 times
Okay, this family has my sympathy and condolences. BUT...any other bikers out there who ride along highways and sometimes go close to or into the lanes...WHY?????? Are you suicidal? Don't care? What? I'm sorry, but I've seen bike drivers risk their lives too often! I've mentally cringed every time I see it. In an accident between a vehicle driven by a human and a human on a bike, there is usually a big loser...the human on the bike. I was once hit by a car while crossing a street..on foot. And believe me, I have a lot respect for cars, the injuries they can cause. On a highway like that one, speeds tend to be high and unfortunately many drivers aren't paying attention...daydreaming, distracted by personal problems, texting, talking on a cell phone, looking around at kids misbehaving in the car, impaired by drugs or alcohol, etc. I get angry at those who risk their lives while carelessly biking along highways, can't help it, that's the way I feel. I don't want people to die or have major injuries like those two.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM

181 posts, read 570,096 times

We've loved our time in SA but I do wish there were more biking/running friendly roads around the city. This was one of our biggest surprises upon moving here. There is a need for more running/biking trails or more running/biking friendly streets for people to exercise and commute in these ways.

Because of the lack of trails, etc. it means fewer people out and even fewer watching as closely for runners and bikers. I feel so bad for all those involved in this accident. Very, very sad.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM

2,970 posts, read 9,202,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Okay, this family has my sympathy and condolences. BUT...any other bikers out there who ride along highways and sometimes go close to or into the lanes...WHY?????? Are you suicidal? Don't care? What? I'm sorry, but I've seen bike drivers risk their lives too often! I've mentally cringed every time I see it. In an accident between a vehicle driven by a human and a human on a bike, there is usually a big loser...the human on the bike. I was once hit by a car while crossing a street..on foot. And believe me, I have a lot respect for cars, the injuries they can cause. On a highway like that one, speeds tend to be high and unfortunately many drivers aren't paying attention...daydreaming, distracted by personal problems, texting, talking on a cell phone, looking around at kids misbehaving in the car, impaired by drugs or alcohol, etc. I get angry at those who risk their lives while carelessly biking along highways, can't help it, that's the way I feel. I don't want people to die or have major injuries like those two.
So your opinion, because idiots in cars use cell phones or don't pay attention we shouldn't ride bikes on the shoulder, walk on the sidewalks, in that logic, to walk thru the parking lot or cross the street we are risking our lives. We have the right to do these things, the people on the bike were riding it legally, in bright daylight, 10:45am, on the shoulder, the truck driver had veered off the road before, behind them, whether they were riding a bike, walking, or fixing a flat on a disable vehicle, he would have hit them. The results would have been the same. The driver was at fault. People who drive carelessly need to have their license taken away and penalized severely. Don't penalize the people that are the victims of idiots.!

Quote:
We've loved our time in SA but I do wish there were more biking/running friendly roads around the city. This was one of our biggest surprises upon moving here. There is a need for more running/biking trails or more running/biking friendly streets for people to exercise and commute in these ways.

Because of the lack of trails, etc. it means fewer people out and even fewer watching as closely for runners and bikers. I feel so bad for all those involved in this accident. Very, very sad.
This is a Biker friendly road. The idiot behind the wheel of the truck was not, Plenty of room for bikes, hikers.

Last edited by sinsativ; 10-01-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM

12,088 posts, read 13,694,831 times
I would like to ask a question about bicycles on roads like Talley Road and Wiseman Blvd, and this is just a question..

Why is it legal on dangerous road like these that have so many dangerous curves and blind spots? How it is legal to put so many lives in danger? These roads are dangerous enough as it is. Every so often you see MANY bicyclist, adults and children a like, riding all over the road with no respect to safety of themselves or others.. They do not all stay on the side where there is room to pass, so cars pass them anyway ( not me, it scares me to death) thus making an accident more possible putting everyone in jeopardy. Is there nio minimum speed anymore?

I know this is a touchy subject to some people, I'm not trying to stir any emotions on this but I would love to know.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,690,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I would like to ask a question about bicycles on roads like Talley Road and Wiseman Blvd, and this is just a question..

Why is it legal on dangerous road like these that have so many dangerous curves and blind spots? How it is legal to put so many lives in danger? These roads are dangerous enough as it is. Every so often you see MANY bicyclist, adults and children a like, riding all over the road with no respect to safety of themselves or others.. They do not all stay on the side where there is room to pass, so cars pass them anyway ( not me, it scares me to death) thus making an accident more possible putting everyone in jeopardy. Is there nio minimum speed anymore?

I know this is a touchy subject to some people, I'm not trying to stir any emotions on this but I would love to know.
Good question. I've often wondered about this too.
They ride on Park Road 37 at Medina Lake also . That's just plain scary. I don't even like to drive on that road.

Hwy 16 (where this accident occured) seems to be a cyclist friendly hwy. It is sad because these people probably thought they were safe there.
I feel bad for their families.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM

13,806 posts, read 27,661,120 times
you are suicidal if you're going to ride a bike down those roads and the many others like it.

I had a close incident with one not too long ago because the fool was in the road instead of the extra room outside the white line. Luckily the bicyclists aren't as bad as the motorcyclists, though. Any time I hear of an accident involving them I figure they deserved it. I don't think I've found one yet that didn't drive wreckless and with an attitude. I used to have a bike and I know that's not the way to be. You always lose, ALWAYS. Ride smart and assume everyone is going to hit you.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:57 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,416,344 times
Not that it was the case here, but I have witnessed a fair share of idiocy by bicyclists on the roads around here as well! Mainly on the access roads of 1604 up here on the NW side of town, but on Scenic Loop and a number of other less-than-safe places to ride as well.

For some reason there are bicyclists out there who want everyone else to follow the rules of the road, but don't think they have to as well.

Normally the more they try to look like Lance Armstrong, the worse they are about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio