Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

hmm, I guess I'm lacking a few years worth of sleep. I got up early and went down late as a kid in Michigan, which meant I probably got maybe 7-8 hours at the most. Playing football, basketball, baseball, swimming, exploring, bicycling, hockey, ice skating, skiiing etc.. there was too much to do to sleep through it all.
I laughed at my dad when he once told me not to call my brother too late because he had to get up early for work. His version of early was 6:30..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi1234 View Post
What time does she go to bed?
You would cringe if I told you . She is very active in sports and takes all AP classes so she has TONS of homework. She is in 8th grade, not elementary. Speaking of homework, now that bothers me. My daughter has homework EVERY night and some evenings it takes her 3 hours to do it. I know it is from the advanced classes but I think that is a little excessive.
Don't even get me started on those darn AR points

Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
I believe the school start times are staggered due to the bus schedules, too. The bus that picks up the elementary school kid probably also has a second route to work, either for middle school or high school. Maybe someone out there knows!

When my kids were in private school, the start time varied from 750 to 810. When they were participating in sports (middle school), they had to be there for 7am practices. Never seemed to bother them and they did manage to get enough sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
You would cringe if I told you . She is very active in sports and takes all AP classes so she has TONS of homework. She is in 8th grade, not elementary. Speaking of homework, now that bothers me. My daughter has homework EVERY night and some evenings it takes her 3 hours to do it. I know it is from the advanced classes but I think that is a little excessive.
Oh, AMEN! Why is it that the home work takes sooooooo long to do? And why so many busy work projects? My kiddos are in high school and my son remarked to me the other day that he didn't realize that he would be doing arts and crafts projects (for one of his elective classes) in high school!

I hate to tell you this TXtrkgrl, but it only gets worse when the yung'ens get to high school. AP/Pre-AP classes are one thing, but the GT classes are a totally new ball game. Practices after school (or before, depending) are very time consuming and to add homework on top of it makes for a very long day.
My daughter said it so well, "Homework is my life." She so looks forward to the weekend when she can take a break! (hmmm...sounds like a lot of us, doesn't it?)

Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post

I hate to tell you this TXtrkgrl, but it only gets worse when the yung'ens get to high school. AP/Pre-AP classes are one thing, but the GT classes are a totally new ball game. Practices after school (or before, depending) are very time consuming and to add homework on top of it makes for a very long day.
My daughter said it so well, "Homework is my life." She so looks forward to the weekend when she can take a break! (hmmm...sounds like a lot of us, doesn't it?)
I know exactly what you mean. This is actually my second kid, I already had one finish high school. But all those AP classes paid off, she graduated high school with 22 college hours .

I don't remember my oldest having this much homework though. OMG, she asked me to help her with her Algebra the other night, ~LOL what a joke .

Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 PM

43 posts, read 114,265 times
Quote:
Quote:
I believe the school start times are staggered due to the bus schedules, too. The bus that picks up the elementary school kid probably also has a second route to work, either for middle school or high school. Maybe someone out there knows!

When my kids were in private school, the start time varied from 750 to 810. When they were participating in sports (middle school), they had to be there for 7am practices. Never seemed to bother them and they did manage to get enough sleep.

Oh, AMEN! Why is it that the home work takes sooooooo long to do? And why so many busy work projects? My kiddos are in high school and my son remarked to me the other day that he didn't realize that he would be doing arts and crafts projects (for one of his elective classes) in high school!

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. This is actually my second kid, I already had one finish high school. But all those AP classes paid off, she graduated high school with 22 college hours .

I don't remember my oldest having this much homework though. OMG, she asked me to help her with her Algebra the other night, ~LOL what a joke .

The homework is crazy. It is another reason on our list of why we homeschool. Best of luck to your kids!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:

Good for her on earning those college credits!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I think you are absolutely correct about the buses. Our district starts elem, middle, and hs at different times because of the buses. But it is for the afternoon routes. Elem has to start early so they can let them out earlier.

My poor kid's bus ride is 1 hour and 25 minutes in the afternoon (if she doesn't have practice).

Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I've already been at work for about an hour by 6:50.. is 11 hours of sleep healthy? I remember staying out most of the day when I was a kid and that's the way it should be. Worn out kids aren't cranky, on drugs, tagging, or anything else like that.
Because everyone is just like you?

If I could, I'd get 10-11 hours of sleep every night. I just need a lot of sleep. I'm also not a morning person - never have been - and if I'd had to be at school at 7:30 in the morning I would have been half asleep for half the day. It's hard enough getting to work by 8:00.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Because everyone is just like you?

If I could, I'd get 10-11 hours of sleep every night. I just need a lot of sleep. I'm also not a morning person - never have been - and if I'd had to be at school at 7:30 in the morning I would have been half asleep for half the day. It's hard enough getting to work by 8:00.
I'm not a morning person either. I get up at 5:00am but it is not pretty

Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
Quote:
Good for your daughter and her 22 hours!! Saves quite a bit on tuition! Mine hopes to graduate with as many hours as she can, too.

Quote:
LOL! Mine asked me to help her with her Physics! Now that's a real joke! She still can't believe I never had to take it in high school. I told her it wasn't a requirement back then. LOL She couldn't believe that, either. "School must have been so much easier way back then." The way she said "way back then", you would think that the hardest subject I took was the Care and Feeding of Dinosaurs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio